Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is me jumping in the deep end of the pool - head first. I've never been in a forum like this before and it's a little daunting, putting my illness right out there for everyone to see. It's taken many years to reach the point where I understand - in my head at least (if not in my heart) - that mental illness is illness: not something to be ashamed of.

So here I am. I don't know what the protocol is here other than to say hi to whoever is reading this. I'm here for a reason. Even among people who I can probably rely upon to understand I'm filled with anxiety about anyone actually responding to what I write here. A response means (at least in MY mind) that I have to respond - you know, try to carry on a conversation. Nothing fills me with dread more than the pressure of having to keep up a conversation. Under pressure I can never think of anything to say that doesn't sound (to me) completely self-absorbed and/or phony. I'm so busy thinking about what you might think of me that I can't seem to find a spare thought for you. I'd love to feel relaxed enough to think about the people around me - that can be one of my goals here.

My name is Todd by the way. All that's in my profile. There were lots of personal questions about dating status, body type, etc. there and I'm not sure exactly what that's all about - are we trolling for pickups here? :no I'm going to try to not fall into that trap right now ('cause that's one of the safety zones I retreat to over and over again - an easy place to lose my own identity and no favor to me or to my partners).

I don't know what more to write just now. I'm just going to read what others have to say here and see what happens next. Thanks to whoever set this up. And I'm off... :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Todd, welcome to SAS...

Don't worry about responding to my post, this thread is for introducing yourself and you've done that, so it's all cool.

Now feel free to just post in whichever threads you feel like posting in...or don't, there's no pressure, you can always just read and absorb like lots of other members do :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I didn't expect so many welcomes so soon. What a friendly bunch you are :thanks I've already found a local support group by joining this forum. Who knew they were just down the road from me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, for tonight at least answering hasn't turned out to be as scary as I thought it would be. Thank goodness for a break in the crippling shyness that let me come out and play nice with others tonight :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lol if you go to my profile and click on the tab that says "statistics" and click where it says "all threads started by Desperate" and find Motivation.. I don't know why it wasn't so popular though.. Do people not love one thing about themselves??(you'll know what I mean once you read my thread)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Todd, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lol if you go to my profile and click on the tab that says "statistics" and click where it says "all threads started by Desperate" and find Motivation.. I don't know why it wasn't so popular though.. Do people not love one thing about themselves??(you'll know what I mean once you read my thread)
Hope you don't mind, Todd and Desperate, but I thought since I was at the Motivation thread, I'd cut and paste the link and chuck it in here for anyone else who wants to have a quick look at it.

Desperate's Motivation Thread

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts