Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the idea that you can master anything you spend at least 10,000 hours working on? I've read this idea numerous times online. I've tried to do it before with drawing, but stopped keeping track. I think it really depends how you spend those hours.

My girlfriend has spent over 10,000 hours playing World of Warcraft over the years(the game keeps track of your time played). She has accomplished a lot but isn't as great as she'd like to be. I think the reason she isn't as great as she'd like to be is because a lot of that time was spent doing the same things and for a lot of years she hasn't been into doing serious raiding in guilds, etc. She has gotten a ton of hard achievements in the game though so I still think she is really great :)

Only other person I know who has done over 10,000 hours of something is my dad with driving. He drove buses most of his working life(Greyhound and city buses) and also enjoys going on drives for fun. Using a calculator I'd guess he has definitely driven over 50,000 hours :eek He's a great driver but I don't see him ever driving race cars lol He is really great with directions as well

I'd like to try something like this again but it is really annoying to keep track.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What do you think of the idea that you can master anything you spend at least 10,000 hours working on? I've read this idea numerous times online. I've tried to do it before with drawing, but stopped keeping track. I think it really depends how you spend those hours.

My girlfriend has spent over 10,000 hours playing World of Warcraft over the years(the game keeps track of your time played). She has accomplished a lot but isn't as great as she'd like to be. I think the reason she isn't as great as she'd like to be is because a lot of that time was spent doing the same things and for a lot of years she hasn't been into doing serious raiding in guilds, etc. She has gotten a ton of hard achievements in the game though so I still think she is really great :)

Only other person I know who has done over 10,000 hours of something is my dad with driving. He drove buses most of his working life(Greyhound and city buses) and also enjoys going on drives for fun. Using a calculator I'd guess he has definitely driven over 50,000 hours :eek He's a great driver but I don't see him ever driving race cars lol He is really great with directions as well

I'd like to try something like this again but it is really annoying to keep track.
Funny I read something about this the other day and I've been meaning to give it a go. I really want to learn how to draw digitally, and I'm going to keep track of my time once I buy a graphic tablet.

It's just so hard to start a new task because you feel like you suck. Seriously my art barely extends beyond stick figures atm. :no

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times."

where's my UFC players?

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am going to try this again. Might create a thread about it but am nervous about sharing my drawings. I'd probably have to choose some things to draw and then show if I've improved at them every 250 hours or so. I'd prefer art in general because it'd be easier to get the time in, but not sure if that would work well.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have rode bikes for over 10,000 hours easily since i was 5 almost every day
Do you think that much practice has significantly affected your skill level in bike riding? Do you just do regular riding or do you do things like mountain biking or doing tricks?

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Yup i go to the skatepark and ride around my city looking for good spots to stunt on. I can honestly say im pretty talented at it thx to so much hours of practicing

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup i go to the skatepark and ride around my city looking for good spots to stunt on. I can honestly say im pretty talented at it thx to so much hours of practicing
That's good to hear :) Glad all of your practicing has helped and thanks for sharing

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am going to try this again. Might create a thread about it but am nervous about sharing my drawings. I'd probably have to choose some things to draw and then show if I've improved at them every 250 hours or so. I'd prefer art in general because it'd be easier to get the time in, but not sure if that would work well.
Tried to start a topic about this but didn't submit because I felt nervous. I think sharing it online instead of doing it in private would give me motivation to improve, but there are so many variables. Like if one of my drawings I keep redoing is a landscape drawing, the time I put into it might vary each time and the amount of focus on details might vary. I assume people would think it was weird if I did a topic like this on art without any pictures and as said I'd have more motivation to improve if I was actually sharing.

·
SUS Member
10,650 Posts
I think you need to be actively trying to improve your skills during those 10,000 hours. It's not enough to do the same thing over and over again without ever trying to get better. 10,000 hours of throwing a ball at a hoop isn't going to do you any good if you never try to get it in.

You can "waste" thousands of hours by not caring about the quality of your work. That's why the world is full of hacks who do well enough to make a living but never seem to be terribly good at their job. If your focus on improving didn't matter, everyone who'd been doing the same job for the same length of time would be more or less the same.

·
Registered
538 Posts
WATCH:

according to Josh Kaufman, the 10.000 hours if about getting at an absolut top elite level, like Lionel Messi in football.

but if you just wanna get kinda good, like getting over the embarrising phase of the learning curve, you just gotta put in 20 productive hours of practice.

I think Josh Kaufmans speach here is really interesting. When you think about it, nobody has really time to becoming good at more than 1 thing in their life if it really took 10.000, but I personally know many people there are super good at multiply Things.

I have bought Joshs book, "The first 20 hours", and gonna read it in the near future and then try it out with skateboarding where my goal is being able to solid ride it + doing an standard Ollie. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts