Story time! First job, overcoming anxiety, and youtube! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Story time! First job, overcoming anxiety, and youtube!

I recently got my first job at Kroger after a long battle with social anxiety and agoraphobia. I'm a part time courtesy clerk (person who bags and gets carts) and it's a job I can actually do! I'm fast and precise, plus I don't have as much obligation to talk to customers like a cashier. For years I have struggled with getting out of the house and making conversations with strangers, even keeping friends. I even had to be homeschooled my senior year of high school because panic attacks were happening daily. This has been a huge step in my recovery. I feel like this is the begining of a slow transition to normalcy.

I have made a friend on SAS who has coached me through life events recently. He has struggled with social anxiety for much longer than I have and has worked so hard to overcome it. He's messaged me for a few months, giving me tips on situations and motivating me to work on getting better. It has helped tremendously! He makes youtube videos sharing stories and stratagies on how to cope with anxieties and they really help. It makes me want to make a youtube to share my expiriences and help others. If I did, would any of you watch it?

Thanks for reading! If any of you have any stories of small steps you've made for recovery, please do share! I'd love to read them. We can get better! Maybe not perfect, but definitely better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 AM
SAS Ghost

Nice! I have a friend on SAS that makes youtube videos as well and helps coach me on social anxiety. I would for sure check out your videos as I love watching fellow SAS discuss SA.

"There is a ghost here. A lonely, heartbroken spirit. The ghost of everything that could've been and never was."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:14 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Congrats. This is very inspiring and I would definitely watch your youtube videos.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:39 PM
The Awesome One!

Congrats on your progress!

I would be interested in watching your videos and I'm sure also many other "future success stories in the making".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Brittany

That's awesome! It's great to hear that you're overcoming this! (: My first job also helped me break out of my shell a bit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Improving every day

Yes! Make youtube videos!! It's funny you say that, I've thought of trying that one day, too! Baby steps for me first though
Very inspiring <3

SA chat support group: dreamplaycreate.com/shy
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Yes, I would def watch! Plus it would be cool to watch someone you knew beforehand
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeh View Post
I recently got my first job at Kroger after a long battle with social anxiety and agoraphobia. I'm a part time courtesy clerk (person who bags and gets carts) and it's a job I can actually do! I'm fast and precise, plus I don't have as much obligation to talk to customers like a cashier. For years I have struggled with getting out of the house and making conversations with strangers, even keeping friends. I even had to be homeschooled my senior year of high school because panic attacks were happening daily. This has been a huge step in my recovery. I feel like this is the begining of a slow transition to normalcy.

I have made a friend on SAS who has coached me through life events recently. He has struggled with social anxiety for much longer than I have and has worked so hard to overcome it. He's messaged me for a few months, giving me tips on situations and motivating me to work on getting better. It has helped tremendously! He makes youtube videos sharing stories and stratagies on how to cope with anxieties and they really help. It makes me want to make a youtube to share my expiriences and help others. If I did, would any of you watch it?

Thanks for reading! If any of you have any stories of small steps you've made for recovery, please do share! I'd love to read them. We can get better! Maybe not perfect, but definitely better!
Congrats on the job! I also recently started my first job. I'm working as a sales person so there's gonna be a lot of conversation involved with customers which really scares me but i think no matter how scared i am by it, i just have to keep going because in the long run this will help me so much with my SA.

Also if you made a youtube channel i would definitely watch!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

Location: Australia. Feel free to have a chat whoever you are. I'm nice I promise ^.^. Skype - mrvissero
My Mood: Devilish
Glad to hear it. This person sounds awesome. I wish I had a mentor haha. I had to learn everything through blunt forced trauma xD. It would have been nice to have someone backing me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page