Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
nm jc
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your experiences and thoughts on this drug? Long term effects?

Do most people respond to 10mg or is it just a starting dose?

·
Banned
26 Posts
i was on 10 mg prozac - read my previous post about it. 10 mg worked pretty well for me, i couldnt handle any more. i'm on 10 mg of paxil now though, b/c i couldnt sleep on prozac

·
Banned
232 Posts
if you can find an antidepressant med that works for you it will be a big help and a part cure for your SA

however the usual dose range for prozac is 20 to 80, so starting at 10 for a couple of weeks is OK but the dose will then need to be worked up to 20 or more

I was arthur 56

·
Registered
23 Posts
Waste of time. Did nothing but make me a bit sleepier and made it harder for me to ejaculate, which if you're getting laid regularly is a plus but otherwise you're gonna have a harder time jacking off :D.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Made me super agitated, super anxious, have extreme insomnia and bad nausea for the whole month I was on it. I'm told that it's not really licensed for anxiety disorders in the first place, so if you have anxiety and depression like me, it will just make your anixety worse.

It's been approved for:

• major depression (including pediatric depression)
  • obsessive-compulsive disorder (in both adult and pediatric populations)
  • bulimia nervosa
  • anorexia nervosa
  • panic disorder but unfortunately not Social Anxiety Disorder or Generalized Anxiety Disorder - so this might be why some people find it useful if their problems are to do with panic attacks.
  • premenstrual dysphoric disorder

Obviously some doctors can still prescribe it for SA if they wish, but I don't think it's recommended considering there are other better medications made for SA.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Made me super agitated, super anxious, have extreme insomnia and bad nausea for the whole month I was on it. I'm told that it's not really licensed for anxiety disorders in the first place, so if you have anxiety and depression like me, it will just make your anixety worse.

It's been approved for:

• major depression (including pediatric depression)
  • obsessive-compulsive disorder (in both adult and pediatric populations)
  • bulimia nervosa
  • anorexia nervosa
  • panic disorder but unfortunately not Social Anxiety Disorder or Generalized Anxiety Disorder - so this might be why some people find it useful if their problems are to do with panic attacks.
  • premenstrual dysphoric disorder

Obviously some doctors can still prescribe it for SA if they wish, but I don't think it's recommended considering there are other better medications made for SA.
Prozac appears to be the most activating of the SSRI's, and is known to be the worst for causing Akathisia ie agitation, anxiety, and insomnia, and also has the longest half life, which can cause problems if you need to withdraw due to adverse effects, as they will linger around for a long time.

Personally I think that Lexapro is the most preferable of the SSRI's, followed by Zoloft, and in some cases Paxil and Celexa.

As shown by this large pool of studys http://www.wellsphere.com/depression-article/scientists-rate-the-top-antidepressants/596658 ofcourse individual cases may however vary.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Zoloft? Well for me atleast, I have to disagree. Zoloft in some ways can be just as activating as Prozac in my experience. The others such as Celexa, Paxil etc, are more sedating. But I guess this varies from each person.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Zoloft? Well for me atleast, I have to disagree. Zoloft in some ways can be just as activating as Prozac in my experience. The others such as Celexa, Paxil etc, are more sedating. But I guess this varies from each person.
Yeah it's true zoloft can be more activating than most of the SSRI's with the exception of prozac. But I don't really have much faith that SSRI's would really help with SA anyway to be honest, even in depression they only make 50% of users feel 50% better.
That said, if I ever had to go back on an SSRI again, then I'd take lexapro, simply because, for me atleast it was the "least worst of".

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
10mg is a low dose, but it stands to reason that you will get some benefit from half a normal dose if you wait 4-8 weeks; it's not like when you hit 20mg your brain suddenly decides to respond. It's just likely to be half that of a normal response, and doctors prefer to work you up slowly dosage-wise to avoid making you feel too bad.

Re: jacking off... It should be possible to mitigate the sexual sides if you add mirtazapine, but of course ask your doc.

·
Registered
440 Posts
bump..any more experiences?
Prozac had that "listening to prozac" effect on me. Although it pooped out on me after 6-8 months, I had the personality changing effects, where I WANTED to go and talk to a stranger, wanted to talk, had thoughts easily accessible in my head. It's not about motivation or fearlessness, but more about disinhibition.
However, not everybody responds that way to Prozac, and I guess I was "lucky" that it did in that sense. I think it's about 10-20% that respond that way.
I I would also say that it turned my brain from off to ON, in the sense that I felt more like myself. For some it can have a personality changing effect, but it's not a wonder drug for others and can be just as disappointing when it doesn't work

I got the effect on 10 mg. Anything higher and it was more side effects.

·
nm jc
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pooped out?

Do you mean it stops working after a certain amount of time. Does it happen to everyone.

Are their any successful long-term users?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pooped out?

Do you mean it stops working after a certain amount of time. Does it happen to everyone.

Are their any successful long-term users?
Yes, it stops working after a certain amount of time. I've learned that for most people it poops out after a year or so, if it ever does. But I think that it was that "miracle drug" for me and pooped out quicker: 6-8 months.

It doesn't happen to everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts