Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I finally went to my first Toastmaster meeting. I found a Toastmasters group on Meetup a few months ago and never quite made it due to my schedule and some anxiety. I've grown frustrated that my speaking and social skills are inadequate among strangers. It's taken a toll too long on my life. I know if I can improve my communication skills, my quality of life will be better.

Well, I was running about 15 minutes late for the meeting sitting in traffic. I almost convinced myself I couldn't go in late. I knew deep down that I really wanted to go to the meeting. Better late than never, I thought and I found a shortcut around the traffic. I was driving like a stuntman around sharp corners and winding roads. lol :) I wanted to be at that meeting so bad. As I opened the door to the meeting room, I let a warmth of understanding. I was not nervous at all! I felt like this was a group I've been seeking to practice my skills with. I volunteered for the a table topic and midway through my impromptu speech, I managed to make the crowd laugh at something I said without any intentions of doing so. ;) I didn't feel like I was trying hard to make a joke. It came naturally as did my introduction which went smoothly, I must say.

I look forward to seeing what Toastmasters and a little perseverance & practice can do for my communication & social skills. :)

·
Mutual Sufferer
169 Posts
Fantastic, I'm glad to hear a first-hand account from someone who attended a meeting. I've been wanting to go myself in order to polish my public-speaking skills, and dismantle some elements of my social anxiety.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Congrats, that sounds like it went really well! :D :boogie :clap

I'm glad (and inspired :D) that you went even though you were given an opportunity to back out (traffic). I hope that determination will help you see a lot of progress as you continue to go to the meetings. Best of luck to you and congrats again! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, that sounds like it went really well! :D :boogie :clap

I'm glad (and inspired :D) that you went even though you were given an opportunity to back out (traffic). I hope that determination will help you see a lot of progress as you continue to go to the meetings. Best of luck to you and congrats again! :D
thank you! i'm glad i inspired you. determination is exactly what it will take. :) have you ever been to a toastmasters meeting?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic, I'm glad to hear a first-hand account from someone who attended a meeting. I've been wanting to go myself in order to polish my public-speaking skills, and dismantle some elements of my social anxiety.
yeah, i would recommend anyone go if not just for the exposure of seeing how it's done. the next meeting isn't until January but I'm anxious to get started :) It's a very welcoming environment with lots of positive reinforcement and a balance of evaluations for improvements.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
thank you! i'm glad i inspired you. determination is exactly what it will take. :) have you ever been to a toastmasters meeting?
No, I have thought about it, and I really need to lol. Just the thought fills my stomach with dread and apprehension, though.

I think one of my goals will be to force myself to check one out. :yes I can't imagine being like this forever lol.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Those skills will come in handy for regular speaking, too :). Good job!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good job! Toastmasters is one of those things that scares me off. I mean, most people hate public speaking. That takes guts to go there.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have been a toastmaster for 4 years. Public speaking is the least benefit of toastmasters. It helps you speak up during meetings and you learn to give feed back to your boss or peers. I found I lost my social anxiety.

You meet fun people at toastmasters. Most of them have issues with public speaking and hence they are very supportive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You guys have really inspired me. I decided I'm going to join the toastmasters in my area. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Flow
93 Posts
I have to echo the thoughts of the previous posts, OP. I've also been considering Toastmasters as a way to help make me more comfortable socially, and it's always inspiring to hear something like this go well. Here's to your continued success. :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your story is inspiring :)
I was interested in trying toastmasters but then I am thinking....What can I possibly talk about??

·
Registered
771 Posts
Your story is inspiring :)
I was interested in trying toastmasters but then I am thinking....What can I possibly talk about??
Talk about yourself or your interest. A speech is a conversation with the audience. Much of the anxiety is because we want to be perfect. Avoid perfection and you will do fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts