Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience rapid weight gain on this medication? Also, any experience severe withdrawl symptoms when trying to whean off?

·
bipolar
17,195 Posts
I haven't used Paxil but I put on a fair bit of weight on Lexapro, plus I had pretty horrible withdrawal symptoms when I stopped it. I've read on other forums etc on the internet about all the weight gain caused by the different antidepressants - it seems to be pretty common, but then there are also some people that don't seem to put on any weight. The Lexapro made me feel very bloated and mainly put on weight around the tummy area. I was starving all the time and didn't even care ( at first ) that I was eating so much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly. I crave food even when I'm full. I'm always hungry. And sweets....OMG...I would snapped someone's neck for just one bite of sugar. I want off Paxil so bad, but I can't seem to get past the withdrawl. I get really bad vertigo and tend to snap at people. I'm pretty much a mess emotionally when I'm typically not that way. So frustrated about this.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Anyone else experience rapid weight gain on this medication? Also, any experience severe withdrawl symptoms when trying to whean off?
Lady *waves finger* :lol, I gained 40 pounds from Paxil....have lost maybe ten of those since reducing to 20mg.

With the holidays, I am down to 15mg and trying to exercise a bit more - it's just to maintain :fall.

Reactions: Rio

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
Abilify gives me serious munchies but I eat healthy food instead of bad and exercise. The abilify makes healthy food tastes so much better.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah I gained about 20lbs on Paxil and when I stopped it cold turkey (never again) was very very angry feeling for about 10 days. Very unpleasant, even having to open a door had me raging!

One of the interesting things I found with Paxil is it made me stronger in the gym - a lot stronger. I can only think that was because while on it my anxiety level went down and so did my cortisol levels, making my overall state more anabolic...

But I added about 20% to my personal best lifts in 8 weeks on Paxil

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
i took paxil for ten years and didn't gain a single pound. although it did give me major carb cravings, i ate away and still no weight gain.

withdrawal was brutal, but not the worst i've experienced by far.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Have taken it for 2 years and am down 10 lbs from what I'm usually at.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Exactly. I crave food even when I'm full. I'm always hungry. And sweets....OMG...I would snapped someone's neck for just one bite of sugar. I want off Paxil so bad, but I can't seem to get past the withdrawl. I get really bad vertigo and tend to snap at people. I'm pretty much a mess emotionally when I'm typically not that way. So frustrated about this.
You have to taper off the Paxil. When I was forty pounds heavier, I was on 50mg.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
From what I understand Paxil causes weight gain in quite a lot of people. I don't have any good advice as to how to come off it except maybe replace it with another antidepressant to help with withdrawals. Prozac is sometimes a good choice for tapering.

·
Registered
309 Posts
ive been on Paxil for 8-9 days an i can already tell i will start packing on some weight if i dont control myself.Paxil is bad for 2 reasons, it makes me quite lethargic even at only 20 mgs.i can literally lay in bed all day on this stuff, really disappointed in this aspect.i usually exercise every day but on Paxil its much harder to force myself.second, you do crave carbs on paxil and you can eat and eat and eat, its ridiculous.i think it is lessening my anxiety but the side effects(lethargy, sexual problems, weight gain) seem to outweigh the positive.

are you guys having success with paxil as far as anxiety goes?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Paxil is/was my personal best SSRI. The lying in bed/being tired is, as weird as it may sound, proof that it is working well. It's the quasi unavoidable result of a serotonin bombardment. (being tired and sexual dysfunction)

·
On the Road to Normal
219 Posts
I'm sorry that so many others have bad experiences on Paxil. I take the XR version, and I lost 45 lbs. the easiest I've ever lost weight in my life. It took away my cravings for junk food and made me want to eat healthy instead. I also started working out at a gym regularly. My SA and anxiety is 80% reduced. I know I'm not the norm, and thank god for that!

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
I'm sorry that so many others have bad experiences on Paxil. I take the XR version, and I lost 45 lbs. the easiest I've ever lost weight in my life. It took away my cravings for junk food and made me want to eat healthy instead. I also started working out at a gym regularly. My SA and anxiety is 80% reduced. I know I'm not the norm, and thank god for that!
i had a really positive reaction to paxil as well, as mentioned above, i didn't gain any weight nor suffer from any sexual dysfunction, and it, combined with valium, took care of my anxiety to a very manageable degree for more than 10 years before it lost efficacy. that was tragic.

paxil haters!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't hate paxil. I don't know anything about it, so I don't have an opinion. My input is anecdotal, but the few people I know that did take it had very bad reactions to it. Both of them had a breakdown. My sister disappeared for two days and ended up in a hospital for attepted suicide. The other girl I knew that took it also had a mental breakdown. Both of them gained weight.

I'm sure there are many factors to consider. My sister was also on Depakote at the time which may have been a factor. And the other girl I know who took it, she may have not had any business taking it in the first place. Sometimes doctors prescribe SSRI to people that actually don't need them.

I'm not trying to scare anymore. I imagine that Paxil can be very beneficial as I've heard that it is the no.1 SSRI for social anxiety. I've just heart a lot about it causing weight gain.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Is it worth taking paxil for depression?

Does it make a big difference?
YES!

Paxil doesn't work on depression all that much, but it definitely takes care of the anxiety that fuels the depression. Which would you rather have alleviated?

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
i had a really positive reaction to paxil as well, as mentioned above, i didn't gain any weight nor suffer from any sexual dysfunction, and it, combined with valium, took care of my anxiety to a very manageable degree for more than 10 years before it lost efficacy. that was tragic.

paxil haters!
That gives me about two years before I hit my ten-year. That could be a goal to taper off with proper CBT. I probably feel stronger now than ever in those eight years so this is a positive sign.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts