Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:afr:afr:afr

So on Tuesday I have to give an oral presentation in front of my class and a few professors... :um :afr :hide I haven't done a presentation in a pretty long time, and I can already see it being a disaster, lol. I'm so nervous right now. I don't really care about the mark I get, I just want this to go somewhat smoothly. So help me God...

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Presentations make me very anxious as well. Try to plan out and practice your presentation as best as you can. This will give you less to worry about. Practice should also give you more confidence. I always goof up and don't prepare ahead of time. Best of luck with your presentation :)

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I'm far more terrified of SEEMING uncomfortable whilst doing a presentation, than of the presentation itself. luckily for me, i can manage to control my nerves whilst in front of a crowd, so whilst doing the presentation i look like i don't have a care in the world. inside, however, i feel like i'm on the verge of having a heart attack, lol.

Fortunately, i didn't have too many presentations lately. So currently i'm fine.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the well wishes, I'll post an update on how this goes. Just 3 more days to go :(

luckily for me, i can manage to control my nerves whilst in front of a crowd, so whilst doing the presentation i look like i don't have a care in the world. inside, however, i feel like i'm on the verge of having a heart attack, lol.
I wish I could look calm too. When I'm talking in front of people, I think I exhibit every sign of anxiety there is - blushing, shaking, awkward body language... :eyes

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I find that it helps to remember that the other people watching want you to do well. I have to remind myself of this, because otherwise I think that they're thinking negative things about me, which makes me 10x worse.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a classmate/presentation partner have some very bad reservations about speaking to the class. She went to Toastmasters and it helped her out pretty well.

I suggest finding one in your area and getting some support for future presentations.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know how you feel and i have been there. i had to give a presentation for my economics class and lord was I scared, but you know as i watched other people do their presentations i saw that they were nervous too and that it wasnt that big a deal. once you get started talking its not so bad, just practice and you will be just fine. if i can do it anyone can!

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Write yourself a sort of script, or at least a very detailed outline. Then memorize it, but keep a copy with you while you present. This has helped me through a lot of presentations, where I tend to blank out.

Foreign language presentations are the worst for me, because I have to stay incredibly conscious not only of what I say, but how I say it (I have a Southern accent...). I have to have a complete script written out for French presentations, with words I know I'll stumble over written out phonetically (shay-dOOHvruh, etc.).

Oh, and meds help a lot. Particularly benzos or beta-blockers.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If all goes according to plan this should be my last presentation... ever :) I've considered meds but now it's too late for that, hehe. Bezoomny, I always found French words hard for pronunciation; I don't think I even said "bonjour" correctly.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, presentation done... and I survived :) It didn't go as well as I hoped it would, but it wasn't the worst case scenario either. I was very nervous and did just about half of my presentation (I left out a whole bunch of stuff I was planning to talk about). I was visibly nervous, but at least I didn't tremble and go too red, lol. I'm just happy that this is now over with :boogie Thanks for everyone's support again.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Congratulations!! :clap

Sounds like you did a great job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts