Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Last month I made the decision to stop putting off college and do it. I currently attend Arizona State, and live off campus. My first month has been decent. Most of my friends are freshmen who live in the dorms who I've met through my cousin. My age has been hurting me alot inside. I feel like I'm just the old dude on campus. Am I to old to dorm next semester or rush a frat?

674 Posts
Not in college yet, but you're never too old to have fun bro.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, don't worry about it.

There are plenty of seniors (22-23) taking gen eds with freshman to graduate. You're right in the mix of things. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for dorming, it shouldn't be a big deal. You're taking classes with a group of people from 18 on to who knows how old. A few years doesn't mean a thing in college.

The main difference is alcohol. Obviously, not allowed in the freshman areas... junior/senior dorms are open in that sense.

·
Lost
449 Posts
Um, I'm 28 and a freshman. -_- We've got some guys in their 30s+attending college. And some pretty old women too, surprisingly. No one asks how old you are. Sometimes people will mention their age during friendly chats and such, but nobody really cares.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm 23 and just started a new program. The first three years after high school I wasted on programs that weren't right for me so I had to start over. On the plus side I think I have more confidence in general than I did when I was 18.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I would say "get your party ON!" Show them whippersnappers how we do it! :lol

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
VaticanWarlock, there is no age group on earth that beats itself up more about whether they are 'old' than people in their 20s. Don't worry about it so much.

For now you're in the normal college age range (most students who start at 18 don't even finish before they're 24). When you're not, nobody's going to tattoo the number to your head. People won't notice until you tell them and when you do they won't care. They'll like you or not, but it won't be because you were born the same year. Rush a frat if you feel like it, but I don't see the appeal anyway (although I guess at Arizona State it might be something most people do, wasn't that way in my school).

Dorm or don't. I know your looking for specific advice, but I can promise you two things:
1) You will not be the oldest undergraduate at the dorms (and there's plenty of grad student who dorm anyway).

2) There will be a lot ASU students who never dorm at all and just rent an apartment somewhere. This is either to avoid dorm rules or (very commonly) because dorms are pretty expensive compared to apartments and they want to save money.

It's not an age thing, just do what you want. Congratulations on going back to school by the way, be sure to plan out a basic career track early on. You'll be meeting people older than you who are going back to school after graduating with the "wrong" degree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts