Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through interviews and I've had a phone interview for about 40 minutes and then an hour in person interview with three people. Now I'm being called back for a 2-hour interview with 3 groups, each lasting up to an hour. Is this overkill for a part time admin job?

Sorry this is off topic of SA. But I'm having major anxiety and wondering if it's worth it for a part time gig that I don't really "need." Just wanted a change and it sounded interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL. Thanks for your thoughts. I actually decided to cancel the interview today. Just decided if they're this anal up front, what on earth must it be like to work there.

As for the job, it was for a nonprofit doing admin support work for about 24 hours per week. Still in total shock at the level of interviews...you'd think they're offering stock options, full health, dental and vision, and a huge salary. Alas, none of that applies here.

Thanks again. You all made me feel more secure in my decision to bail out. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its absolute bull**** the hoops they make people jump through to get a part time job. Thing is, they have an endless supply of willing candidates for work of that nature. Sales/retail is another area. Only way to avoid that sort of bull**** is to skill right up so your the one making the demands, anything to do with science/engineering is useful (unfortunately this costs a tonne of money). There are also many trades, semi-skilled jobs with huge demand, or you can start some sort of business, which also costs a considerable amount, but at least you run your own race. Wish I saved my pennies as a teenager and twenty something and went into business.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have had interviews like this for TEMP jobs with the actual client. They do this because according to the recruiter the position 'may go perm'.

I can't get a job so I am thinking of buying an existing business

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Workforce is a joke. Since it became an employers market, the organisational psychologists flooded in to weed out the 'less than perfects.' I remember having a phone interview, a whole day "assessment centre", and then another interview just to do ****ing night-fill at IKEA. They then rang up saying I was one of the successful candidates, and would be looking at getting 15 hours a fortnight. I had to laugh.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Workforce is a joke. Since it became an employers market, the organisational psychologists flooded in to weed out the 'less than perfects.' I remember having a phone interview, a whole day "assessment centre", and then another interview just to do ****ing night-fill at IKEA. They then rang up saying I was one of the successful candidates, and would be looking at getting 15 hours a fortnight. I had to laugh.
Unbelievable nonsense. Is it any wonder people try to drop out of society?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a phone interview today for another potential temp job that is supposed to be for 3 months to cover a maternity leave.

I don't think the interview went well. All the interviewer (the client company) was concerned about was how my job search was going, what recruiters am I meeting with, am I actively interviewing now etc...

He told me very little about the position or company but wanted to know why I have been temping for so long (2 years). I told him about my downsizing in 2009 and the uncertainty in the economy but it doesn't seem like the answer went over well with him.

This was an interview with the client company for a 3 month temp job. The 'next step' would have been a face to face meeting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts