Transcendental Meditation is curing my SA - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Transcendental Meditation is curing my SA

Hey Folks,

Ive recently found out ive SA but all along ive been doing everything i needed to be doing to get past this without ever knowing id SA i was just doing what i knew i needed to be doing. I discovered i had SA through a fello dj friend of mine, i watched a video he uploaded on You Tube about his phobia and it blew me away, he was describing my life in detail my muted existence in primary school, i would keep to myself afraid to speak to anyone, avoid almost everyone, i was like that kid in american beauty without the plastic bag as a friend lol

I was depressed, very badly so for a long long time and nobody every knew why, i even had a physiologist as a kid for awhile, and it kind of ticks me off that she could not figure out id SA maybe it was not well known back then :S By my late teens i was a walking corpse, i didnt really care about anyone, a close friend of mine died in a car crash and my attitude was like 'meh' **** happens, id no emotion thats how far i was gone. Mentally i was in a dark cave and i could not see any light let alone want to find any.

Im not sure when it happened but it was like something turned off or turned on inside me, it was like because i have been at rock bottom mentally for so long that it really does not matter what people think of me anymore,...who cares! Its kind of hard to describe everything, to get everything out, my memory is very blurred i think i did block so much out, i made myself forget i was so unhappy for a very long time. But anyway the only way i can describe how i changed (that one day 3 years ago) is to say i was reborn, something ticked and i decided to set some goals for myself, i read my fist book (David Wolfe - The Nine Principles of Living in Natural Magic) which is an amazing book but what amazed me more was he talks so much about setting goals in it and how good they are. Jan 08 i gave up smoking and im still of them cigis, i also started going to the gym and im still going every week. I also went down this healthy eating route and i love it, super foods are the bizz!

June 08 i decided to go for another goal, i want to be a DJ/Producer so since then until now i have been saving every penny i have to get into a private college to study sound engineering and music tech, thats for the producing side of things, ive got the djing side sorted already, living in my little room with my turn tables for along time now XD

So basically the last year has been an amazing goal setting journey which i stuck with, stayed on track like somebody training for the Olympics, 3-4 days a week in the gym, healthy foods, i still had the problems with socializing and the fact im going to college at the end of September and have to meet a bunch of new people and get very close and personal in a music studio for a year was scaring the life out of me but i didnt think about it i didnt want to i just wanted to keep doing what i was doing,,.... but then in April of this year i was speaking with friends, and they know how i am shy... but they also knew im very open to anything really so they told me about what they have been practicing for the past few years and how it has completely changed their lives,.. Transcendental Meditation. They told me of a friend of theirs that was just like me (maybe he has SA i dont know) but they said after only a few weeks of TM he was a completely different guy, a happy guy they said you could see it in his face, a big smile all the time and now he is out doing volunteer work for some groups and he is even in a band. It didnt take me long to decide that i wanted to try this, i was not put of by the price tag either because i dont put a price on happiness, who would really! So i used some of my college money i had saved up and learnt how to practice TM.

5 and a half months later and i cant honestly describe how happy i am that i decided to do TM, it has completely changed my life, Im not afraid to talk to people anymore, anyone! Infact the only issue i have now is not being able to talk about anything because ive been a mute for so long, but hey thats just another goal ill be setting for myself Through TM i have lost my anxiety, my fear factor,... its like i dont care what people think, it does not boder me one bit, ive got this blissful joyful happiness coming out from within me that even now as i write this is putting a smile on my face, im not used to all of this but i love it

There is so many famous people that practice this too, moby, paul McCarthy, the beach boys singer, Hugh Jackman there is loads more too i just cant think of them off the top of my head. This isnt just a tool to kill anxiety, it helps you gain so much creativity too, theres so much to it, its ''a tool to develop a higher state of consciousness'' eh right im going to give you as much info on TM as i can because if one person can get what i have out of this its worth while.

TM Programme at a Glance
There is a rich, unbounded field of creativity, energy, and intelligence within each of us. To the degree we’re able to draw from this inner field of life, we grow in health, happiness, and success in our outer life.
Your Unlimited Potential
The Transcendental Meditation technique is a simple, natural procedure to gain deep rest— and contact that inner reservoir of creativity, energy and intelligence—to gain its support in all you do and to enrich your life day by day.

Everyone can learn to practice the Transcendental Meditation technique successfully. It’s easy and enjoyable—just 20 minutes twice a day sitting comfortably with the eyes closed. It requires no effort or concentration, no special skills or change of lifestyle. You don’t even have to believe that it works! Meditate regularly twice a day and you’ll get results.

Restful Alertness
During the practice of the Transcendental Meditation technique, the mind and body settle down to experience a unique state of restful alertness. As the mind becomes more silent, the body becomes deeply relaxed. At the most settled state of awareness, the mind transcends all mental activity to experience the simplest form of awareness, Transcendental Consciousness.

Scientific research has shown that the experience of Transcendental Consciousness is correlated with greater creativity, improved learning, higher IQ, better grades, higher moral reasoning, increased brainwave coherence, and improved neurological functioning of the body.

The Transcendental Meditation technique is a practical, proven procedure for developing more energy, creativity, and intelligence—for awakening the unlimited potential of your mind and body and enjoying greater health, happiness, and success in life.

Here are You Tubes vids for you to look at

John Hagelin ph.D (one smart dude)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZOFJ2r8nrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD0aA...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvEk...eature=channel

Film Director David Lynch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnbsboEvfoA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD7MR...eature=channel

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the guy who brought TM to the western world)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0icNZnUxYo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ajE...eature=channel

Hugh Jackman and Howard Stern (on OCD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilz0v...eature=channel

Random examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrMv...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGijj...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdVr...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWlg...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHdi...eature=channel

Are all meditations the same?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l41m...eature=channel

I really cant say enough about TM, and im no tree hugging hippy im just a guy...

Well i hope some of this can help

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
SAS Member

hello, could u atleast say what thoughts comes to your mind when u meditate and how they improve your personality?
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippa View Post
hello, could u atleast say what thoughts comes to your mind when u meditate and how they improve your personality?

Hi ippa, im not sure what you mean? When i meditate normal thoughts come into my head but i dont concentrate on them, your actually not supposed to its the only form of meditation where you dont concentrate, everything is an easy relaxed process, you have your mantra which you repeat in your head over and over without concentrating on it, you just do it.

Thoughts come and go but i dont think anything of it, sometimes when im in a deep meditative state i will suddenly jerk or twitch, but ive been told that that is purely stress leaving the body, you can ask me more questions if you like ill try answer as honestly as i can, but like i said im just a guy

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 AM
SAS Member

ok thanks, so u mean meditation relax your body and make u calm, i also wanted to ask did it improved your "chatting with people skill" and if so can u tell me how?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippa View Post
ok thanks, so u mean meditation relax your body and make u calm, i also wanted to ask did it improved your "chatting with people skill" and if so can u tell me how?
improve my chatting with peeps? absolutely! im not there yet but im getting there, ive come such a long way, i still have this major anxiety problem (its probably my biggest anxiety issue) with being around anyone while i eat, especially in work in the canteen, but i just take a deep breath and try and chill.

Before i tried this meditation i could not chat with people because i was afraid to, full of anxiety, i was also full of negativity due to me and me 'issues' i was an angry guy and sad at the same time, it hurt me alot because deep down im a nice guy, im full of knowledge and i can have so much to talk about if i can just talk! It annoyed me that i knew the real me but nobody else did how could they i kept to myself, im in work now typing this message out (dont tell anyone ) but in here for the most part, people think im either nice and quite, arrogant and quite, or weird and quite! or is that just me thinking this!?, but with anyone i do talk to in here im so relaxed now, i used to avoid everyone keep my head down and totally crash inside and turn into a babbling fool if one of my supervisors or managers came over to me, i think for the most part they think *theres something wrong with that kid* haha

I try explain how the meditation has affected me the most, first off everyday im happy, totally, and im not at all depressed for once i can say that its gone its not putting me down anymore, with that alone i never had any spirit to be able or happy enough to talk to anyone i just wanted to be alone, if its one thing ive learned its that depression only wants more of itself!, and my anxiety its not totally gone but id say 70% gone, i still get the same anxieties i always did but on a much smaller scale, i still get them when i talk to people BUT im not afraid to talk one bit, infact if im sitting around in the canteen in work bored instead of keeping to myself and be my old insecure way ill get up and walk around and if there is someone i know ill walk over to them even if i dont say anything and again that doesn't boder me because ive lost my fear of caring what people think and i think thats the best thing really, i really dont care what people think anymore. Ive a t-shirt on now that i split gravy all over i look like a right dope lol if that was the old me id probly do my best to hide it get all anxious and maybe even go home to change it, im sitting here laughing about it and others commented to that i need a babys bib XD

Im losing my fear of caring what people think really thats how i can put it...

Is that what you need to know?
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
SAS Member

Great, but how do I do it?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

You need to find yourself a TM teacher, do a google search for a TM centre for your local area im not sure how plenty full they are where you are, im in Ireland and theres only 3 places over here to learn it, i was lucky enough to be living in the same city as my teacher.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:28 AM
SAS Member

Starfox, so as i understand your chatting with people skill improved automaticly after u practiced meditation long enough, u didnt do something for example like learning exactly how to have a conversation or some bright insites on how to connect with people? if so thats very cool, im still trying to find some formula for conversation or even a state of mind where words would flow naturally.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

No not at all, ive always known what to talk about or i have so much i could talk about its just anytime i tried before its like an invisible wall was there in front of me stopping me, id get anxious and my brain would turn to mush and id crash and usually if i did say anything it was one or two words, and very awkward at that. Before i realized ive SA i used to think the reason i wont talk when i really should is because ill only talk about things that im interested in because i wont talk about things that seem a bit silly or not exciting or below me, its a very selfish way of thinking but it still confuses me. I still have that anxiousness of anticipation of someone coming over to me and chatting to me, like an example today in work, a friend of mine i have not spoken to in ages came over to me unexpected and sat down beside me, i got a bit of a shock i wasnt ready and my heart started to pace but we had a good conversation about alot of things, his new car, work and when im going to college, fishing and football, one thing led to another i was very relaxed and my head was clear i was calm, and i enjoyed it, it was pleasant and the more i do it the easier it will get, im going to force myself into these situations more.

If your having trouble coming up with something to talk about maybe practice in front of a mirror, its not a silly thing to do because tons of people from all aspects of life practice charisma, obama must have spent hours in front of a mirror.

Last edited by Starfox; 08-20-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typos
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 AM
SAS Member

i see Starfox, im like this also i have tons of themes to speak, but i cant, i have these strong feelings that nobody is interested in what i can tell them, or i fear to ask straight questions thinking that i will disturb personal territory of the person, this also resulting that i know little about what people thinking and doing, i fear to talk about simple feelings of people and my also as if its not cool to talk about a feelings, even with friends, i have hard times to even tell the truth what im doing now or how i feel when people ak me about it, this all leads to shallow, empty conversations and at the end i see that people feel a disgust for me or dont take me seriously or other crap.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Before when i went to talk, id get stuck id be blank nothing to say, it would anger me and depress me at the same time. Now in a way its strange its like experiencing the world through different eyes, i dont have that wall or whatever it was stopping me, i dont get stuck i have ideas coming into my head, i can create a conversation out of nothing and im realxed im not as worried its getting easier everyday, and im happy too and other people will see that, they see the outgoingness from you and i just go with it and its getting easier to talk, i also find its alot easier to be like this when i have more energy so i try look after myself too, eat real healthy and i go to the gym alot too
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:14 AM
SAS Member

great to hear Starfox that u make progress, hope things get even better for u.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

thanks ippa
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
dax
Losing Ground

Do you practice TM on your own or did you ever have an instructor? What kinda music do you want to DJ/Produce?

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
Do you practice TM on your own or did you ever have an instructor? What kinda music do you want to DJ/Produce?
Hey Dax,

I learned TM through a teacher, you can learn it yourself but you wont get the full benefit, this has been passed down from teacher to teacher for 6 thousand years and it is the exact same now as it was back then. There is a ceremony, and the atmosphere has to be right, its an innocent process its very hard to describe, i cant tell you how chocolate tastes you have to experience that for yourself.

I can take out a sound engineering book and read it page by page or i could pay for a course and get hands on tuition from a teacher with years of experience! The price tag on TM might put people off, but id gladly pay 100 fold for what its done for me, and the money you do pay goes into the TM movement which does all sorts of great projects around the world, like build universities, like the one that they are building on a small island off Ireland (Galway) right now.

Theres also the fact that it pays for 17,000+ people (accom, food, ect) who everyday practice TM in the same location in India to create a cosmic positive energy in the ionosphere, sounds out there? There has been scientific studies and its been proven time after time that mass TM in a crime high, war stricken area significantly decreases violence in that area. So something like this on a scale as big as this will have a great affect on the world itself, 17000 is alot of people!

Now if you dont want to pay for this you can always trek over to the Himalayas find yourself as master that teaches this and ask him to teach it to you, although you will have to prove yourself worthy and you can only guess how

TM is all about change from within, i can tell you to go do it but then it would be for someone else and not you, if you really want this you will go and learn it for yourself

Anyway dax i want to produce electronic dance music, mainly Trance, i have an addiction for it lol but who knows i do love all sorts of music, ill see when the time comes.

You can check out some of my mixes here, some are very hard techy and some are more mellow trancey :P http://djmix.net/ShaneC/mixes

Shane
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
dax
Losing Ground

Hey, thanks a lot for your response. I've been wanting to try some kind of meditation for a while now but wasn't sure where to begin. I def want some kind of instructor or something too, someone with experience, I could never teach myself. So how did you locate your teacher? Have you ever tried any other kind of meditation. How often do you use the technique and where? Like would you use it at work or school?

I'll check out your mixes when I have some more time. I used to be a huge fan of trance. I haven't listened to it in a while though.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
Hey Dax,

I learned TM through a teacher, you can learn it yourself but you wont get the full benefit, this has been passed down from teacher to teacher for 6 thousand years and it is the exact same now as it was back then. There is a ceremony, and the atmosphere has to be right, its an innocent process its very hard to describe, i cant tell you how chocolate tastes you have to experience that for yourself.

I can take out a sound engineering book and read it page by page or i could pay for a course and get hands on tuition from a teacher with years of experience! The price tag on TM might put people off, but id gladly pay 100 fold for what its done for me, and the money you do pay goes into the TM movement which does all sorts of great projects around the world, like build universities, like the one that they are building on a small island off Ireland (Galway) right now.

Theres also the fact that it pays for 17,000+ people (accom, food, ect) who everyday practice TM in the same location in India to create a cosmic positive energy in the ionosphere, sounds out there? There has been scientific studies and its been proven time after time that mass TM in a crime high, war stricken area significantly decreases violence in that area. So something like this on a scale as big as this will have a great affect on the world itself, 17000 is alot of people!

Now if you dont want to pay for this you can always trek over to the Himalayas find yourself as master that teaches this and ask him to teach it to you, although you will have to prove yourself worthy and you can only guess how

TM is all about change from within, i can tell you to go do it but then it would be for someone else and not you, if you really want this you will go and learn it for yourself

Anyway dax i want to produce electronic dance music, mainly Trance, i have an addiction for it lol but who knows i do love all sorts of music, ill see when the time comes.

You can check out some of my mixes here, some are very hard techy and some are more mellow trancey :P http://djmix.net/ShaneC/mixes

Shane

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hey Dax,

Yea i found myself a teacher, i was very lucky because there is only 3 places to learn this in Ireland and i live in one, Waterford city (yea Irelands not a big place either way ). I have not tried any other form of meditation i never pictured myself doing this a year ago, to be honest mentally ive climbed a mountain in the last year. When you hear people talking about meditation you hear them talk about this 'enlightenment' and how thats what they are trying to succeed in reaching, Monks hide away away in caves for years trying to get there, or in any random example similar. Im not going to say this is the best meditation because i have not experienced any other form so i cant judge but i can say anyone who has always told me this is the one to do. 'Enlightenment' is the 4th state of consciousness, or in scientific terms 'the unified field of consciousness' or for the average Joe 'the zone' its where your brain frequencies vibrate between 4-7hz (Theta) and fluctuate to 40+hz (Gamma)

THETA BRAINWAVE STATE
Going deeper into relaxation, you enter the elusive and mysterious Theta state where brain activity slows almost to the point of sleep, but not quite.
Theta is the brain state where magic happens in the crucible of your own neurological activity. Theta brings forward heightened receptivity, flashes of dreamlike imagery, inspiration, and your long-forgotten memories. Theta can bring you deep states of meditation. A sensation of "floating." And, because it is an expansive state, in Theta, you may feel your mind expand beyond the boundaries of your body.

GAMMA BRAINWAVE STATE
A gamma wave is a pattern of brain waves, associated with perception and consciousness.
Gamma waves are produced when masses of neurons emit electrical signals at the rate of around 40 times a second (40 hertz or Hz), but can often be between 26 and upwards of 70 Hz. By one definition, gamma waves are manifest at 24 Hz and higher, though researchers have recognized that higher level cognitive activities occur when lower frequency gamma waves suddenly double into the 40 Hz range. Research has shown gamma waves are continuously present during low voltage fast neocortical activity (LVFA), which occurs during the process of awakening and during active rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Some researchers do not distinguish gamma waves as a distinct class but include them in beta brain waves. Until recently gamma brain waves have received the least attention and research, although more attention is currently being paid to them than in years past. During moments when bursts of precognition or high-level information processing occur, your brainwaves reach the Gamma state. Experiments on Tibetan Buddhist monks have shown a correlation between transcendental mental states and gamma waves

Basically im saying people spend their whole lives trying to reach this state of 'transcendental consciousness' or enlightenment' but by practicing TM you can get their in less than 20 minutes, you dont even have to believe in this, it works either way. If you reach this state of consciousness there is no thought no nothing, just pure consciousness, and because there is not thought you wont even know you were there until you come back out of it, its funny sometimes the time just goes and ive no idea what happened lol.

To answer your question, i will use it where ever i have to, i had to get past that straight away, not caring what people think which was hard but i dont want to miss even one 20 minute session, this is the best thing ive ever done, so much so ive put all this effort into promoting this here haha, if people knew what they were missing out on theyd rush to this lol

Im not sure where your living but you can try here for a start, theres contact numbers here too http://www.tm.org/

What is the Transcendental Meditation technique?
The Transcendental Meditation technique is a simple, natural, effortless process practiced 15–20 minutes twice daily while sitting comfortably with eyes closed. It is unique among techniques of meditation, distinguished by its effortlessness, naturalness and profound effectiveness.
The TM® technique allows your mind to settle inward, beyond thought, to experience the silent reservoir of energy, creativity and intelligence found within everyone—a natural state of restful alertness. During the practice, your brain functions with significantly greater coherence and your body gains deep rest.

Can I learn the TM technique from a book?

Kulreer Chaudhary, M.D. medical director of wellspring neurology at scripps memorial hospital in San Diego, California
“The TM technique is unique among forms of meditation. It’s natural and effortless, but requires personal instruction to learn. Imagine trying to learn a natural golf stroke from a book. Or if you have ever learned to play a musical instrument, you know how helpful it is to have a good teacher. The teacher is needed to show you proper technique, so you can grow in confidence that you’re proceeding along correctly. Learning the TM technique is a lot easier than mastering the piano or getting a good, natural golf swing, but involves the same kind of personalized guidance.”

Are all meditations the same?

James Krag, M.D. is President of the Psychiatric Society of Virginia and a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
“Just as there are many kinds of medication, there are also many approaches that are termed ‘meditation.’ The vast majority of the research on meditation has been on the Transcendental Meditation technique—and the findings clearly indicate that the TM technique works better than other researched mental techniques to promote health. If research shows that a specific medication helps treat a disorder, it would be irresponsible and illogical to conclude that all medications help treat that disorder. In the same way, research on Transcendental Meditation should not be generalized to include other techniques also called ‘meditation.’ We should intelligently choose what works and what is supported by research. Therefore I strongly support the introduction specifically of the Transcendental Meditation program into our nation’s schools and health care systems.”

Any more questions feel free to ask

O and ill have a new mix ive been working on for some time uploaded to that site sometime tonight, 10pm Irish time...

Shane
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 AM
3rd SAS Battalion

Thanks I'll try this.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britisharrow View Post
Thanks I'll try this.
Thats great

What i will advise though is approach this with a relaxed mind, dont focus, dont concentrate, dont make the mind work. This is the Vedic way, everything should be easy, the funny thing is if you do approach this with a focused mind, the mind will not settle down the mind will be kept active (beta brain wave) but if you keep working the mind it will eventually get tired, bored, and settle down itself anyway, so either way this works

Heres some more vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_m5...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgxEk...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2_i...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrMv...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8if1S...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ318QInrUg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page