Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to adopt a cat... so i can have some company when i am alone at home... i don't go out much... rarely... but my parents are refusing to let me adopt a cat because they think that the cat is going to be a lot of trouble and work ... what should i do???:|

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Given that it's their home, seems like they get to decide if there will be a cat in it or not. Try reasoning with them, explaining how you really want a furry friend because you need some company when you're alone at home. If that doesn't work, then you're pretty much out of luck till you get your own place where you make the rules.

I couldn't possibly have a cat as I'm severely allergic to them. They're cute, but making my eyes swell shut outweighs any cuteness factor.

For a few years I've thought about perhaps getting rats as pets, but fear that I'd end up allergic to them as well. Though domestic rats only live 2-3 years, so I guess that doesn't make for a long-term commitment if they don't work out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given that it's their home, seems like they get to decide if there will be a cat in it or not. Try reasoning with them, explaining how you really want a furry friend because you need some company when you're alone at home. If that doesn't work, then you're pretty much out of luck till you get your own place where you make the rules.

I couldn't possibly have a cat as I'm severely allergic to them. They're cute, but making my eyes swell shut outweighs any cuteness factor.

For a few years I've thought about perhaps getting rats as pets, but fear that I'd end up allergic to them as well. Though domestic rats only live 2-3 years, so I guess that doesn't make for a long-term commitment if they don't work out.
are u allergic to dogs too?

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Cats are way less work than dogs. Maybe tell them you will pay for the food and cat litter and stuff and it will be all your responsibility?

I hope it works out! Pets are wonderful companions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just come home with a kitten, hold it up to them, and say...I dare you to say no to this face.

Problem solved.
haha.... you are funny... watch my parent... they are going to grab the cat out of my hands and say "return it back to the shelter"... :um

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
are u allergic to dogs too?
Not sure. The only time I was ever tested for allergies (the back scratch test) was way back in 1984 and I know it came up as positive for allergic to dogs back then.

I haven't been around dogs enough in the last several years to know how I'd react to them now.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Just come home with a kitten, hold it up to them, and say...I dare you to say no to this face.

Problem solved.
If I owned a home and somebody tried that one after I already explicitly told them that there would be no cat in my house, they'd be sent back to the shelter with that cat and I'd be using every expletive under the sun to make my desire to not have a cat around crystal clear this time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cats are way less work than dogs. Maybe tell them you will pay for the food and cat litter and stuff and it will be all your responsibility?

cats are way less work than dogs, but a lot less friendly and more antisocial, you will become a much more friendly person and be a lot less lonely around a dog, compared to a cat. For example, cats feel more comfortable when you don't make eye contact, basically they are super anti social, not good for someone struggling with SAS.

Yes dogs are more work though, they come into this world with very little common sense, but almost like infants, can be trained extensively. This is because the dog's "thinking" portion of the brain is MUCH larger than a cats, but the cat fills that space with instinctual stuff. This is why cats are scared of cars naturally and dogs aren't.

EDIT: and to OP tell your parents that you are lonely and want a pet! That or force them to help you with your SAS.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Cats are very independent, just they eat a lot lol.
I fed my cat twice in the last couple of hours but because I felt bad cos he's old and getting skinny :(.
If you got an older one you wouldn't have to worry about cat litter as long as they're trained to go outside.
Aww I love cats.

theuprising said:
cats are way less work than dogs, but a lot less friendly and more antisocial, you will become a much more friendly person and be a lot less lonely around a dog, compared to a cat. For example, cats feel more comfortable when you don't make eye contact, basically they are super anti social, not good for someone struggling with SAS.
:eek!! That's not true! lol. You'll relate to the little guy because he has some social discomfort. Cat's are friendly!!! My cats hound me at night cos I'm the only one with insomnia and they get lonely when everyone's asleep, awww. And when you come home they hear the door and run to come see you. Let's not get in the dog/cat debate ;)

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
I had a cat when I was growing up and absolutly loved her. She was very independent and had a very interesting personality, and at the same time very friendly. She would be waiting by the door each day for one of us to come home.
She was very easy to take care of. Just put some food/water in her bowl and just do a quick litter box scoop(mine was an indoor only cat) and you're good.

But watch out!!! With cats you may find that they are in control of you. :)
What's the saying: "Dog's have owners. Cat's have staff"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts