Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Acne from Pillow?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  hyacinthyaffe5 
#1 ·
For some reason, I always develop acne on my cheeks and jawline - generally on the side that I sleep on. I change my pillowcases regularly and I try to wash my face when I think of it, but the acne still comes. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Maybe you are allergic/sensitive to the detergent/fabric softener you use. Try to find one that is fragrance free or for sensitive skin and see if that changes anything.

Or it could be your hair. But I'm assuming since you are a dude you probably wash your hair very often. Also not sure if your hair even reaches your chin.

Also, are you touching your face in your sleep. Or other factors. Like my cat basically sleeps on my face every night lol.

#3 ·
Maybe you are allergic/sensitive to the detergent/fabric softener you use. Try to find one that is fragrance free or for sensitive skin and see if that changes anything.

Or it could be your hair. But I'm assuming since you are a dude you probably wash your hair very often. Also not sure if your hair even reaches your chin.

Also, are you touching your face in your sleep. Or other factors. Like my cat basically sleeps on my face every night lol.
Interesting. I wonder if it could be the detergent. I could also be rubbing my face in my sleep, although that seems a bit odd. I've never seen anyone casually rub their face as they slept :lol

I recently cut my hair, and I thought that would've alleviated a lot of the acne, and it did for like a week, but it came back for some reason...

I wish my cat slept on my face. What the hell, you're so lucky.

#4 ·
1. Def try different detergent and softener, or skip the softener. Try a non bio one def, and then one which cuts down harsh chemicals
2. Increase frequency of washing, or, better, wash a load of pillow cases, then try switching a new one every night

Interesting cutting hair worked, then stopped. Would try massively increasing hair washing, to rule that out (like twice a day). I think you should pick one thing, do it for 2 weeks (or 3, not sure how quickly acne responds) then you can rule it out. But you might as well make the change aggressively, so say, changing pillow case, make sure you do it every day. This is just to rule it out, so you know it's not that.

It may just be your skin, though. In which case, benzoyl peroxide, aha, and a good non oil based moisturiser.

Failing that, retinoids.

Honestly though, retinoids are worth doing anyway, because of their anti-ageing effect. I reckon just take this options straight away, because there's no reason not to :). (you can get one otc in the US I think).

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Just as an update:

I've been washing my face with just regular water a few times a day and making a conscious effort not to touch my face with my hands (that's probably the main culprit, TBH). I've been washing and changing my pillowcases every few days as well.

So far, I seem to have cleared up a bit, I'll see how my skin looks a week from now.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you think your pillow is giving you pimples, you should get rid of it and buy a new one. A pillow has a lot of bacteria that can cause pimples and facial rashes. I had a similar problem too, but it took me a long time to figure out where my pimples came from. But when I bought a new pillow, the pimples stopped appearing, and I got rid of the old ones with a led light therapy mask. I carefully watch my skin as my skin is very sensitive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.