Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

24 and never had a "real" job

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  OhioState1 
#1 ·
I have not really done anything since I graduated high school (by the way I was home schooled since 4th grade until I graduated) for two years I just sat a home then my mom pushed me in the direction of photography. I enjoy it but I hate dealing with the people I am too scared to go out there and advertise my business so I only get 2 or 3 photo shoots a year from family members looking to take advantage of me. Then my grandmother had surgery me and my mom took over cleaning her houses which I really enjoyed because no one was home I could just do my job and not see anyone. After she can back to work we got a few house that we clean now. I would like to keep cleaning house more but today mom started in on when are you going to get out of here. She knows how I am she started yelling at me one day talking about how lazy I am and I told her it was more than that that I am so shy I can't do anything. But she just got mad and dropped the whole thing. Now she just gives little digs here and there. I have tried to apply to almost all the retail places but have got no word back from them. I have only drove by myself one time and do not drive now because my mom is always in a hurry. Sorry about the long rant.
But if any one else is like this I just want to tell you not to listen to the other people putting you down they are probably in a bad mood just looking for some one to take it out on or are looking out for your best interest in mind not knowing how hard it is with social anxiety. I am going to try baby steps again to get over my anxiety. Let me know if any of you guys are in the same situation as me or if you have any advice.

See less See more
#4 ·
yep same here. i havent done anything(job wise) since high school, except for volunteering at a homeless shelter, but i dont count that. i am sooo ashamed of not having a job, and i hate myself for it. i only ever apply online cuz i'm too afraid to call and follow up, so i never hear anything back. i kno i just need to put myself out there and do it, but omg i seriously get terrified and i stumble over my words and no one wants to hire anyone like that. i can never appear cool, calm, collected, outgoing, and happy cuz its hard for me to hide my shaky voice and red face...buuuuuuuuuut yea

#7 ·
I'm also 24 and haven't had a real job yet. I finished school in 2013 in March. The only "job" experience I had was working in a medical doctor's office, and that was only because my school required me to do 160 hours of externship work there in order to graduate. Otherwise, I don't think I would've found myself in that situation to be begin with. After that, I basically have done nothing.

#10 ·
My own mother said factory jobs almost always are happy to hire people who are willing and can do the work right. So maybe you should do that.

LIFE ISN"T A RACE. And if someone ahead in the race doesn't love you for being behind, let them race off a cliff :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.