Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this great idea to pass time; learn a new language! I found this website where it helps you learn a new language and it has about 5 different languages you can learn. Heck if we have all this "free" time to waste, lets use it for something. I am going to try out German, hopefully in a year I will be able to speak it.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
I took German for a semester my Freshman year. Horrible, horrible. I don't know if it was the teacher, the stuff we learned, the order we learned it in, or my desire to relax during that class because it was right after gym, but I'm pretty sure I did absolutely dreadful in that class. Failed. 49 percent.

Anyways, what's the site?

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
livemocha.com

It has courses, then you can actually talk to people who speak the language you are trying to learn if you want. I recommend you get a mic, cause there are some parts where you can dictate a paragraph in the language you are trying to learn and then other people comment you and give you tips. Hey it might help some of us come out of our shells more and at the same time learn a new language. Nothing is forced though.

Edit: Also this website has visuals and audio and not just words and words. Oh and you can tutor people trying to learn your language too.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I was going to learn Polish. I've got a phrasebook but i've got no motivation. I can say a few basic words like Please, thankyou, yes, no, beer but that's it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I tried learning Japanese a couple of years ago. It isn't as hard as you might think, but unfortunately I lost the motivation and got bored with it, and have now forgotten the bits I had learned. I really would love to speak another language, but I just don't feel motivated enough to keep it up.

Good luck though Ununderstood, I hope you get on well with it :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for this, ununderstood - great idea! I'll try my hand at German too; I know a smattering but I'd like to improve.

Good luck!

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I tried this a few years ago. First I learnt some Japanese, then learnt some more French. It is enjoyable, but the difficulty I have is I can only manage it for a couple of hours in any given day, which is a shame because I then get absorbed in other tasks and eventually forget about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this idea a few years ago. I speak 9 languages now, but I'm still lonely as hell and I'm feeling like crap, so... can't recommend it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Livemocha is good, I started learning Italian on there a few months ago but then I decided to wait until I got a microphone to do it properly and never got round to buying one. Anotther thing to add to my to-do list.

Good luck with the German!

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's an excellent idea, and not just another language but enriching your knowledge in any way (ie learning to cook, paint etc...). I've been learning French for a few years now. I took 3 courses in my university (although they were quite basic) and then continued on my own on the internet. I actually really like grammar :) I got to a point where I can watch TV and read books in French, of which I'm very proud.
My next project is to learn how to play the guitar... there are soooo many songs I'd love to be able to play!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts