Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
For those of you who think I should just be grateful, i guess you don't get it.
This enormously painful feeling of loneliness and awkwardness still follows me around. Believe me, I rather be alone period than surrounded by people and still feel alone.:blank
I don't know how much longer I can keep this up...
I understand why that would suck. Maybe you can work toward restructuring your life to be more true to yourself. If your job is your main source of stress, possibly looking for work where you deal with people less, or if socializing is your biggest stress, drop some of your friends.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe you do need to stay true to yourself, like the previous poster mentions. Tell me when you find out exactly how. The concept of 'self' is difficult to understand.

'Nd I can relate. It's hard to act out a role in society. But sometimes you have to please society. I try not to make a big deal out of it... which is pretty hard for the socially anxious... but it is possible.

My friend, maybe you and I are experiencing an identity crisis?

·
lord of mordor
104 Posts
So my main question is....how to cope with SA when everything around me seems so perfect and yet I still feel as pathetic as i felt 2 years ago?
How not to feel like an hypocrite?
I'm I lying to myself and everyone around me? Is that what everyone else does?
Btw, none of my new friends or those I got involved with since my meltdown have any idea bout my SA.
my two cents is that you're putting alot of pressure on yourself to make this work. wanting to better yourself doesn't make you a hypocrite, nor is your SA past something to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you're doing it right, although I hope you can share your problems with someone other than us. I think its a big help to share with someone you trust. If your serious with your BF that is who I suggest, do you already?

As far as being a hypocrite and "does everyone else pretend", I think to some extent they do. I've had plenty of non SA friends who I think drown out their inner thoughts. I swear some people go around with their little voice screaming LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA. Never analyze anything, and they get by like that. Part of me wishes I could do that but at the same time being a deep thinker is something I'm proud to be. I just try to avoid the bad thoughts, tell myself to STFU when I beat myself up, its not helpful.

Really that is why people turn to drugs. The drug use isn't their problem, the problem is in their thoughts and drugs allow them to avoid those thoughts. Don't do that though, its a horrible "solution", I know.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe you do need to stay true to yourself, like the previous poster mentions. Tell me when you find out exactly how. The concept of 'self' is difficult to understand.

'Nd I can relate. It's hard to act out a role in society. But sometimes you have to please society. I try not to make a big deal out of it... which is pretty hard for the socially anxious... but it is possible.

My friend, maybe you and I are experiencing an identity crisis?
Yeah...i guess it's more an identity crisis than an SA one.
Thank you all so much. I will work on figuring out who I am. Even if there's nothing easy about that:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.