Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a light to medium case of acne. I always have a couple of zits on my face, my back is pretty bad and my chest gets mild acne. I am extremely self-conscious about my acne and it saps all my confidence from me. I currently only use Clindoxyl at night to fight my acne and I wash my face 2-3 times a day. It hasen't helped a whole lot.

I'm wondering how acne affects the self-esteem and SA of others and what treatments you've found have helped you (if you've cured your acne problem). I'm even thinking of just taking accutane and removing the problem all together, though this drug is pretty harsh on the body and dangerous.

My acne has been an issue for me for the past 5 years! And i'm just fed up with it. I have girls come on to me the few times I've been clear skinned but it's far harder for me to catch the eyes of girls with white spots and blemishes on my face and body. :( I really need to cure it! It makes my SA problem that much harder to deal with.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Hi. I totally know how you feel about acne. I've suffered from it since I was 13. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I still have at least one active zit on my face on any given day. It really takes a toll on my confidence and self-esteem. It makes me feel so ugly and self conscious, like whenever I'm around people all I think is that they're noticing my acne and judging me on it. I'd say it's a major component of my SA.

As for Accutane, I tried it once a few years ago for a couple of weeks. Never again will I take that stuff. The side effects are hellish. For the first few weeks you take it, your acne get like 100X worse. I mean I had 5-6 new zits EVERY day, it was terrible. It also gave me really bad muscle cramps and terribly dry skin. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't try it. Everyone is different, perhaps the effects for you wouldn't be quite as bad.

What I've found to work is a topical treatment called DUAC. I don't know if it goes by any other names, but it's prescription only. It works pretty well for me, although my prescription ran out a few weeks ago and I have to make another appointment to get it refilled so I don't have any now. It sucks.

Also, apple cider vinegar has worked for me as well. You can use it either topically or as a supplement. Dilute the ACV 50/50 with water and apply it to your face after washing. Or you can take a tablespoon of it every day. Or both, whatever works for you.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts