Spent some time with someone - maybe I'm not as hopeless as I first assumed - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Spent some time with someone - maybe I'm not as hopeless as I first assumed

As someone with relatively bad social anxiety I find it difficult to talk to people I don't know really well. A few days ago some of the people I sit with in my lectures (we haven't really done much outside of university) asked me to go grab lunch with them - being the over-analytical socially awkward wreck that I am, I assumed that it was just because I was there at the time rather than a genuine desire to spend time with me.

But after we were done eating and everyone was heading their separate ways, I got asked by one of the girls to go shopping with them - I figure anyone else (by which I mean people without SA or similar conditions) would have just been cool with it and gone (or not, on their own perogative). But of course I was thinking "Does she actually want to spend time with me? Really, me?" the whole time - but the fact that she was the one asking me to go to lunch and made a point of stopping me before I went home after getting food to stay and do stuff kind of says otherwise, to me at least.

I dunno, I consider it a much needed confidence boost, and from it I figure that hey, maybe I'm not as socially inept or hard to be around as I perceive myself to be. Anyway, it felt good, so I wanted to share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:52 AM
SAS Member

That's great to hear
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:52 AM
SAS Member

Pada - Read between the lines because I think there could be more to this than you might think...

It could be an IOI - Indicator of Interest. I suggest you reciprocate with a suggestion of meeting up and see how she responds.

"You need to treat yourself with kindness and respect and work to acquire the happiness that is available to you. It's not fair of you to give up on yourself."

Truant

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padanew View Post
As someone with relatively bad social anxiety I find it difficult to talk to people I don't know really well. A few days ago some of the people I sit with in my lectures (we haven't really done much outside of university) asked me to go grab lunch with them - being the over-analytical socially awkward wreck that I am, I assumed that it was just because I was there at the time rather than a genuine desire to spend time with me.

But after we were done eating and everyone was heading their separate ways, I got asked by one of the girls to go shopping with them - I figure anyone else (by which I mean people without SA or similar conditions) would have just been cool with it and gone (or not, on their own perogative). But of course I was thinking "Does she actually want to spend time with me? Really, me?" the whole time - but the fact that she was the one asking me to go to lunch and made a point of stopping me before I went home after getting food to stay and do stuff kind of says otherwise, to me at least.

I dunno, I consider it a much needed confidence boost, and from it I figure that hey, maybe I'm not as socially inept or hard to be around as I perceive myself to be. Anyway, it felt good, so I wanted to share

Yeah, people rarely go to those lengths with someone for no reason. They must find you interesting!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver007 View Post
Pada - Read between the lines because I think there could be more to this than you might think...

It could be an IOI - Indicator of Interest. I suggest you reciprocate with a suggestion of meeting up and see how she responds.
Heh yeah that might be the case, but as far as I know she's in a happy relationship already and I wouldn't want to come between that - we'll see though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page