Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yeah, I turn 18 in 2 days and here's the problem. Any other birthday I would just sit at home and not have to worry about being around people. But this year my mom set it up with this girl she works with, who is 20, to bring me to a hookah lounge with some of her friends. I accepted when my mom told me about it because I had met this girl once before and didn't feel anxious around her at all, we got along really well and I talked and she talked and all was normal (or whatever). But now that the day is really soon, I'm getting my usual bouts of anticipation. I'm going to be surrounded by people, and they're going to expect me to be all outgoing or happy or whatever. Plus her boyfriend will probably be there, who I met when I met her. He didn't say a single word, seemed like he was a pretty big jerk or something (but hey, people say I'm stuck up because I don't talk, so I'm not sure what to think.)

The thoughts I'm having are:
They're going to think I'm fat and ugly.
They're going to laugh because I don't know how to smoke out of a hookah. I've only done it once, years ago.
Her boyfriend already doesn't like me.
I'm not going to know what to say.

Ugh. I don't want to cancel, I don't want to disappoint myself, I want to have a good birthday spent with people who aren't my parents for the first time ever. But... well, you know, I don't want to make an idiot of myself. How do I deal? Should I go with my instincts and just cancel it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, or tobacco in this case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Uh, I know the party must seem kinda scary.
I'm sure they aren't expecting you to be a pro at hookah smoking. I've never done it myselfe, but you see how they do it and do it too... it shouldn't be hard... And even if you don't know, there's no big drama.
There will be quite a few people, won't there? Even if you don't know what you say, it's very likely they aren't as shy as you, and they will keep a conversation.
Plus, her bf may not like you, but you can also have missunderstood. When I'm with a friend and he meets a friend of his, I usually don't speak. Not because I don't like the person, but because I'm shy. Maybe he felt the same thing.
Well, anyway. Good luck with the thing and have a happy birthday. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts