Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant understand why several members report being put on 10 mg prozac for social anxiety, the smallest dose that might be effective is 20

because we get so many early side effects, 10 is a good dose to start at for a week or 2, but it needs to be got up to 20 or higher to give it any chance of working for SA, and then you may need to wait 2 to 6 weeks before it cuts in, accepting that it may never work for you at any dose

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, it's not used for SA that's why arth67.

What are Prozac's FDA Approved Uses: Prozac is approved for:

• Major Depression for adults.
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Panic Disorder
  • Bulima Nervosa
  • Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (as Sarafem)

Off-Label Uses: Fibromyalgia
  • Arthritis
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Bipolar Depression
  • Lupus
  • Headaches
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
  • ADD/ADHD
  • Premature Ejaculation

When I was on this, it made me more anxious, so much that I was than I ever was before. A lot of other people with SA have reported similar things.

I think if it helps great, but I would imagine its probably working more for generalized anxiety than SA.

Anyway glad it makes you feel better.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its very often used for generalised anxiety or stress and the recommended dose range is and always has started at 20

·
Registered
440 Posts
its very often used for generalised anxiety or stress and the recommended dose range is and always has started at 20
Yes. And it worked for me at 10 mg. Anything higher just added more side effects. Let people see for themselves what works or not regardless of "recommended dose range".

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Very true, individual reactions vary greatly and even something as innocuous as body weight can change the drug effect you receive.

·
Registered
647 Posts
20mg works best for most teens and 40mg fluoxetine for adults but it varies im talking about in general, u should start low dose 10mg for a week for teens and 20mg adults

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good results from 10mg Prozac

My son, now 16 has aspergers, and this year social anxiety has become a challenge in school as his hormone levels begin to peak, and whenever he was with kids in his age group. As uncomfortable as I was regarding having him start medications, I am very happy with the results of only 10mg of Prozac. He has some shakiness in this hands the first two days, but within a week, he was noticing improvements without any side effects. It's been a month and my son is a new person. He's more confident and articulate. In addition, he attends a Christian youth group on Friday evenings on his own. He actually enjoys school! On the internet, you read stories about medications, good and bad. Finding the right medication the first time can be a challenge, I ws lucky! I take each day one at a time, and urge parents to consider medications when really necessary, and take the lowest dosage possible to get positive results. 10 MG of Prozac has been a miracle for my Aspergers son with social anxiety. Everyones chemistry is different, so dosages may be different for your child.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
10mg should at least help a little?? But I know prozac didn't help me at all and I was on 30mg. Different drugs work for different people maybe Prozac isn't the best medication for you and you should try switching it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts