Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning to bulk up again, I did it last year kind of half assed..gained 25lbs but didn't workout consistently.

This year I intend to do a 12 week bulking phase, and continue on from there on what I feel is best. I will start at 2700 calories per day, and up that 100 cals per week eventually getting to 3800 cals per day on week 12.

next 2 weeks I intend to doing rippetoes workout, regaining lost strength . After that I may continue it or go on a mass gain workout as my arms are lagging behind and I would really like to work on them, they only gained .5" on rippetoes up to 10.5" now

so weight training will be tue, thurs and saturday. On off says I will be running about 30 minutes each morning, just to keep my cardio in check.

hopefully by the springtime I will be 190lbs and lean, b/c I intend to join the college rowing team.this will help me meet more people and I can introduce myself that way at parties..instead of yeah I'm an animal science major lol

will keep my nutrition and workout logs here for the next 12 weeks.

any insight helpful

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Is it possible to bulk up while doing cardio with an ectomorphic body? (Do you have an ectomorphic body?). I want to bulk up and stay lean at the same time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I'm an ectomorph, I don't think it is such a good idea for me to be running those long distances..I would just be wasting money buying extra food really..I will stick to a light jog on my off days, nothing too extreme.

If you want to stay lean just research HIT cardio on bodybuilding.com, I think that would help the most.

I just need something to do everyday otherwise I start getting lazy and miss many many days.

so hurt my foot last weekend, can't run on it can barley walk normally, so squats, deadlifts and powercleans are out until it is better.

bench 105X5X3
press 65X5X3
dips 2X10
pullups 2x8

will work up 10lbs on those lifts for saturday

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did a workout yesterday with the machines at my complex, was OK..not really sore today..tomorrow I'm looking forward to squatting again and stuff.

machines I tried to do bench, shoulder press and the lat pull down. As well as some leg exercises.

tomorrow I intend to do
squat 125X5X3
bench 115X5X3
deadlift 135/145X5X1
chin ups 2X8
dips 2x10

as for cardio, I'm just going to count riding my bike to and from school as cardio, I always go fast until my legs burn and average about 6-12 miles per day

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Back at my fittest when I was 70 kg and lifting 4 days a week my best was as follows-

decline bench barbell - 40 kg x10 x3
incline bench dumbell - 25 kg x10 x3
Dips - bodyweight x3 x10
Pull ups- bodyweight x3 x8
Bent over row- 25kg x10 x3
Preacher curl - 18kg x10 x3

I'd like to get back to that place again, as I felt alot better mentally when I was at that point.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Are you pyramiding for warm-ups prior to your sets? For example, using your squat measurements, do a warm-up set of 10 at 105 (70% of 1 RM) pounds and a set of 8 115 (Between 80-85% of 1 RM)?

Pyramiding really helps as warm-up sets, it'll make your actual sets to be more effective because your muscles will be warm and more prepared.

Rippetoe is an awesome system, one can be easily programmed while maintaining the bread and butter exercises.

You should use this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1rm.htm

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I warmup, rippetoes is great. here is my post for today

its been a good day, got a room mate...no more writing out $900 checks haha..best part is he hunts a bunch so we are going to have madddd amounts of duck/goose in the freezer haha

workout was crowded but pretty damn awesome, some ****er stole my dip belt so I didn't do as much as I wanted..also i guess from cleans my upper back was very very sore..hurt to squat with it but I manned up anyways.
lifts are as follows.

squat-
45X7 good warmup
95X5-wewt
145X5X3-could have done 5lbs more it felt like, but progress is progress!

bench
45X7-nice
95X5X1-heavier than I remember
125X5X3-so happy I hit this, now my bench is in line with my squats

deadlift
115X5X1- warmup, felt grreat!
155X5X7-was too easy, bumping it up another 20lbs next time..got to work on squeezing the back though

dips love love love doing dips
2x8-bw forgot about weight belt haha
1X10 w/ 5lb weight-easy, then it got jacked, next time I plan to do 2X10 with a 10lb weight

chins
1X10-good at these, place was too crowded though.

saw a bunch of people I knew, almost got annoying after a while..that ever happen to you?
diet is in check, about 3500 cals intake today. thanks for reading

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love the 5x5's! IMO, that is the core of strength, mass, and cutting. I'm curious why you are only doing it for 2 weeks? Why not for 2 months instead?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10/28/09 Wednesday
School got cancelled because we got 2ft of snow, but a buddy had a weight room in his basement, so I used that..very nice workout out barefoot I like it

squat- forgot what I did on Mon so I kind of repeated the weight by mistake, knew it felt too light ah well.
45X10X1
95X7X1-gd
145X5X3- went deep right foot kind of hurt but its better today

press
45X10
67X7
83X5X30 the reason for the odd numbers is because the weights were in kg..but I did an impressive 8lb jump from last week.

cleans
111X5X1-good warmup
123X3X5- went great, doing 5 sets really helps out

was not able to do chinups, but I trained biceps for the first time and will continue to do so in future routines.
20X8
30X6
30X4
right arm was stronger than the left, could get 4 more reps out of it then the left one on the last set..also I saw viens I never knew existed in my arm..was a great workout

after ate a chicken breast on 4 slices bread with a lot of water and pb woot! love when schools cancelled... now to study for a chem test..booo
------
to answer laatteguy: I think I'm going to continue this for 3-4 months, until march/feb.

10/30/09 Friday
great workout today...ate a lot of food, but need more to grow!

glad my muscle memory is coming back and my lifts are staying good.

squat-
45X10-warmups
95X7-
135X5-felt good
155X5X3-went low and got it easy

bench
45X10
95X7
135X5X3-did great on these, felt like I could do more..but thats for next week ;-)

deadlift
135X7-good warmup
175X5X1- again too easy, bumping up another 20lbs next week..felt good though

dips
1x8-bw..nice warmup
took a weight belt out
20lbsX2X8-felt great, really felt the pump in my tris

chinups
did weighted chinups, felt it today..abs are sore and arms are quite sore as well..its great
7x1 with 5lb weight
5x1 with 5lb weight.

will continue with 5lb weight until I reach, 2 reps of 8.

had a chicken sangwhich and had an easy bike home.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
didn't eat much of anything on Monday and was on 5 hours of sleep, so I decided to skip that day..didn't hurt todays goals at all.

squat-
45X10
95X7-good warmup
135X5-
165X5X3-was harder because I skipped yesterday and didn't have the best diet for the past few days, but got it without much struggle.

press-lovin the progress on my press so much
45X10
65X7X1-good warmup, felt so easy
85X5X3- hit all of the lifts with relative ease..planning on doin 90lbs next time then I can put 25s on :-D

powerclean-missed my second rep at 125lbs, so I dropped 5lbs..but when I was done it felt too easy..will bump up to 130lbs next workout, cconfident I can handle it.
95X5X1-warmup
125X2-missed 2nd rep/wasn't as clean as I wanted it
120X3X5-felt too easy, but good form nonetheless

dips-should be off day ut i love doing dips too much, bumped up to a 25lb weight
1x8xbw-warmup
2x8 w/ 25lb weight..was perfect got all 8 reps both sets, will try 30lbs in 2 days

chinups-did 1x10xbw just to get back into it..haven't done them since friday.

overall good workout, can't wait until Thursday's though!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ate two large little ceaser pizzas and 2 packets of top ramen yesterday in order to train for my eating contest at about 12:30pm, I didn't feel like moving or doing much of anything after that..but I had a fantastic workout today!! getting on MWF routine next week..missed a workout this week and am not too pleased on that.

Squat-
45X10-good warmup, went low
95X7X1-good form
135X5X1-felt heavy on first rep, but then all was good.
175X5X3-at first I was unsure, but after the 2nd rep I knew I would get all of it..could probably have done more..but it felt great either way!

Bench(was worried about this one)
45X10X1-warmup
95X7X1-form was spot on..and weight was surprisingly light
145X5X3-got all 5/5/5 was GREAT! so stoked that I got this, really worked on good form

deadlift
135X7X1-so easy, was excited for the work set
205X5X1- I was feeling strong and got 205 rather easy, only limiting factor was my forearm grip which I need to have caught up..going 2 plates next week woot!

dips (i like dips too much, its unhealthy haha)
was thinking of warming up with bw
2x8 w/ bw+30lb weight-felt great, got all reps..last one just barley..thats good
2x8xbw cooldown, wanted to know what it felt like w/o a weight.

chins
did 1x6, but my tri's were too tired as was my back so I'm going to save that for workout B days.

after I had a banana, 2 pbj sandwiches, and a liter of water.

Happy Friday!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is it possible to bulk up while doing cardio with an ectomorphic body? (Do you have an ectomorphic body?). I want to bulk up and stay lean at the same time.
If you're bulking, cardio kinda defeats the purpose. You should stick to big compound lifts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
had a great workout yet again, I did some extra exercises before my power cleans because the space I do them in was taken, and still got all the reps I wanted.
I didn't have the best nutrition or sleep schedule the past two days, so I thought I would go down in weight..I didn't but the weight was harder to move...but I still got all the lifts I was going for so its all good!

squat-
45x10x1-warmup, went low
95x7x1-good
135x5x1-gd
185x3x5-was heavier than expected, bar speed was good though

press-
45x10x1-nice
65x7x1-easy
90x3x5-got all 5/5/5 but bar speed was slow on the last set..better sleep next time!!

powercleans(i did these last, worked out good)
125x5x3-decided to bump up only 5lbs from last week, got all easily..was tired from the other exercises though

abs
did weighted abs 5x12 with a 25lb plate, felt like I was doing it wrong..felt my legs and lower back getting worked more than my abs..oh well we will see tomorrow..this is what I did

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/press-sit-up
and at the top I did a plate twistx12
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/plate-twist
it really worked my upper back and shoulders keeping the weight above my head for all those reps though..i liked it

chinups
did chins with a 5lb weight, was an improvement from last time by far!!
1x8 w/5lb weight
1x6 w/ 5lb weight

hopefully on Fri I can get 2x8!!
ate some chicken and a pbj sandwich, just had 2T or pb with a glass of milk..off to bed soon..stay strong and true to yourself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
11/11/09(A)
Workout #8
cals=4420

warmed up biking to the rec center, stretched on the mat..went earlier than I normally do, about 1:30-2:30..wasn't crowded at all, I liked it a lot....my abs were still painfully sore, and man let me tell you you really do use abs in the squat, bench, deadlift..ouch! now onto the workout

squat-
45X10X1-good warmup
95X7X1-sweet!
135X7X1-did more than I planned, but it just felt so good!
195X3X5-got all fairly easy, bar speed was good..I was an idiot tho and didn't take a hint..their were 3 free squat racks and the one I'm at faces another one..so your doing face to face squats with another person if they are at the rack..well this cute girl comes up to the rack facing mine and starts doing 95lb squats and I've got 2 sets left on 195, she was clearly checkin out my ATG squats fo sho haha..shoulda said something tho..damn shyness

bench-
45X10X1-warmup was good
95X7X1-felt good, yea it did
135X3X1-dunno If I shoulda warmed up with this
155X3X1-got 3 reps and then it got stuck..I didn't take much rest from the 135 warmup so maybe that may have been it..but i'm pretty certain no more 10lbs jumps anymore :-(
150X3X5-got all 5/5/5, bar speed was slow on the last 2 reps on last 2 sets..but **** killer progress for less than a month right?

deadlift-was looking forward to this!!!
135X10X1-good warmup, squeezed my back
185X3X1-sweet!
225X5X1-what a great feeling, my forearm grip is barley hanging in there tho, but my back is strong!

dips-love these!!!
2x8 with 35lb weight-got it and got it goooood!!, worked tris/chest evenly.

pendlay rows-first time doing these, still getting form down but I've got it pretty well.
135X1-couldn't bring it to my abs..too heavy weight
115X3X5-good weight to get form, need to squeeze shoulder blades more though next time.

great workout today, it made me sweat way more than any other workout for some reason, can't wait to see whats sore tomorrow morning, hopefully those rows work out good...night guys, cals for today were about 4420 calories bulking up and away!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
11/13/09 (B)
Workout #9

Good workout today had a great diet today that made up for my lackluster sleep the past two nights. The weights are getting harder, but I'm still getting all of them..and when I'm done I thought that that was easy haha.

Squat-progressing good, no great!
45X10X- warmup
95X7X1-sweet
135X5X1-felt good
185X3X1- was heavier than expected, but good
205X3x5-Got all 5/5/5, probably could have done 7 on the last rep more..form was perfect.

Press-getting tough, bar speed was very slow and form was so-so
45X10X1-good warmup
75X5X1-heavier than normal but good
95X3X5-got all 5/5/5, but I was struggling on every rep..time to go up another 5lbs? or 2.5lbs?

Power Clean-like them, but I cut up my shins wile going up..good thing I was wearing high socks.
130X5X3-got all with ease, form was spot on..doing two 45's next time 0.o now thats cool, I remember when I was stoked to get that on my bench and squat nevermind power clean!!

chins with weight-
1x8 w/ 5lb weight
1x7.5 w/ 5lb weigt
I think I'm gonna move up to 10lbs next week, it was close enough and I didn't have the greatest grip.

abs-killer ab workout, also your arms and upper back
3x12 with 35lb weight
never been this tired after a work set was seriously drained and sweating like crazy, my abs will be painfully sore yet again tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Workout # 10

11/16/09(A)
Workout # 10

Woke up late, didn't have a great sleep schedule the past 2 days but had decent nutrition to hit the gym..went later than normal which was a terrible idea, never doing that again.

squat-
45X10X1-good warmup, took 5 minutes to get a squat rack
95x7X1-good again
135X5X1- Felt great! wanted to do more.
185X3X1-heavy
215X3X5-very heavy, speed was slow..bump up to 225 then I think I'm done w/ 10lb jumps..form was decent

bench took 10 minutes to find a bench, and when I'm on it buncha people were circling me like hawks..really distracting.
45X10X1-warmup
95X7X1-felt good
135X3X1-semi-heavy
155X3X5-did alright, bar speed was slow 5/5/4..will try same weight on Friday..hopefully get 5/5/5

Deadlift-Forearm grip is holding me back, what should I do?
135X7X1-love it!
185X5X1-felt good
245X5X1-intense, back and legs can support the weight but my grip comes undone at the top lol..will increase by 10lbs next workout or 20lbs depends..

abs-bunch a people hounding asking when I was gonna be done again >.<
4x12 w/ 35lb plate-tough as monkeys!

dips-hard! but I did abs first b/c the dip belt was taken.
2x8 w/ 40lb weight-got 8/7 would have gotten 8/8 but I did abs before this sadly.

had a protein shake and 2 pbj sandwiches post-workout..overall an alright workout, I hit 2 PRs officially so I'm pleased.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts