Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I'm in my 50's now.....and taught mostly elementary school for 20 odd years. I guess I got used to the anxiety.......but I must've looked one stressed out piece of frazzle most of the time because I felt it.
Sadly or not I clean now...a cleaner at shopping centres...mostly in the morning out of sight of the public. It's such a liberating experience to be away from public scrutiny...I dont go home with a headache...I've actually got energy to do other things.....but the truth is I miss the money...and well the status..feeling important, special...and colleagues too. Still you can't have everything.....at least I feel sane now and relaxed...

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Interesting post! I almost became a teacher but I came to the conclusion I would be a frazzled mess, but still I feel regrets like, I wesnt to through all the work at university for what...
I'm pursuing truck driving

What made you take up cleaning?

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you ever tried to look for a job when your only experience is teaching and nothing else?? I was lucky to get any job Also of course cleaning is low profile....and that suits me at the moment..................

·
Silent
346 Posts
I'm only 17, but I'm going to be getting a major in education and will eventually get into teaching. After reading that you worked as a teacher for 20 years gives me hope I'll be able to do the same. ^^
Your currant job sounds like heaven to me... just think of it as a 'break'. You still get paid and you don't have to worry about all the people. Maybe you could become a substitute as a part time job as well?

·
Kafkaesque
172 Posts
20 years? It's astounding. I used to aspire to be a teacher when I was young, but I pretty much abandoned that dream in 7th grade after witnessing shy teachers getting harassed incessantly by barbaric students. It was downright traumatic to see so many good-hearted and sensitive people suffer that way. I always returned home feeling sick and guilty for years till I became inured to it. Now I'm fed up with mass education in general.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've always thought it was very interesting for people who struggle with SA but they dream to have a public career. That's very difficult, and a great obstacle to overcome. But I firmly believe it is possible. I've always wanted to play music somewhere, so I've got to work on facing my SA, too.

Good job on making so long as a teacher.

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
I have my teaching certification and hopefully start sub teaching at the end of this week, and maybe full time teaching at the end of the year.

But for me SA is not too much of a problem when teaching. It is like play acting, I get anxiety when I am around people, but as a teacher I don't feel like I am "myself" it is almost a part I play, once am in character for the kids I my SA almost goes away.

I never thought about this before this moment before but it works a lot better with the middle school kids than it does with the high school kids, maybe because the middle school kids are younger and they see much more as an "adult" not a real person.

I have tried to "play a character" in my real life, but it doesn't usually work because it is my real life.

But I love teaching, I really wish there were more (or any) teaching jobs in my city I would love to do it full time.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm only 17, but I'm going to be getting a major in education and will eventually get into teaching. After reading that you worked as a teacher for 20 years gives me hope I'll be able to do the same. ^^
Your currant job sounds like heaven to me... just think of it as a 'break'. You still get paid and you don't have to worry about all the people. Maybe you could become a substitute as a part time job as well?
I'm sure you'll do well.....for at least one reason...you are aware of your Social Anxiety at 17! My self-awareness came way too late. If I can give any advice to a young teacher its.....don't be too idealistic.... example...the education theories you learn at University won't magically work on all students....be flexible, practical and pragmatic...try a few different strategies...see what works....My first year as a classroom teacher was a disaster because I wanted the students to fit into my favourite theory of education!
Good luck
Humourless

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have my teaching certification and hopefully start sub teaching at the end of this week, and maybe full time teaching at the end of the year.

But for me SA is not too much of a problem when teaching. It is like play acting, I get anxiety when I am around people, but as a teacher I don't feel like I am "myself" it is almost a part I play, once am in character for the kids I my SA almost goes away.

I never thought about this before this moment before but it works a lot better with the middle school kids than it does with the high school kids, maybe because the middle school kids are younger and they see much more as an "adult" not a real person.

I have tried to "play a character" in my real life, but it doesn't usually work because it is my real life.

But I love teaching, I really wish there were more (or any) teaching jobs in my city I would love to do it full time.
It's a good approach and I'm glad it works for you My particular SA includes fear of the limelight and being the centre of attention. It doesn't sound like that's your problem.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've always thought it was very interesting for people who struggle with SA but they dream to have a public career. That's very difficult, and a great obstacle to overcome. But I firmly believe it is possible. I've always wanted to play music somewhere, so I've got to work on facing my SA, too.

Good job on making so long as a teacher.
Thanks for the nice compliment. Maybe some of my students had wished I'd quit earlier!

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20 years? It's astounding. I used to aspire to be a teacher when I was young, but I pretty much abandoned that dream in 7th grade after witnessing shy teachers getting harassed incessantly by barbaric students. It was downright traumatic to see so many good-hearted and sensitive people suffer that way. I always returned home feeling sick and guilty for years till I became inured to it. Now I'm fed up with mass education in general.
actually I was lucky to learn some survival strategies....I was never treated as badly as some young female teachers I saw once.......and I taught in good schools...I wouldn't have lasted that longif I was to be torn to shreds on a daily basis!
remember elementery school is easier than high school..behaviour management wise.....

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You are still learning and teaching right here on this forum and in "the real world."

We are all learners and teachers, even if we aren't teachers by profession.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts