Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont attend church so maybe this plays into it...i feel like a fraud when i pray....like i only run to religion when im in terrible shape mentally....anyone else feel this way sometimes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
PM5,

I believe that when you call out to God he absolutely hears you. Maybe you don't attend church regularly, and don't pray everyday. But as were the ways of all believers at one time. I think that people have this false sense that the second that they become a christian that they are supposed to be this "perfect christian". But christianity is really about a relationship to God. It is a lifetime of getting to know who God is, learning to trust God, Learning to lean on him when times are rough, and learning to praise him when things are good. We all have a lifetime ahead of us to refine who we are. God does here you and what is in your heart is what makes you a fraud or not. I cannot judge someone's heart only God, however I would be willing to bet that there are plenty of people who just attend church for appearance, and only God knows their heart. Keep on praying when times are bad, and try to take the time to pray when they are good too, seeking to know God, and learning to trust him.

God Bless

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
I agree with bake56 too. There's also nothing wrong with calling out to God when life is hard. That's what He wants us to do, to lean on Him for strength and hope to get through the tough times.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
pm5kbebop said:
i dont attend church so maybe this plays into it...i feel like a fraud when i pray....like i only run to religion when im in terrible shape mentally....anyone else feel this way sometimes?
Teresa of Avila instructed to begin one's relationship in small steps, by talking to the Eternal You in small daily moments. I wake up and say, "hello". That's a prayer. I can add, or not. I go through my day, and I have a small moment of peace. I say "Thank You". That's another prayer. If I add to it, I add, or I don't. It has helped me. :stu (These mystics are so... mystical! :b)

A farmer went out to sow some seeds... he had to cast quite a few, as I understand it, because only some of them found good personal soil. It's been like that for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I echo what bake56 says. But first of all you have to understand what prayer means.

What most people mean when they say prayer is actually intercession - that is, you're praying for something that you want or need.

Of course, God never dumps you - but that doesn't mean you should take Him for granted. You still need to build a relationship with God in the same way you build a relationship with anyone else.

When your mate does you a favour, you should say thanks. You should do the same with God.

When you've done something to upset your mate, you should apologise. You should do the same with God (and bear in mind that God, while forever forgiving, can nevertheless be offended in many more ways than your mate).

When your mate walks into the room - you should acknowledge him by name, and be nice to him. Same with God.

If the only communication you had with your mate was to ask him for more and more favours, he'll probably get fed up with you eventually and dump you. Fortunately, God never dumps you, but you still need to build up the relationship with God in the same way - and this is what we mean by prayer.

Does that make sense?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts