Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had SSRI's and betablockers.. now I am only using the last one because with SSRI I didn't see much relief and I don't want to live my life on drugs. Even how bad it would be, I'm surviving without drugs. The truth is, that the antidepressants etc.. they just change the real you and they do not take away the cause of anxiety, only the physical symptoms if even that.

I'm trying to find help from natural remedies.. I'm using E-EPA fish capsules and ST.John's wort which I recommend you to try. It's like if the anxiety is a pile of papers.. those take away the few papers on top, and even that little help is to make a little better life..

With St. John's Wort it is recommended to use it for about 5 weeks to see some results. I have used about 4 weeks now, and have a little relief(like saying with the paper pile) - I'm not as restless/nervous as before. I'm looking forward to using it longer time and see if anything else changes.

Chamomile tea is great, also lemon melissa. They are quite calming and it's nice to have a cuppa before you go to sleep for example.

I found a seemingly good site about self therapy, which I unfortunately lost, but I'm going to dig it up and post here as well.

:) Jannie

·
Banned
232 Posts
some SA sufferers are too proud to take the meds they need and so suffer needlessly
you may need to try several antidepressants
SSRI means prozac type and shouldnt be used to mean all types of antidepressants

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have had SSRI's and betablockers.. now I am only using the last one because with SSRI I didn't see much relief and I don't want to live my life on drugs. Even how bad it would be, I'm surviving without drugs. The truth is, that the antidepressants etc.. they just change the real you and they do not take away the cause of anxiety, only the physical symptoms if even that.

I'm trying to find help from natural remedies.. I'm using E-EPA fish capsules and ST.John's wort which I recommend you to try. It's like if the anxiety is a pile of papers.. those take away the few papers on top, and even that little help is to make a little better life..

With St. John's Wort it is recommended to use it for about 5 weeks to see some results. I have used about 4 weeks now, and have a little relief(like saying with the paper pile) - I'm not as restless/nervous as before. I'm looking forward to using it longer time and see if anything else changes.

Chamomile tea is great, also lemon melissa. They are quite calming and it's nice to have a cuppa before you go to sleep for example.

I found a seemingly good site about self therapy, which I unfortunately lost, but I'm going to dig it up and post here as well.

:) Jannie
Funny, I'm also trying natural remedies. Couple grams of cocaine per day, augmented by caffeine (5 pepsis a day), and Ephedra.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some SA sufferers are too proud to take the meds they need and so suffer needlessly
you may need to try several antidepressants
SSRI means prozac type and shouldnt be used to mean all types of antidepressants
Well, I can tell you that I'm not 'too proud' to take medication, there is another reason to it which I though is obvious from my post; I don't think antidepressants do good to yourself, there are researches & I've heard from people. But, if for some people the medication is the answer, it is fine. I'm just saying that people shouldn't forget what nature can give... :) and it would be good to try those first before antidepressants.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny, I'm also trying natural remedies. Couple grams of cocaine per day, augmented by caffeine (5 pepsis a day), and Ephedra.

I'll let you know how it turns out!
Sorry, but I was joking about natural remedies.. I think it is quite pathetic for you to say such.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry, but I was joking about natural remedies.. I think it is quite pathetic for you to say such.
"Sorry but I was joking..."
Do you mean you weren't joking?

And no it's not quite pathetic for me to say such. Herbal supplements to me are garbage. If they work for you, that's great! But to me when I hear people say "Oh, it's natural, so it must be better" is kind of absurd, which is why I responded the way I did. Cocaine is natural, caffeine is natural, and ephedra is natural; there's nothing special about "natural" cures.

That being said, I've tried St. John's Wort, and it was a joke. So I guess be aware, that there are people out there that don't take these medications seriously and for good reason...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I meant that I wasn't joking... I can't help my spelling mistakes.

The point in my message was that some people can get relief from natural things, and I just told my experiments - isn't that what this forum is made for? To speak about yourself, and giving advices and help to others as well the same time? I didn't say ''they WILL GIVE you relief'' did I? I'm not advertising anything.. You really do not need to go mental at me for saying so. I do not mean to be mean with my comments.

I'm sorry that you haven't found any help from them.. but I think it is silly for you to say about cocaine and ephedra - - do you really think that those would be better than trying passionflower for example? No thanks, I'm not into illegal and harmful stuff and I don't think that many here in the forum are.

I have tried many things like you - you're not only one - and many of them didn't work - wasted money on them, as I have wasted money on prescribed medication as well. Maybe you haven't tried all yet.. like I've spend my time trying on different.. and then found EPA & ST John's Wort.

Caffeine is bad for anxiety too by the way..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Haha....okkkkkkk. I'm just saying that natural is not always better.

And my bad, I thought it was funny what I said. You're right, this forum is exactly what you have said it's for. But saying I'm going mental, when you're the one who said I'm pathetic. Please, let's stick to the medications....

"but I think it is silly for you to say about cocaine and ephedra - - do you really think that those would be better than trying passionflower for example? No thanks, I'm not into illegal and harmful stuff and I don't think that many here in the forum are."

No, my point was that natural does not mean not harmless or better. Cocaine and ephedra and caffeine are all natural substances just like passionflower. And I think the distinction that there is something better about passionflower than say an SSRI or rationally-designed drug is not based in fact.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it seemed like you're going like that.. sorry about that then!

What is the fact then? Even though if a medication takes away the anxiety.. it necessarily doesn't take away the reason for the anxiety, right? And if you still have the reason for the anxiety somewhere in deep hiding.. can you be fully happy? Maybe the medications really work because you think it works.. doesn't matter if natural or not.. but which is better, natural or made medication? I guess you only find out by trying out. It's good some people find relief from natural remedies(and no, I wasn't thinking 'drugs'). And it's good that some people find relief in medication such as SSRI. But, you might get the same relief than with SSRI from using for example the fish oil & carnosin. It's good to add vitamins/herbs to your diet. But is it good/healthy to add medications? What did people do when they didn't have antidepressants? I am guessing using things out of nature? Or fighting it with their bodies. It would be better to deal with the problem(such as going to therapies, find more loving and caring friends etc.) and not fix it with medication. Anyways, interesting to share thoughts with you. I'm off to bed, byes.

I understand your point though - that natural necessarily mean not harmless or better. But nor does medication.

·
Registered
416 Posts
both of you have valid points.

but natural remedies should not be overlooked. some of it may work.
the analogy of a pile papers with a few removed is a good one.

In fact I am going to try chamomile tea. I always wanted to try it . now I will.

I havent heard of lemon melissa. I will google that.

·
Registered
440 Posts

In fact I am going to try chamomile tea. I always wanted to try it . now I will.

Yeah. True that, I shouldn't hate on natural remedies, but in my mind when people see natural=more pure/better, I see less potent. Whereas prescription drugs are designed to pinpoint exactly where it is the problem is.

Both natural and unnatural medications would still cover up the anxiety, and some of us are just built with an anxious mind (e.g. NYTimes magazine this week), that has to be covered up as there is no precipitating exogenous cause.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About it

A little correction, the herb is called 'Lemon balm' (Melissa officinalis). It is considered a calming herb. I'll post here something about it... I hope not too much to read :D

-It was used in the Middle Ages to reduce stress and anxiety, promote sleep, improve appetite, and ease pain and discomfort associated with digestion (including flatulence and bloating as well as colic).Even before the Middle Ages, lemon balm was steeped in wine to lift the spirits, help heal wounds, and treat venomous insect bites and stings. Today, lemon balm is often combined with other calming, soothing herbs, such as valerian, chamomile, and hops, to enhance the overall relaxing effect.

-Several studies have found that lemon balm combined with other calming herbs (such as valerian, hops, chamomile) helps reduce anxiety and promote sleep.(I haven't tried combining with other herbs so I'll try it as well)

Possible Interactions:

* Sedatives, Thyroid medications -- Although not yet demonstrated in clinical studies, lemon balm may interfere with sedatives and thyroid medications. If you are taking sedatives (for sleep disorders or anxiety) or medications to regulate your thyroid, you should consult a health care provider before taking lemon balm.

Chamomile tea is really great! I know many people that do not like the taste of it though. I always use it with honey :)

Thanks for your comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts