Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I am new to this and have never had therapy or anything for this. I 'm pretty sure I have a SA disorder by taking a few online tests. I've been really avoidant of social situations my whole life starting in childhood. For example, working in a typical office setting, I just hate getting in situations where people want to have a conversation. I guess I feel people are judging me all the time. I think I hide the problem pretty well, but am just tired of not being comfortable. Is this feeling typical? I would appreciate any advice as far as what types of therapy I should take etc... or comments of people who can relate or advice on how to deal with SA.
Have a good weekend everyone.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
ask at a library for books about overcoming shyness or social anxiety

re therapists they are usually expensive and some just sit there and say almost nothing and give no useful advice

·
Banned
139 Posts
Hi everyone.
I am new to this and have never had therapy or anything for this. I 'm pretty sure I have a SA disorder by taking a few online tests. I've been really avoidant of social situations my whole life starting in childhood. For example, working in a typical office setting, I just hate getting in situations where people want to have a conversation. I guess I feel people are judging me all the time. I think I hide the problem pretty well, but am just tired of not being comfortable. Is this feeling typical? I would appreciate any advice as far as what types of therapy I should take etc... or comments of people who can relate or advice on how to deal with SA.
Have a good weekend everyone.
Hi,

I think it's difficult to analyze your anxiety problem with so little information. You should probably talk to a professional because they have the expertise.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ( CBT ) seems to be the therapy of choice for treating SA.

Arizona State University is located in Tempe so you might be able to seek therapy there at a reduced cost. Postgraduate students are sometimes required to administer therapy on a one-to-one basis, or in a group setting.

I participated in a SA group therapy program ( something like 12 evening sessions meeting once a week for three hours ) in a university setting. There were only six people in our group, and it was facilitated by three medical students. They were all seeking a pyschiatry degree.

I must confess it was of no value to me. And it was probably detrimental to my mental health. I wanted to drop out after the third group therapy session. I was just too nervous to be in the group. One of the leaders talked me into staying. I should not have followed the advice because it was a big mistake.

At least for me, group therapy was a disaster. I would kind of advise people to seek therapy in a one-to-one type of setting. You're just not distracted by other things.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts