Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Omg I agree! All of those are bad.
"You don't talk" is the worst!! Or "you're being quiet" AND the sarcastic "you're being too loud!" Is hurtful..

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
1. Why don't you talk? (Can you talk? You dont talk. Do you know how to talk?)

Yep.

2. Why are you so quiet? (Your too quiet. Stop being so quiet.)

Yep.

3. You are so boring.

Never heard this one. It's usually more done through body language.

4. Why are you so shy? (You're too shy. Stop being so shy!)

One that's slightly worse is when someone right by you tells someone else right by you "Oh, he's just shy", right in front of you. As if they're making it like you're not there. How do expect me to react to that!?

5. Say something! Talk!

"First you shut up, then I'll talk."

6. Sarcastically say "you are so loud! Stop making so much noise!"

Not this exactly, but one that annoys me to almost the point of physical violence is when someone sarcastically says "Shut up ___." or "Jeez, you talk way too much."

Even worse is that this always seems to happen when you're with a big group of people, so that the person saying it will feel all high and mighty, knowing that you'll feel all small and reduced to a little nothing. Sure, it gives you room for a comeback, but they know you aren't gonna come up with anything adequate.

7. Cat got your tongue?

I think the last time I heard this saying was back in the 1980's.

8. Why don't you just do it, and stop being such a baby.

This is just born out of plain old ignorance to anxiety. Or rather, the unwillingness to understand how crippled by our anxiety we can be.

Easy for them to say.

9. You don't have any friends.

Actually you're more likely to hear, "How come you don't have any friends?"
Or if it's high school or some BS like that, the popular insult of "___ has no friends" runs rampant.

10. Snap out of it!

Never really heard this one, but at least it's not as bad as "cheer up". That one is so dispassionate, it's insulting. "Cheer up" translated into English is "I'm in a good mood, so don't **** it up, you hear?"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
1. Why don't you talk? (Can you talk? You dont talk. Do you know how to talk?)
2. Why are you so quiet? (Your too quiet. Stop being so quiet.)
3. You are so boring.
4. Why are you so shy? ( Your too shy. Stop being so shy!)
5. Say something! Talk!
6. Sarcastically say "you are so loud! Stop making so much noise!"
7. Cat got your tongue?
8. Why don't you just do it, and stop being such a baby.
9. You don't have any friends.
10. Snap out of it!

These all kill me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's always sad to hear those from people around, relatives/family/strangers doesn't matter. I say "I don't know" usually, I think when they talk that way they don't deserve the attention from me to explain what I'm going trough. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can name a few off the top of my head

Why are you so moody(people just assume you're mad)

Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?(it's none of their business)

Smile and the world will smile with you(thats a killer)

the infamous "Why are you so quiet"?

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
Oh yes, such fond memories those phrases bring back.
"Everything ok?"
"Shut up for a second, will ya?"
"You need to talk more."

:bash

And there used to be this joke I heard a couple of times, somehow incredibly funny for everyone else:
There's a guy who is so, so shy he has to hide behind the curtains just to change his opinion.

My teeth cringe every time I hear it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My mom has told me to "snap out of it" in so many different ways. I don't think she'll ever understand how hard it is to try and change.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yeah these are no fun. Most times though people are trying to be your friend and get u to talk when they smile and say it though... unless you have straight up bullies and are in highschool and if thats the case im sorry(i know what that was like, ugh)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I absolutely hate it when someone says something like #6 ("Don't be so loud next time" or any variation) My father-in-law does this every time I eat dinner w/ the family. And he always laughs as if he has just said something really clever.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
OMG these are all soooo annoying. My friends called me out on being so quiet like 2 years ago and it has bothered me so much. That's the exact reason I even found this site. UGH I've even gotten the sarcastic one. This girl at work sometimes says "oh my gosh Jennifer you talk so much!" and I don't know how to respond to that. They have no idea how ridiculous this thing is we go through...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have experienced most of these examples. Most of the I have to deal with variations of #6 and it always annoys the hell out of me. I always just sit there embarrassed with a stupid smile on my face wishing I could come back at them with something clever.

The worst experience I had related to these examples was a variation of #9 when I was in college. During the holiday season, some people on my dorm room floor got together and decorated the floor. Part of the decorations was a list to Santa with everyone's names and what they "wanted" for Christmas next to their names. When it came to my name, it said...friends. I was pissed. So instead of tearing it down like I wanted, I took a pen and crossed out "friends" and wrote in something else. Not that I was all that sociable anyway, but I pretty much isolated myself from the other people on that floor for the rest of the year.

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
ew #6 and it's infinite variations are the worst... used to make me feel like poop. now i'm just like, "aight," and smirk at them which signals to them that i am a chill dude and usually this defuses the situation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
'snap out of it' is the worst for me
or 'get over it'

I find it really hurtfull when people think it's just a phase you can snap out of, like as if it's not a real problem and as if your just pretending

·
Your Average Unicorn
276 Posts
Personally, I don't mind people calling me shy. It means that they can interpret my body language well enough to know I'm not depressed, antisocial, boring or being rude.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
I dealt with all of those before except "Cat got your tongue?" It just makes me hate my life even more when people say that kind of stuff. I already know that people label me as "the quiet one" and that's already bad enough.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts