Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I just resigned my position today, and am at the start of the two week lame duck period. I quit because I've accepted an opportunity provided by another company.

DrDoc said:
1) How did you find out about the position? Did you have to do cold calls at all in your job search?
Current: I sorta made it. I worked as a student worker for a while, they liked my work, and hired me to keep at it when i graduated.
Upcoming: One of my industry contacts apparently gave me a glowing reccomendation, so I was contacted directly.

DrDoc said:
2) How did you apply for the position?
Current: For the original student worker part of it, I visited the HR people and offered my services. I can't remember too well, that was 6 years ago. It evolved into my current job.
Upcoming: I didn't really apply, they asked me to come visit and they basically interviewed me right there.

DrDoc said:
3) What was the interview process like?
Current: I was interviewed by one of the academic department directors, it was pretty informal, but I was experiencing major anxiety. I did get the job though.
Upcoming: My first interview was with the president of the division. We chatted lots, I demonstrated my abilities, and he gave me a tour of the place. He suggested that I meet another person there to find the best fit. The second interview was the same as the first, minus the tour. He sent me to another company in the organization. That was a 2 on 1 interview, but was otherwise the same, minus both the tour and the ability demo (which I thought was weird). I had no anxiety for any of these interviews because I already had a job I liked and wasn't really that concerned if I didn't get the job :)

DrDoc said:
4) How many resumes/interviews did you have to go through before you finally found a job
Current: 1 interview, zero resumes.
Upcoming: 3 interviews (within the same organization), zero resumes.

I haven't needed resumes so far because my last two jobs have been obtained mostly through human networking--the content that would have normally been included on a resume was carried through this network.

-Ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I seen a help wanted sign on the window and I was lucky to met with the manager when I got an application, so I applied in person. I got an interview with him, which he asked me questions about my past job experiences and basically what I can bring to the table for the company. The interview process wasn't bad at all.What is interesting and something that I learn, is that I took the application home to fill it out and was kind of procastinating with it. The manager informed me that had I waited another day to hand in the application, the job would have already been taken because there was a really outgoing canidate who was just right on my heels in being close to getting the job . It taught me to push myself and every second counts to where I will never do that again. I think applying in person seems to work best. Good luck with your job search, don't give up!
8)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was unemployed for five months after I quit my last job. I went to the employment office almost every day but I applied only for those jobs that allowed me to fill out the application at the employment office and leave it there. Then I saw a posting for a job as a kitchen helper, but I was supposed to go there for an application. I almost didn't go because I was scared and I figured they wouldn't hire me anyway. I was desperate so I went there, met the dietary manager, filled out an application, and went home knowing she wouldn't call me. Nobody else had. But she did call and set up an interview. I was scared at the interview but I desperately needed a job, so I forced myself to sit up, keep an open posture, and maintain eye contact. I got the job and I've been there a year and a half. Maybe if I could convince myself that I just as desperately need a girlfriend and a social life I could overcome my fears of those too.

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
1) How did you find out about the position? Did you have to do cold calls at all in your job search?

I saw an ad in the paper, and a girl at 7-11 mentioned the position to me.

My dad printed off an application for me on the net, I went down there to turn it in, and was immediately scheduled for an interview.

The interview part was pretty short, and I just had some stuff to fill out. The orientation, however, took like 6 hours and sucked.

4) How many resumes/interviews did you have to go through before you finally found a job

Turned in one application somewhere, no response, and the second place was where I was hired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
-I looked through the newspapaer, careerbuilder.com, and washingtonpost.com. Did not do cold calls - the phone is one my SA fears!

I emailed/faxed all my resumes.

Three rounds of interviews - very frustrating

Out of dozens the resumes I sent, I got two interviews. Would have sent more resumes, but there just wasn't anything to apply to at the time! I found the job on washingtonpost.com. I was laid off during the telecom bust in 2001, so I was very lucky to get what I got. I started looking two months before I lost my job, and it took six more months to find my current job. Hang in there!!! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found my job through craigslist.com
Use a temp agency also. Sometimes, you don't even need to interview. They just tell you to show up at an office and you start working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nope, temp agency called me and asked if I wanted to try this temp-to-perm job that was available and they thought I would be good for.

Didn't have to at first. Only had to fill out an application when they went to officially hire me. Since I had already been working there for 3 months, they knew me and how I did the job, the fact that I barely had any work experience didn't matter.

There was none. :)

I don't know if I've ever been on an interview. The only job I had before I signed up with the temp agency was a seasonal job at the IRS. No interview process there, just have to take the civil service test and a typing test (since I was doing data entry).

The above answers are why I would recommend to anyone having trouble finding a job to try a good temp agency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts