Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering, If I was diagnosed with SA, would I HAVE to admit it on health questionnaires?
Lots of our privacy has been sold in the UK and I'm thinking maybe certain employers would request access to medical records, is this common?

I'd be lying if I said it didn't put me off seeking help, I wouldn't like to think it would affect my 'employability' in future. Government jobs for instance, if I was to go for a job in the police force in future surely having SA on my medical records would harm my chances?

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Well, you're probably right to be concerned. It will come down to us having no privacy left at all. The forces who want to destroy our right to privacy will never stop pushing until they have us all essentially living in a fishbowl.

If you want to be a cop, I don't think SA would necessarily stand in your way unless it's severe. They would almost certainly check to see what kinds of things you'd seen a therapist for. I really don't know if SA is the kind of thing that really sends up red flags when you're looking for this kind of work but I wouldn't doubt that it could be something that could cause concern.

After all, there's almost nothing worse than an unstable police officer. On the other hand, I've met a few cops who definitely had some issues so who knows.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Im wondering, If I was diagnosed with SA, would I HAVE to admit it on health questionnaires?
Lots of our privacy has been sold in the UK and I'm thinking maybe certain employers would request access to medical records, is this common?
I've never known any employer to ask for medical records, unless you were joining the police or army where health matters I can't see it ever coming up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
I may look at getting guidance from other sources where information won't end up in a big easy to search database. Its sad i know, and maybe just paranoia, but I dont trust that my medical records would remain private.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Are you in the UK?

Firstly government organisations are 2 tick employers with a disability policy and maybe the best people to apply to as you can disclose it. If you tick the disability box and have all the essential criteria for the job then a certain number of disabled applicants are guaranteed an interview. You can also get allowances at work or in interview. Health condition often comes under disability policy if it does have a significant impact on your day to day life.

From googling this is for the blind but the same policies apply (would maybe find a better website if looked for longer?) http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/publicwebsite/public_jsdisc.hcsp

From what I understand (NOT an expert) it would only come up in an occupational health questionnaire if the firm had one which could lead onto an interview. The question is whether it affects your ability to do that job or not.
You can choose not to disclose it but would not get any help with your condition and if it causes problems at work could be a reason for dismissal if you have not disclosed it.

I'm not convinced anyone would have access to this information. However, what about private treatment?

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
An employer wouldn't be concerned with social anxiety, unless it was a really discriminatory type of job. Most employers just want someone there who's dependable, doesn't have a criminal background, and is there to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts