Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

There is a guy i met over the internet and know him only through online conversations. He too has social anxiety but we haven’t explicitly talked about it much between the two of us.

The thing is is that he is the first person in a really long time that I have actually pursued a friendship with and maintained the energy in doing so for 6-7 months. The thing is though is that I usually start the conversations, and he doesn’t seem to be all that concerned with what I am doing in my life. What has been irritating me lately is that sometimes he will be showing as available on MSN messenger and I will message him and he just doesn’t respond and he just won’t respond. At later times, I’ll act like it never happened at least overtly to him and we will chat.

I wish that I understood why he does that at the very least and work from there. I also wish that he would just tell me if he doesn’t feel like talking, for example, or tell me he is busy or something. Sometimes, I feel like I am building a friendship in my mind only and though I am happy that I finally have pursued a friendship, I feel like maybe I should just let this one go. I also feel uncomfortable asking him to act in a certain way for me.. but i suppose i could just suggest it or atleast tell him how i feel...

What do you think I should do?

·
Banned
76 Posts
I suggest you tell him all you told us, tell him friendship is a 2 way thing and you expect more from him

ask if he is depressed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest you tell him all you told us, tell him friendship is a 2 way thing and you expect more from him

ask if he is depressed
I wrote him an email.. expressing my thought/feelings, some of which i mentioned here... basically it resonates as you mention... that friendship is a two way thing.. and that I expect more.. thank you.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
It sounds to me that he may be afraid of getting too close to you. Maybe he became involved with someone in the past and the relationship ended badly. He could be afraid of that happening again and is pushing you away because of it. Hopefully though you can talk with him about your frustrations and he'll realize how important the relationship is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds to me that he may be afraid of getting too close to you. Maybe he became involved with someone in the past and the relationship ended badly. He could be afraid of that happening again and is pushing you away because of it. Hopefully though you can talk with him about your frustrations and he'll realize how important the relationship is.
I think maybe that may be at least part of what is going on with him. I wrote him the email so we'll see how it goes.. hopefully he will want to engage in this relationship .... and if he doesnt at least i tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts