Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to 1st grade in Santa Cruz and the report cards are in the "narrative format". Thought it fascinating to have written proof of all the problems I have had since a very young age. This isn't the whole thing, I just copied the pertinent parts. Would be great if anyone wanted to share what past teachers have written about you concerning social anxiety.

"Komorikun has the ability to learn to read, but she won't respond and do anything orally. She knows the names of the letter and most of the sounds. This we found out by giving her a test. When asked anything where she has to respond orally, she won't try it. How will we get her to read? She probably would try if it were one to one, but that isn't possible. I would like for her to be seen by our school psychologist.

I will be happy if we can just get Komorikun to talk to the other children. She will talk to me about new baby or something that has happened.

Komorikun is a dear little girl and it pains me to see what she will go through to keep from talking. When she makes all these faces, of course the other children laugh, which just makes it worse.

I would be willing to work with her after school for a while and see if I would get her reading to me. Maybe when she finds out she can do it, she won't mind reading with the others.

Komorkun's math work needs lots of practice. She gets very frustrated and then just stops until someone goes over and works right with her.

As I said, Komorikun is just beginning to speak up where we can hear her, I really think she should go to speech. Komorikun is starting to join in with group activities and raise her hand to enter the discussions or activities. I am pleased to see this.

Handwriting is not good.

She is a good worker but all writing activities are very frustrating for her. She wants to stay in the room rather than go outside and play. This is not good, as she needs to play with the other children and get some fresh air and exercise.

Komorikun's math work has really improved, too. I don't have to sit with her anymore to get the work done. She used to put paper in her desk and not finish until I caught her. Now she gets to work and finishes.

All writing exercises are very frustrating for her. She really almost goes to pieces if I don't stay right with her.

Because of this "thing" that she goes through, formal spelling lessons are not very good. We have had 6 tests with 6 words each. Out of 36, Komorikun only has a score of 14. Hope this improves. Still needs to think about her writing, too. She really doesn't care what it looks like. Everything else seems to be OK. Interacting more with other kids."

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very interesting... makes me wanna dig out my old report cards.

I'll wait till i'm home alone to do it, I don't wanna have to explain to my rents what i'm doing in the attic.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have reports which say similar things like "I will struggle in senior schooling and beyond if I continued to stay quiet" and there was never a year where not at least one teacher would not say to my parents I was really quiet.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
the front of my Kindergarten report card says

"as long as i live, i shall always be Myself and no other - just me" - walter de la mare
i don't know why this is important i'm just shocked i never noticed this.
From my account:
I remember I had two Kindergarten teachers assigned to the class, One was terrible and impatient she yelled at the top of her lungs and counted too fast making me hate math, try to picture Ms.Trenchbowl in Matilda. The other one; I only remember smiling and whispering but never speaking directly to me. I made friends well but i felt surrounded by children who competed for attention which is normal...I started feeling purposely attacked when other kids showed off their dads picking them up from school. I couldn't help it and it made me a spiteful person and I even started bullying one of my classmates. I dont blame myself because
I know for a fact other peoples actions, words have part in my SA now...but whats the point of knowing something? I'm the one that's left to fix the damage - there goes my anger dissociation.
My Progress Report:
Period 1
"____ is a bright child. She is also an excellent artist. She is, however, too talkative."
Period 2
"____ is doing well. She needs help identifying initial sounds of the letters."

Needs improvement

Showing self control, knowing address, recognizing shapes, understanding and using simple expressions

Ok so It worries me that I was really talkative, and I became quiet and detached from people. I hate to blame others but I think I was perfectly fine and others destroyed me with out even realizing it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Mine said I dont get along well with any classmates and I used the bathroom too much, go figure. :roll

I used the bathroom to get away from being teased by my classmates I just sat in the stall until I was brave enough to face the torment again, why on earth would I get along with people who tease me? That doesn't make me abnormal at all, I was scared and my feelings were hurt.

Teachers really need to to be Psychiatrists they do not understand child behavior very well.

·
Meek
447 Posts
I remember one phrase cos it struck me at the time (I must've been about 6-7) - 'C is quiet but well-liked...' I remember thinking wtf? well liked? news to me :lol At this period in time I was okay though - I just liked my own 'cooking' game with nuts and seeds and leaves in the playground more than I did playing with other kids. They sometimes asked me to join them and sometimes I let people join in my game.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I was advanced for my age, and even had been tested to see if I could skip grades. They said that I was only mature enough as a five-year-old to stay in kindergarten. The teacher said that I would go to pieces when criticized. Other than that, there wasn't much else said.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My mother told me I wouldn't talk when I was a toddler (at all apparently), I went to some kind of speech therapy from preschool to 3rd grade, in 9th grade a teacher wrote a letter to each student and mentioned on mine that I'm quiet. That's probably all the "proof" I can think of right meow.

·
Herp Derp
270 Posts
Before leaving for college I found a stack of old report cards we saved from elementary school. They did a weird thing with # instead of letter grades on a scale of 1-5. I was always smart and was in the gifted program and stuff, but for some reason they gave a separate grade for "listening and speaking" and "classroom behavior". 3 of the 5 years there the teachers really liked me because I would speak up in class and help people and was funny and stuff. But 2 years (2nd and 5th grade) I had absolute ***** teachers. They basically gave me Ds in that area because I would either get done so early I would disrupt people and get kicked out of class, or I would just talk out of turn all the time because I thought everyone else was dumb. I never talked down to anyone, I just talked A LOT.

I liked getting kicked out of class because I would go take a walk around campus, go to the bathroom, peek in windows at other classes and distract kids, etc (Basically everyone knew who I was so they' all be laughing and the teacher would chase me off) Then I would come back in, do an assignment, and get kicked out again for being loud.

I would get sent to the principal like once a month and every time would be the same BS, and I'd tell her I didn't like wasting her time just because the classes were too easy. My mom was understanding but my dad would always be furious if he got a call I was being bad.

·
Rest In Pepperinos
1,454 Posts
Now that i think of it..Most of if not, all of them had something saying " He needs to be involved in class more" meaning raising my hand to ask questions and being more social with students.

·
anxious geek
1,315 Posts
Grade 7: Catherine is encouraged to use her tone of voice and body language to clarify meaning during conversations and presentations.

She is encouraged to challenge herself to speak her mind in class, as many could benefit from her insight and opinion.

Grade 6: Catherine should focus on showing more expression when speaking in front of an audience.

She has some difficulty participating in class discussions, as well as showing motivation towards seeking challenges and taking risks.

Grade 4: She made a tremendous effort to overcome her shyness with [her presentation], and was well recieved by all.

Hey, apparent success in grade 4! Those are all the ones I have. My mom has the rest buried in her numerous boxes of stuff, but they all say the same thing I guess.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
That's sad ur teacher didn't know what else to call ur SA besides "thing." I really hope there's more awareness about it for today's kids.

I actually found a few of my old report cards. My 2nd grade teacher complained about me being "shy," and my mom asked if she had had shy kids before. She replied "not THAT shy" LOL

Here's what she wrote: "Melissa has made a nice adjustment to our school. She is becoming less shy with her classmates, though she rarely initiates a conversation or play. Melissa's timidness prevents her from participating in class. I would like to see her involved in an after school group activity; sports, gymnastics, girlscouts - something that is purely social. _____(this part is so messy can't read it). Melissa's academics are fine, but because she doesn't volunteer information for discussion, it is hard to know what she is thinking or how she is perceiving the information."

Wish she had referred me to the school psych instead of just complain. I really needed psychological help, not some after school activity.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I don't know that there was ever anything SA-specific on mine. I wasn't all that shy with other children or with familiar adults.

However, I remember on my kindergarten report card it said that I started crying because I thought I didn't have my library book when it was due and it turned out to be in my backpack. And my fourth grade teacher called me "cookie" because I would "crumble" (fall apart, cry) so easily.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
In high school one of my teachers said I was "unco"-operative.... smart *** ***** who didn't like me.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Teachers always wrote on my card:

"Lee is a very well-behaved boy. He rarely makes a peep. Such a quiet boy."

Apparently it was considered good behaviour not to talk in class at our school. Those who did would get punished with a swift ruler smack to the hand.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts