Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think their have been several topics on the issues of weight gain or hyperglycemia already but I dont want to beat the topic to death. So I asked my doctor if abilify is weight neutral and said yes but when I read the prescription infromation from my pharmacist their is a warning label saying abilify may cause diabetes. Is the weight gain only in a certain percentage of patients.?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Of course not everybody gets weight gain and diabetes from it. Why do you want to take it? Not just SA I hope.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I take the antipsychotic for olfactory, auditory, and tactile hallucinations. My doc said that Abilify has antidepressant properties and should strengthen the treatment with a snri or ssri. I gained significant weight with antidepressants and antipsychotics but I have no other options. Ive tried wellbutrin , prestiq, geodon. and cymbalta all didnt help. My diagnosis is MDD so when I tried zoloft I got some relief but the med gave out after quitting cold turkey. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You could try Amisulpride in combination with an SSRI/SNRI. I think it's weight neutral, but I'm not sure. Here you see the side effects of Abilify: http://www.rxlist.com/abilify-drug.htm (page 3)

·
Registered
336 Posts
ive taken abilify and it wasnt weight loss. I didnt gain any weight, but if I upped the dose then I woulda gained a few pounds. Makes me like food more. which isnt a really bad thing. It helped with sa too.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I'm not sure, sorry should have thought about that first.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could try an SSRI/SNRI.
Ive already tried zoloft and gained a lot of weight about 110 ibs in two years any other drug for depression? Ive already tried paxil, wellbutrin, cymbalta, and prestiq none have helped.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
How about a MAOI, afraid?

·
Ready to be normal again!
3 Posts
Medline-DOES ABILIFY AND LITHIUM HELP WITH SA? I HAVE SA AND BIPOLAR DISORDER AND THESE ARE THE 2 MEDS I WAS PUT ON..I THOUGHT I NEEDED AN SSRI-SSNI TO HELP WITH THE SOCIAL ANXIETY-AM I RIGHT? I DONT KNOW WHAT MY DR'S DOING HERE...

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts

·
I am a wildcat
2,266 Posts
Aagh! Abilify screwed me up so bad that just seeing the name makes me shudder.

I got the "restlessness" side effect, aka "feeling like there are spiders in your head and being unable to stand up or sit down or do anything for more than a couple of seconds". It was so awful I considered hanging myself to avoid another day of it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think their have been several topics on the issues of weight gain or hyperglycemia already but I dont want to beat the topic to death. So I asked my doctor if abilify is weight neutral and said yes but when I read the prescription infromation from my pharmacist their is a warning label saying abilify may cause diabetes. Is the weight gain only in a certain percentage of patients.?
Parnate could be a good choice for you(MAOI) no weight gain

·
has foot in mouth disease
410 Posts
On abilify I gained 15 pounds in a month. It happened so fast, it was too late before I even noticed. My doc said it was weight neutral too. After the fact, I found all of this anecdotal evidence online that it causes gain and she was so blase about it, "oh yeah, I heard it does." Ya think?! A warning would have been nice. This is OP's warning.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My first use of Abilify was the first time i took meds after a break of a year that seemed like hell,i could function without meds,my doc gave my abilify,was sick for 3 days,that was the end of abilify,never got sick form meds,besides the paxil could turkey with drawl.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I take actually amulsipride, name Solian with Lexapro. It is avalaible in France where i'm living and work pretty well for anxiety but in combo with ssri or another ad. If you realy need some of them i can send you a pack.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
No,i wanted it too but it isn't available where i live either,i now take sulpride,which is almost the same as amsulpride,read the wiki.
In theory they are similar drugs but amisulpiride is far better than sulpiride, I've taken both of them.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
i was on 10mg and gained a lot of weight mainly because i was eating a lot. as long as you control your diet you should be fine!
im losing the weight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts