Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a problem with shoulder acne for a few years now. I've been to two different dermotoligists many times and been prescribed a handful of different medications, but nothing works at all. It's like they're just throwing crap against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

On my last visit, the doc wanted to put me on Acutane. He told me I'd need monthly blood tests while on and it handed me a a freakin BOOK listing all the side effects. After reading it, I decided that I didn't want to go on that.

So I'm calling on all you SAS doctors:b to help me out with suggestions?

I think the weather and hair growth might play a role in this. I've noticed that the acne is not as bad in the summer months. And I never had a problem with acne on my shoulders before I started growing hair there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mine goes somewhat up and down as well. I don't have much anymore though.

Hows your diet? Can acne come as an allergic reaction to something? Do you clean your face regularly (daily, twice daily).

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This thread seems so relevant.

I used to be in the same boat as you. Bad acne, I tried over the counter junk, supermarket products like clearasil etc. Tried going to normal doctor and they would prescribe random pills, I must have tried about 20 diffrent things n my life ranging from face wash, pills, lotions etc.

Then I decided to go to the demratologist, he also told me I needed acutane. He told me the side effects. At first, i was slitghly startled at them, but decided enough was enough and took the chance. I know it is diffrent for everyone, but there was only side-effect for me and that was dry lips. After about 2 weeks of starting acutane, my lips got very dry and I had to apply lip-moisturiser multiple times a day.

The good news is, it works, the stuf works great. After about 3 months on it, my acne was gone and hasnt returned. I defianantly think its worth it if that helps. Having no acne is better than dry lips for 3 months ;)

My only regret is not getting acutane earlier in my life, perhaps could have avoided the nasty scars I have from acne.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I don't know. I've had acne on my back and shoulders since puberty. I'd be skeptical whether or not a pill could really do anything.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I've been giving the Clinique acne system a try. This is my last system that I'm going to try before going to the university clinic and begging for Accutane or Retin-A or whatever.

So far it has been working, but my skin is dry to the point of ridiculousness. I suppose for men that's okay, because you can just exfoliate, moisturize and be on your way. But when you have to use foundation, my dry skin becomes glaringly obvious...

I had a dermatologist in Atlanta, but he didn't believe in the major prescription treatments for acne. He'd have special products made by his pharmacists. It never worked, always irritated my skin and felt grainy and poorly made. Although to be fair, I wasn't a candidate for Accutane at the time, because I was on SSRIs. I still feel like he should have given actual prescription topical systems a try, though.

I've never had a problem with body acne, my main problem is with my face.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Accutane, fixed my skin forever, used to have bad face acne and have a flawless face now

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I know people who used accutane, and it made their skin look amazing.

I used retin-a for a few months and it did eff-all. Go for the tane.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've never really suffered with acne but for the last couple of months I've had the complexion of a teenager. :roll Of course the doctor is off limits so I'm trying my best to cure it myself. At the moment I'm using an antibiotic ointment, using an anti-bacterial face wash and I'm testing out the theory that it's caused by a vitamin D deficiency - a lack of exposure to sunlight. Things seem to be a bit better this week, but time will tell.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did any of you experience depression while on Acutane? I remember that being one of the possible side effects. I also remember it saying it dries you out so much that nose bleeds are common.

I don't think what cured my acne would help yours... birth control : P
What would happen if a guy takes birth control?:um

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
weird things... You'd be putting estrogen and progesterone into your body... You might grow boobs :p

Personally I don't think you should even think about taking anything internally for acne unless it's a last resort or tests have shown an imbalance somewhere. What works for me when I have horrible outbreaks (happens when I switch birth control methods) is first wash with straight betadine. It won't stain or sting like iodine will and is the most effective antibacterial out there. If acne is really bad next wipe or wash with one of the over the counter acne meds. The one I use contains salicylic acid. Doing this step before other things helps prevent excessive drying of your face which will only encourage it to produce more oil making your acne worse. Next use an oil absorber of some type. This can be an oil reducing soap, makeup remover, or I use a tea tree oil based spray from lush.com. Use this many times a day to keep oil down without actually over drying the skin. Sometimes I apply a tea tree oil based antibacterial moisturizer I found on amazon.com but I don't see it again. Last before every shower I put on a face wash or mask with clay. Sometimes I use stuff from any drug or grocery store but my favorite is mask of magnaminty off lush.com. Put it on, hop in the shower, and so long as you wash your hair last it should have done it's work by then and you can rinse it off as you finish shampooing. Yea I know a facial mask sounds embarassing for guys but it's the most effective thing I've found and that's why I use it while taking a shower. No one ever has a chance to see me with anything on my face. This has proven to clear up even the worst outbreaks I've had without over drying my skin and I used to have really really bad acne. I wish someone had intervened when I was in junior high. Looking back at pics of myself it's no wonder people made fun of me and I have a strong desire to just burn all pics from that time. Luckily that was solved by birth control pills when I got to high school and since then I've learned how to deal with those times when it returns.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm using tea tree oil with cotton buds to wash the fine dirt off my face then afterwards i apply benzoyl peroxide. I've noticed slight differences but it is still early days.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
Did any of you experience depression while on Acutane? I remember that being one of the possible side effects. I also remember it saying it dries you out so much that nose bleeds are common.
When I took it I didn't experience any depression, but I did get very dry lips and hands. No nose bleeds though, I never even knew that was a side effect.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

I've never taken accutane but I remember watching an episode of Mark and Juliet(or something like that) a morning show on Fox, and I'm 99.9% sure that the thing they were talking about was accutane -they were talking about how one guy committed suicide, and there was one side-doctors, the family, who were totally against it and wanted it banned and the opposing side-doctors and a couple of happy go lucky teens who were like, "that's sad, but nothing like depression or whatver occurred w/us, and we think it should stay on the market because it helped us"

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
By the way, I recommend you go to drugstore.com and type in body wash, or body scrub, and see what products come up, and then you can see what other reviewers thougt-if it took care of their acne, or didn't do ****........

I don't know if this would work at all for back acne since it's made for the face but I saw great reviews on Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque which I just bought(it's less than $4.00))which has like a cult following (type it in on drugstore.com, associated content.com, google it and you'll see)because it dries up zits like that, draws out oil, and so on, and so on.....

Maybe you can buy it to spot treat your acne and see if it does anything

·
Registered
124 Posts
Accutane, fixed my skin forever, used to have bad face acne and have a flawless face now
I had moderate acne for years and after years of being given medication that did nothing to fix it, my derm recommended accutane. At first, I was like you and was very scared of the the huge list of side effects, blood tests, etc. My mom was also wary of me taking it. But my derm talked to me and said it was nothing to be afraid of really. He has been prescribing it for years to many patients that are otherwise unresponsive. So I went through with it and begain treatment; one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I haven't had acne anywhere on my body in about 4 years.

Cons related to Accutane I experienced:
-Really bad breakout occurred about a week or two into treatment. After that, I was ok.
-Chapped lips, dry skin (whoopty doo)

[two cents]

·
Registered
8 Posts

What would happen if a guy takes birth control?:um
HaHa, its so silly how they put that there, I also asked questions about it, to which to the dematologist just laughed and said its a load of crap and there is no proof that if affects depression. I felt no mental diffrence on the medication. If you, yourself are depressed go see a doctor for that.

206 Posts
Funny enough, I started getting acne about the same time that I developed SAD. But I don't think my acne.. well i know my acne isn't the reason I developed SAD, but it certainly hasn't helped the matter.

I've been struggling with acne since I was 11. I tried Accutane TWICE. Once at 16 and again at 20. I still get mild to moderate acne. It doesn't hinder me too much anymore. I think my biggest regret was picking my pimples as a young teen. I wish someone had told me about scarring! Now I don't even pop my pimples... ever.

Lately I've been using the regimen from acne.org. It works well at keeping my acne at a low level, but it's certainly not a cure. I would reccomend it. But if you don't want to order anything from online, I'd just use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and nothing more than a 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide. Try to find one with no dyes or fragrances. Also, Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) works well for back acne, but it's hard to find outside of the acne.org website.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Retin-A did wonders for me as a teen. Even though I still have acne, from my father's side (miss him!), it is not as bad as it was then. Summer means more sunshine, Vitamin D, and ultraviolet rays to kill bacteria and lift it from the skin. Tanning also helps.

I used antibacterial body wash with a "latherbuilder" (manly term for that poofy thing), and Clearasil daily face wash. It's like a total exfoliation deal :lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts