Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally completed my job interview yesterday and was happy how I actually did it. I thought it went horrible for at least getting the job. Well, turns out my SA got the better of me because the very next day I awake to an email asking for yet another interview to discuss in greater detail about the positions available. Is it just me or is a second interview nothing but a waste of both of our times?! I mean is one interview not enough time to discuss everything? The funny part is he didn't seem interested in anything I had to say and the position seemed clearly not what I was looking for. Everytime I mentioned my specialties he ignored them or told me it was simply impossible for me to do what I said. For instance he asked how I was at virus removal on computers. I told him i'm 100% successful and he basically laughed a little and said "wow, you must be one of the rare ones" which I couldn't help but notice sounded sarcastic. But anyhow, i'm insanly frustrated to say the least. I don't know wether to call and say i'm no longer interested or go in for yet another interview. Damn I hate the job world! :mum

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your interviewer sounded very annoying I would go again though, at worst they will accept you and can turn them down later, or quit later on if you have to. I went through three interviews to get my technical support job I got this month. For better jobs (higher pay/responsibility) having more than one interview is probably normal. First interview is basic stuff to get an idea if you are at least somewhat capable of the position. Afterwards everyone who does well enough gets interviewed in more depth. It's just easier for employers this way, instead of going through a lengthy interview with everyone only the people who seem like likely fits will go through every step. There is no point for them to go through a complete interview process with someone who at the very start seems unqualified.
At the very least you will get a better idea if the job really is a bad fit, maybe learn a bit about how to handle yourself at an interview, and if they end up wanting to hire you even if you don't accept it would be a nice confidence boost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You should be happy for the chance for a second interview. I know what you mean, second interviews sometimes seem unnecessary. However, the second interview usually means you will be meeting with someone else; perhaps in a different department, or just another manager who could add some input into the decision on whether to ultimately hire you.

A couple months ago I was invited for a second interview for a job I really wanted- didnt get it though. I remember thinking I didnt do very well after my first interview, in my opinion I thought I wasnt enthusiastic enough about the position...and that I didnt describe my best qualities/abilities enough to merit stronger consideration. I guess it just shows that its easy to underestimate our interview performances.

And if you still have any interest whatsoever in that job...theres absolutely no reason NOT to accept their request for another interview. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts