Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I stumbled across this forum yesterday after reading the term "Social Anxiety Disorder" on another website and doing some research.

Finally I can put a name to what's been plaguing me for years.

I guess I don't need to explain in detail the issues i've had since.. well, I guess since puberty hit (i'm 46 now) - feeling inadequate around others, avoiding situations where I have to speak to people I don't know, sitting by myself dying inside at social functions while others are having fun, drinking excessively at parties to try and hide how I feel, escaping from situations where I know i'll have to talk to someone new.. I guess most people here can relate. But until yesterday I just thought I was weird, shy, introverted. I never knew there were others around who feel the same way.

Now I feel like there's some hope for me. I know I have to do something about it, to release myself from the chains that have been holding me back forever. I talked to my wife about it last night - my wife who has been so supportive of me and my struggles to fit in. I'm going to take the first step and find someone who can help me overcome this. And it's nice to find a place where there's others who can relate to my feelings.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Bassman :wels

·
Registered
179 Posts
welcome to the sas forum ! i first saw sas on a televison program and i could not believe that somebody else was feeling the same way i was ..it was a great relief i agree with you adam

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had SA since I was a kid. I inadvertently discovered it was an actual disorder with a name while skimming through the DSM-IV at work when I was in my twenties. There was a certain amount of relief just to know that this is a real thing that other people have. Up until then I thought it was just my own personal hell. I just recently discovered this site though, and it's been really nice to be able to talk about some of my weirder behaviors and discover there are people who can relate wholeheartedly and understand completely. Welcome!

·
Improving
987 Posts
Welcome to SAS bassman.

You are definately not alone. You will find on this site that many people (far too many) suffer from the same problems as you. I know how it is to feel totally alone and then suddenly find that you are not the only one with such feelings. I hope you find some comfort here as I did. I think you will.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Bassman! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts