Travelling solo HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Travelling solo HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH

Recently I went travelling solo for 4 weeks. I've never travelled alone at all or been away from my parents so it was a huge step to say the least. Never in my life have I changed so rapidly in 4 weeks. I have gained a ridiculous ammount of confidence and I'm now comfortable to talk to strangers, ask for help, talk to new people and make friends. it's like I'm a reformed person! I stayed in hostels and it was so easy to make friends and meet new people because everyone is open and friendly and eager to meet others and I felt so at ease talking to new people. I've been back a month and I haven't slipped into old ways too much so I really reccomend travelling solo, it sounds so scary but it's sooo rewarding, and you will feel like a million dollars.

Also before I went travelling I'd never been kissed but I finally got to be kissed after 21 pathetic years of waiting! SO yay me, again more confidence gained, and has definitely given me loads more confidence with the opposite sex.

But that said it's not like I've done a 360, I still get anxious, I will always be the quiet one but i've just got so much confidence from it, and I can't wait to travel again somedday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 AM
this too shall pass

Location: Earth, Sol, Local Cluster, Earth Systems Alliance Space, The Milky Way
I'd love to do that, strongly considering it.

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM
back to fantasyland

Congrats op.

Planning on going solo to Europe next year hoping I can get any sort of improvement in confidence and connecting with people because of it. Miracles can happen I suppose

Forever Alone Crew
Still Live with my Parents Crew
Never Had a Girlfriend Crew
Socially Awkward Crew
Dead by 30 Crew
Dead Inside Crew
Snitches get Stitches Crew
Anti White Knight Crew
The Un-American Crew
Wish I Was a Sociopath Crew
Dream Of Being Murdered Crew
Vegetarian/Vegan Hater Crew
Not Part Of The Liberal Circle Jerk Crew
Anti-Feminist Crew
3+ kdr Crew

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 AM
SAS Member

+1 for traveling solo. Like you, I was astounded at all the friendly people I met, at the hostels especially but also just on the street, bus, at restaurants and more.

Unfortunately, I've since fallen back into a lot of the same habits as before (I got crazy depressed after coming home ... exploring abroad made me forget that "this" was my life), but congrats. Gotta build up my life like that again for 2014.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Disillusioned Youth

I ended up in Germany in 2007, solo and befriended a medical student in a hostel there. Travelling is pretty awesome. Up for a Kibbutz in Israel, once I find the time after studying.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Stuck

Thats awesome OP, maybe its time I did something like that myself totally out of my comfort zone.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBagel View Post

Unfortunately, I've since fallen back into a lot of the same habits as before (I got crazy depressed after coming home ... exploring abroad made me forget that "this" was my life), but congrats. Gotta build up my life like that again for 2014.
Hi Bagel.. I completely agree coming back I got huge post travelling depression. I just felt like as soon I was making so much progress with my social anxiety and making friends and then I had to come home again, where I'm the same exact person. Was there anyway you helped get over your depression after coming back?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Permanently Banned

Where did you travel?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 AM
SAS Member

Yeah it had the same effect on me. It's like pressing fast-forward with your progress.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakamidget View Post
Hi Bagel.. I completely agree coming back I got huge post travelling depression. I just felt like as soon I was making so much progress with my social anxiety and making friends and then I had to come home again, where I'm the same exact person. Was there anyway you helped get over your depression after coming back?
I wish man, the best I can do right now is empathize: I made more friends on Facebook in 10 days abroad than in the several months since then, and it's kind of depressing. If you've just come back, the best I can say is that I feel much better now than before going on my trip, even it wasn't the mind-altering, life-changing, social-anxiety-gone-forever, permanent change I thought it would be.

I've just been concentrating on going back, whatever way I can, and hopefully for a much longer-term stay next time.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBagel View Post
+1 for traveling solo. Like you, I was astounded at all the friendly people I met, at the hostels especially but also just on the street, bus, at restaurants and more.

Ditto. I returned in August and I'm still depressed in December. It's like I went from amazing back to this boring, scared existence. I'm happy I have experiences, but it's so hard going back to nothing after everything.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Transient

Well, im happy to hear this, awesome

I left in May 2012 and have been going ever since.. i came back for a couple of months earlier this year to save some money, but basically i've found different methods for saving and making money abroad that has allowed me to travel for extended periods of time.. at the moment im working at a hostel in Budapest.

I don't think i would know how to even begin to come back home, i've long since drifted from old friends, work and everything else. Still keep in contact with my family but thats about it.. although on the upside i've had romances and friendships abroad that i'll remember forever, some are even like a second family to me.

I was recently blown away by the Canadian man who had been traveling for 23 years and managed to visit every country in the world. Imagine coming back home after that length of time! :P

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11...untries-later/

He who binds to himself a joy
Doth the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in eternity's sun rise.
- William Blake
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm just curious if any of you that's travelled alone before has had this problem. I just can't stop replaying every single social interaction I had with strangers on the trip. I just can't stop reliving it in my mind. Thinking about what I did right/what I did wrong/what I should of done etc. It's crazy, like I just do it all the time? It's tearing me up.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Fading Light

It can help build confidence for sure. I traveled nearly cross country by Greyhound once and I had a similar experience to yours. When you realize that you can rely on and take care of yourself, it's an awesome feeling.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM
SAS Member

I want to do this SO bad but Im afraid since Im a girl, never mind the fact that Im not too street smart :P
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

I really want to do this, but I can't until I get off of my parent's money. Do something alone for once.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Aluminum Anthill Survivor

Language: English
My Mood: Brooding
I've never left America. I would love to travel but I'm scared to go alone. Maybe taking such a huge leap would change me in some way, for the better. I wouldn't mind ending up stranded in a place like Tokyo and having to start anew, build a fresh life from the bottom up.

The ant's a centaur in his dragon world.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page