Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I got my license a few days ago. I was scared to drive for a long time but the last few months I pulled through, didn't procrastinate, and now I have been rewarded.

Also, this week I had a very good friend over (my best friend actually). He was visiting from another state and stayed all week. He is very outgoing and is not afraid to look and act stupid in front of people. We went to two concerts (both all-day events) and I went pretty crazy at each of them. We went out a lot in general and I really wasn't all that anxious while he was here. Yesterday we drove around handing out flyers to people (promoting animal rights and veganism) and I was not anxious during this either. Later in the day we went to the mall for a while with one of his ex-girlfriends and ending up hanging out with three girls that she knew (we ran into them). I was not shy at all and was actually pretty hyper (mainly because my friend was there).

All in all I had a great week and I feel much more free now that I can drive (even if I'm still kinda scared too). I feel like it's time to start fighting my anxiety and getting out there. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
NewWorldOrdr,

Congratulations on receiving your license! That's wonderful that you wouldn't let SA stop you.

You know, it's amazing what friends can do for a person with SA. I bet you wondered "How in the world could I have just done this? Did I actually have a good time for once?" Well, you did have a good time and that is great, too!

The only problem is that your friend is from another state! It would be so much more cool if you had someone locally, too!

Way to go and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Way to go for not letting SA get in the way! :banana

·
Registered
247 Posts
awesome!
i also find it easier to go hyper when i got a good friend around, its like nothing can stop me.
same effect on everyone. we're all pretty much the same.
but if u start feeling like you are all cool and outgoing u will be able to act it without havin your friend there- try it.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
NewWorldOrder said:
First of all, I got my license a few days ago. ... We went out a lot in general and I really wasn't all that anxious while he was here....All in all I had a great week...
That's great!

·
Registered
537 Posts
NewWorldOrder said:
First of all, I got my license a few days ago. I was scared to drive for a long time but the last few months I pulled through, didn't procrastinate, and now I have been rewarded.
Congrats on getting your license! I know how hard it is to begin that process (it took me almost 3 years just to get my learner's), but the freedom and independence that a license gives you is immeasurable.

NewWorldOrder said:
Also, this week I had a very good friend over (my best friend actually). He was visiting from another state and stayed all week. He is very outgoing and is not afraid to look and act stupid in front of people. We went to two concerts (both all-day events) and I went pretty crazy at each of them. We went out a lot in general and I really wasn't all that anxious while he was here. Yesterday we drove around handing out flyers to people (promoting animal rights and veganism) and I was not anxious during this either. Later in the day we went to the mall for a while with one of his ex-girlfriends and ending up hanging out with three girls that she knew (we ran into them). I was not shy at all and was actually pretty hyper (mainly because my friend was there).

All in all I had a great week and I feel much more free now that I can drive (even if I'm still kinda scared too). I feel like it's time to start fighting my anxiety and getting out there. Thanks for reading.
It's cool that you didn't let SA get in the way of having fun and visiting with your best friend. As others mentioned, friends can boost your confidence and make you more comfortable in a social setting. The problem for many of us though is that making friends requires being in a social setting in the first place :lol .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts