Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started taking Abilify recently to help with my social anxiety and paranoia. I was on 5 mg for 1 week then 4 days I increased to 10 mg. Since I increased to 10 I have started feeling very anxious and agitated and also feeling tired nearly all the time and waking up early. I hope these symptoms pass soon. On the positive the drug is making me care less about things so I'm less paranoid. I'm seeing my psychiatrist again in 3 weeks time.

Has anyone else tried Abilify? What were the benefits and side effects that you got?

Also has anyone tried Nardil? I read it is good for anxiety. And can these 2 drugs be taken together? Thanks

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
I was on abilify 5mg, it worked great for me but was too expensive. I never went up to 10 though, some people notice it is more activating at lower doses others at higher, it's a weird drug.

Nardil is supposed to be good for anxiety but as far as taking both it's best to go with your doctor on that one as abilify does bind to the serotonin transporter at higher doses.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was on 20mg daily for some time, probably about a year and a half. It helped level me out a bit.

The only side effect was sticker shock from the price tag.

·
Banned
424 Posts
Why do you go off drugs that work for you because of the price? There's a wide range of online pharmacies that have generic products from other countries at a fraction of the price. Indian Abilify is only 0,26$ per dose.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Since I increased to 10 I have started feeling very anxious and agitated and also feeling tired nearly all the time and waking up early. I hope these symptoms pass soon.
Increasing to 10 mg after just a week seems quite quick.
I was on 5 mg for 3 weeks this summer and felt absolutely horrible from it; getting more restless physically and mentally, unable to stay still, getting agitated and upset much more easily and being unable to function normally.
Abilify has a half-life in the body of something like 90 hours.
That means that you build it up over time, up to ~4x the dose you're taking, but it takes time to reach that level and before you can really tell how it affects you.
Can hope the side effects become less, but from my personal experience, I wouldn't count on it. You might want to try to reschedule the appointment with your doctor if they continue to affect you like that.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Started taking Abilify recently to help with my social anxiety and paranoia. I was on 5 mg for 1 week then 4 days I increased to 10 mg. Since I increased to 10 I have started feeling very anxious and agitated and also feeling tired nearly all the time and waking up early. I hope these symptoms pass soon. On the positive the drug is making me care less about things so I'm less paranoid. I'm seeing my psychiatrist again in 3 weeks time.

Has anyone else tried Abilify? What were the benefits and side effects that you got?

Also has anyone tried Nardil? I read it is good for anxiety. And can these 2 drugs be taken together? Thanks
are you taking abilify alone? I might take it as an add on to cipralex and in place of deniban which doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm just on Abilify 10 mg. I'm going to go down to 5 mg tonight. The stress of the higher dose is too much to take anymore. It's actually making me more anxious in social situations. I'm thinking now that I should have taken an anti-anxiety medication instead like Nardil. Anyone tried that before?

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
I qualified for prescription assistance. So, I receive a 3 month supply for free.I just added it to my regimine. I am at 2.5mg on like day 3. It has not made me tired. If anything it makes me more alert at least at this dose

·
has foot in mouth disease
410 Posts
Abilify didn't do much for me, except cause me to gain 20 pounds in about 2 months. Fun.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Abilify was an interesting medication. Wished i tried it longer.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I tried it for three months in 2004. What it gave me was 30# of weight gain in those 3 months. I'd been losing weight rather rapidly before taking Abilfy and my weight plateaued upon stopping, so it seems very clear Ability was the culprit. Though this was back in ye olden days when the FDA allowed Abilify to lie about being weight neutral when it's since proven to be quite a weight gainer.

Also seemed to cause suicidal ideation. No positive effects whatsoever for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts