Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anxiety causes us to be, what most "normal" people, would classify as "weird". People that have anxiety problems are usually made fun of due to their oddities or looked down upon because of their suspicious activities, as judged by the "normal" people. Me personally, everyone thinks I point out their flaws (something that is natural) by acting "weird" when all that weirdness is my anxiety kicking in; having a deep voice and anxiety problems isn't fun.

What do the "normal" people accuse you of as an anxious person, you think?

·
Registered
604 Posts
People don't suspect that I am socially awkward. They just think I am a straight up snob or think I am better than them but in fact I am scared of them lol.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I always look like I am angry or something because of my eyebrows and since I rarely smile around people I don't know well. People will think I'm pissed. People accuse me of being aloof and uninterested in them, my few friends are fine with this though and just understand that this is the way I am. People accuse me of being gay because I never have a girlfriend and never want to go out on dates or anything. (annoying but amusing at the same time)

I've gotten the impression that some people find me kind of suspicious too. Sometimes I also think people think I'm retarded or something lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
People don't suspect that I am socially awkward. They just think I am a straight up snob or think I am better than them but in fact I am scared of them lol.
I have to agree with this sentiment to some degree. People always think that Im acting better than they are. But they also think Im afraid of them. The difference for me is that Im black and if you know anything about african american culture, you know we are very sociable and talkative people. The fact that I don't socialize with people makes them think I'm acting snobbish. I used to try to communicate more but I felt like I wasn't being myself and I came off looking awkward and like a "follower" because I was so busy trying hard to fit in, rather than someone with his own voice. So as I started keeping to myself, I actually stood out more which was the opposite of what I wanted and people started questioning who I am and why I think Im better than them. It's been going on for years now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been told that I need to "let my hair down" and "relax a little." No one has ever outright accused me of being weird or mean. Looking back to the times I actually talk to the people who don't talk to me, I question whether they are the ones who feel rejected by me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts