Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like an idiotic question, but to all those outside of the United States, how do perceive the American accent? Naturally, being that I live in the states, I pay it no mind; however, I had some family visiting from Europe and hearing them speak was quite interesting and I like the accent. I was just wondering if they thought the same (about me).

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I was born in the States & moved to Canada recently. People always tell me I sound American. Supposibly my voice is "blunt" & "out there", could just be my voice in particular. Still not sure what this means. I do notice Canadian accents A LOT, haha.

I wonder the same though, especially what them proper speaking British people think of our accent.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly, I had an uncle, who was born in the U.S., but had lived in Germany for 20+ years, and he pointed out how Americans tend to insert "unnecessary" terms or words into their speech, such as overuse of the word "Like" and "Ummmm" or "Uhhhh" oppose to first thinking and actually articulating a response without those terms. Not sure if this is the correct word, but I believe it is refered to as Lethologica. Since he said this, I am always self-aware and try to avoid those pointless expressions.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'm going to offend many here, but the upwards pitch thing that some Americans do which makes every sentence you say sound like a rhetorical question DOES MY HEAD IN!!!! Whats worse is that its spreading over here. If you did it in front of me I'm not accountable for my actions ;] I don't really know why people do it as well as it makes you sound like a total air head.

Otherwise, I find different accents nice to listen to. The southern ******* accents always make me smile. Yeaaa booiii

·
SAS Member
843 Posts
I don't think anything when I hear Americans talk on TV. Sure, it sounds different to me because I am used to british english since this is what I learned in school. But that's it. Can't say anything about Canadians or Australians. Never heard them talking before. At least I can't remember.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
I'm going to offend many here, but the upwards pitch thing that some Americans do which makes every sentence you say sound like a rhetorical question DOES MY HEAD IN!!!! Whats worse is that its spreading over here. If you did it in front of me I'm not accountable for my actions ;] I don't really know why people do it as well as it makes you sound like a total air head.

Otherwise, I find different accents nice to listen to. The southern ******* accents always make me smile. Yeaaa booiii
I think I remmeber you posting that either here or SAUK, do you have a video link or somehting? I swear I've never heard what your'e talking about so I'm curious :lol

LOL so many accent threads right now
I think there are a lot of American accents so hard to pinpoint what "american accent" is. Favourite is prolly the NYC area accent.

"Um" isn't restricted to the US, I've (canadian) spent years trying to get "Like" out of my vocab :lol and I say "um" all the time. I go "um...so yeah." :lol And people say "Erm" here so it's not like Americans are the only ones who have to make a funny noise while they're thinking. Just a natural thing :lol

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I think I remmeber you posting that either here or SAUK, do you have a video link or somehting? I swear I've never heard what your'e talking about so I'm curious :lol

LOL so many accent threads right now
I think there are a lot of American accents so hard to pinpoint what "american accent" is. Favourite is prolly the NYC area accent.

"Um" isn't restricted to the US, I've (canadian) spent years trying to get "Like" out of my vocab :lol and I say "um" all the time. I go "um...so yeah." :lol And people say "Erm" here so it's not like Americans are the only ones who have to make a funny noise while they're thinking. Just a natural thing :lol
Awww I wish I could show an example. I remember Brian and Stewie on family guy talking about this about Gillian (or however you spell her name) so obviously it pisses of some Americans as well.

Like in their example Brian says "I don't know what I was thinking." But he makes the mistake of doing what I was saying so he says it like "I don't know what I was thin-king" and when he says the 'king' part the pitch bends up to make it sound like a rhetorical question; 'I don't know what I was thin-king?"

·
housecat
83 Posts
I'm curious, what do you mean by an upwards pitch? Can you give an example? I have a General American English accent which is the one most often heard on TV and movies from the U.S. It seems to be more common on the west coast and to a lesser extent with middle/upper class urbanites all over the U.S.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have a very southern accent, and when I went to Australia last year, they kept asking me to repeat myself just to hear me speak with my accent again. It was funny because I would do the same to them :). They said they're used to American accents due to television and most all sound the same, but the southern accent is a little different. One guy told me I reminded him of the movie "Waterboy" :(. So not true! I do not have the cajun accent (no offense to cajun's). But, I guess most people probably can't tell the difference in all the different southern accents.

Speaking of adding extra words in sentences. For example, I say "might could" a lot. My New York friend calls me out on this all the time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As a Canadian, and living near Niagara Falls (Canada-side) we get all sorts of crazy tourists. Even though I only went out at night around there, you could still pick up on all of the different accents people have.

There are specific areas of the U.S. that have their own accent, as many provinces here in Canada have the same thing. I believe that other countries and cities would have this same kind of accent-difference within itself.

I like listening to other peoples accents, as it gives people character and has me thinking about how we would all be looked at if we had a different accent.

·
banana enthusiast
7,079 Posts
I used to live in the UK, and the first time I noticed an American accent was while watching a Garfield cartoon. I remember thinking how awful it sounded. That wasn't the first time I heard the accent though, just the first time I noticed. I had heard the accent in Flintstones cartoons and stuff but I guess I just accepted it as the way some people talk; it didn't register as a different accent. After moving to Canada I got used to it, although I never really liked it.

·
Backstreet's Back ALRIGHT
1,006 Posts
Awww I wish I could show an example. I remember Brian and Stewie on family guy talking about this about Gillian (or however you spell her name) so obviously it pisses of some Americans as well.

Like in their example Brian says "I don't know what I was thinking." But he makes the mistake of doing what I was saying so he says it like "I don't know what I was thin-king" and when he says the 'king' part the pitch bends up to make it sound like a rhetorical question; 'I don't know what I was thin-king?"
I know what you're talking about hahaha. I think a lot of people do that pitch change/voice rising when they're angry or surprised about something.. I do that sometimes but not all the time xD:clap

----
I've noticed a lot of people outside the US tend to think us Americans all talk with super thick southern accents (thicker than kellie picklers LOL) or like we're all from New York...hehehe. I'm from New Hampshire so I have what most people would consider the "standard" American accent. I've always gotten the vibe that most people don't like our accents though. ^_^

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a very generalised perception of american accents. For instance, I think of north east US accents as being like the NY accent; kind of nasal and harsh. Obviously I just think of southerners as sounding like something from Huck Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird. Texans I think of King of the Hill. And to me, Californian just sounds like a general american accent; probably because that's where a lot of the american media we get over here originates.

But in Britain, there's a high concentration of different accents. Travel 25 miles towards Liverpool from Manchester and you get a totally different accent for instance. An hour west from me and you get strong Welsh accents. If a similar concentration exists in America, then there must be thousands of very different accents.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Every English person that I've talked to said they liked my voice and I thought it was really weird. I hate my voice.

I don't really pay much attention to accents. People just talk the way they talk. I dunno.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts