Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought this might be a nice writing exercise for anyone who's interested in writing poetry or prose.

Part of writing is just observing, something that people with SA are often too good at. So I thought why not put that to good use! A few months ago I did this writing workshop and the workshop leader told us about this technique they have for generating ideas where they go out and sit somewhere for about half an hour and just describe everything around them. She'll write uninterrupted for that whole time. We tried it and I found it really good for stimulating ideas and encouraging you to think of things in a creative way.

So the idea of this thread is just that: pick one object, or thing, or even characteristic about the place you're in currently, and just try and describe it in as much detail as you can, for a few minutes. I just think it's interesting seeing what people come up with :)

I'll start:

There's a leafy green plant sitting on top of the CD rack opposite. The CD rack is made of smooth blonde wood, in a series of segmented boxes, each box striped with the spines of CD cases, dimly growing dust. The leaves on the plant are oblong and slightly jagged and purplish in the corners. The leafskin is cloudy and matte, with a line down the centre like a human spine. The plant is in a shiny plastic pot, which is set inside a cut glass bowl. Imagine if I broke it. Imagine if it fell. The bowl is cloudy and dry at the bottom. The plan is still. Outside the trees are still. Everything is still.

It's not great or anything, but it's a start.

Anyone want to try?

·
자신을 사랑 해
1,420 Posts
Yes. As soon as I find myself in a place that is not my bedroom.

Good idea, by the way. I always really enjoyed free writing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts