Share your experience with treatment for social anxiety - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSlumber View Post
Repeated exposure
(with a healthy dose of some very serious honest discussions with myself)

Some days it feels useless but I just checked my Liebowitz Social Anxiety Score and... it went from 94 to 64. Only a year between the two, I am amazed. I'm really starting to feel the difference.

(There is no stopping the thoughts, or "they" as I call it. Not for me anyway. My mind never slows down enough for meditation and such. The more I try to shut them up the more upset I get which just makes it worse. So basically I just let it run... and let it be proven wrong. I figure, the more "they" get proven wrong, the less they yell. "They" haven't shut up yet but it's not quite as "loud" anymore)
My thoughts never stop either. I have been "meditating" since the summer and instead of stopping my thoughts, I've been shifting them. When a negative thought enters my mind, I shut it out immediately and fight it with positive things and affirmations. It's not always easy, though. Something negative just recently happened to me and I'm fighting the negative thoughts from that as we speak. Listening to uplifting (but not painfully corny) music helps me also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

1) Journaling
Everything good or bad today, all my feelings, emotions goes to my diary on laptop. I wasn't sure if it would help me, but now I feel the need to write to it several times in a day. I also write down ideas about the future, what I want to change about myself, not necessarily to reach that goal immediately but just to make sure not to forget it.

2) Talking to people more
I used to restrict myself to only talk "when necessary". So I talk nothing at all to noone mostly. Now I force myself to write online for people, just to talk a little more than I used to. I get positive feedback mostly, it definately helps

3) Get out of comfort zone more
This one is so hard even when I am convinced it would be beneficial. I force myself not to avoid some friend parties, social interactions, stuff that I fear. I didn't succeed on that one yet, just partialy.

4) Talking to SA people about it
I learned a lot from people who have simmilar life experience as myself. Only they understand me the most. I didn't expect such support from people really.

5) Keep your expectations low and more realistic
I don't expect everything to be "normal" on day one as I start to cope with social anxiety. I feel happy with the progress I made, I know where I have to work at and try to be fair to myself.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM
SAS Member

My "treatment" happened in 2008, it started with me seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist team for clinical depression. I was additionally diagnosed with PTSD and social anxiety disorder, and was given pills to calm my panic attacks. My psychologist did the typical 'talk therapy' thing, and gave very little feedback. Near the end of our sessions he told me that I seemed "all better" but I wasn't, and I let him know that. A few sessions later he suggested that I "turn to Christ for spiritual healing", he gave me a pamphlet about Christianity... I was so offended that I never wanted to see his face again.

At least I learned that PTSD and social anxiety disorder were causing me to become depressed. Knowing this makes it easier for me to prevent that deep, dark, clinical depression that has destroyed my life so many times in the past. Additionally, simply KNOWING that I actually have a social phobia makes it easier for me to accept myself as a human being... Knowing that I'm not alone, and that other people experience this. It makes me feel.... Normal... In a not so normal way.

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
My "treatment" happened in 2008, it started with me seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist team for clinical depression. I was additionally diagnosed with PTSD and social anxiety disorder, and was given pills to calm my panic attacks.... At least I learned that PTSD and social anxiety disorder were causing me to become depressed. Knowing this makes it easier for me to prevent that deep, dark, clinical depression that has destroyed my life so many times in the past. Additionally, simply KNOWING that I actually have a social phobia makes it easier for me to accept myself as a human being... Knowing that I'm not alone, and that other people experience this. It makes me feel.... Normal... In a not so normal way.
I couldn't agree more with you Demeter, just knowing I have SA has been such a leap forward and a path out of the chronic depression that I was diagnosed with a long time ago. I floated in and out of therapy for it, but it never made a dent in the way I was feeling until I was diagnosed with Complex PTSD and SA recently. And viola, there are lots of people like me, books and forums to help, and a light at the end of the tunnel finally.

Re SA - Like you I feel much less different now that I know what I'm up against. It lets me accept myself and to get on with looking at strategies to help (e.g., CBT) rather than wasting time beating myself up for being awkward.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM
SAS Member

I bought an EFT program for socially anxious, it seems to relieve some of the anxiety, but it hasn't cured it. It takes a lot of time to work on past memories, but I need patience and persistence. In my opinion, the main thing to overcome social anxiety is growing your comfort zone day by day, by doing something a little challenging everyday. EFT can help in taking the panic away and supports you a little.
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:03 AM
SAS Member

My dad, school, bullying, school, psychologist, psychotherapy, psychiatrist, PROZAC 20 mg, extroverted boyfriend and his extroverted retard****** friends, experiences, prozac<3.

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Is there some treatment that has helped you triumph over social anxiety?
Share your experience with it!

If the treatment is not currently listed, click the "Suggest a new listing..." link at the bottom of the page to add it. Once you add it you'll be able to add your experience immediately.

Thanks!
I suffered from People Pleasing for a long time starting in childhood trying to earn my Parents praise and then when I became and adult , it continued vying for anyones praise and admiration. I suffered from low self esteem and was crying out , essentially, for the void to be filled.

It wasn't until I was 30, that I gave my complete life to Jesus Christ and started to understand just how valueable I was being made in the Creators image and how I had intrinsic worth . After a few more years time, my life became all about living for him instead of me . Amazing things occur when we put ourselves at #2 status to his #1 rightful place in our lives. Having him as my authority , truth, wisdom, and esteem.....is placed properly and with his power in my life I finally overcame the enslavement of not thinking I was good enough. So, all praise and thanks goes to my King, Jesus.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM
SAS Member

Buy some cool sunglasses for 2 great reasons:
1)Makes you feel confident
2)You can practice making eye contact without revealing your deer in headlight eyes
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM
SAS Member

First I am happy to have come across a community of people who have come here to share their personal experiences with SAD.
I don't think people with SAD always realize the strength they pocess because of how crippling SAD can feel. It is very common to feel alone in the struggle.

Hopefully my strategies can help others, they are also common to other responses here.

A) Connect with yourself: this may include your body and mind. Take up meditation, yoga and exercise. What happens when you are placed into these situations? How do you feel? What do you feel needs work? What needs improvement? Try not to lash out to your negative thoughts and emotions. Watch them pass and go, transform and shift. You will realize they are temporary. Do not grab on to positive or negative emotions or thoughts. Just observe them. What can you learn about what happened? What happens when you let yourself be consumed by a thought/feeling? What happens when attach yourself to positive feelings? You will learn everything is temporary. Attachment and desires cause suffering and are illusions. What you may learn is if you stay still you will realize all you have is right now. You have a choice. I can't explain how much working out has improved my mood and energy. I HIGHLY recommend doing something physical.

B) Create Steps: What can you do to make your life better? What needs improvement? What are some small things you can do right now? Research what SAD is and read/listen to other people success stories or struggles. Learn to be compassionate with yourself. Love yourself. Be patient. Be your own best friend. Do things by yourself that you have fun experiencing. Hug yourself, kiss yourself. Masterbate lol what ever it takes to show self love. You come first. No pun intended. Write in a journal and let everything out. Write to record your process, write to express yourself, write to learn and create goals.. To keep track of things. Read inspirational stories of people who go through other types struggles yet get back up again or keep trying. Let these people motivate you to become a better person. Don't make unrealistic expectations. Good things take time, so be easy on yourself. Be your own cheerleader. It is okay to fail and fall. Just get back up and keep going. Learn from EVERYTHING you do.write motivational quotes on a sticky pad and put them on places where you can go to and remind you of what is important to you journey. Have fun doing the exposure of your great fear by signing up to something you enjoy!

C) Rid Yourself of Negativity: be that thoughts, people, goals, addictions, places, judgement and shame. Be honest with yourself. Write down qualities you want to work on having or striving for. Are they realistic to you? What can you do right now? What jave others done to strive for the same qualities? How can you expose yourself to situations so that you have the opportunity to help them grow and mature? Where do you think is sucking the soul out of you? That you have come to just settle with even though it makes you unhappy? Maybe you can't do anything now to change everything but you can make steps that will allow you to in the future. Surround yourself with positive music, books, heros, inspirational quotes, fun/playful activities, love, travel, expose yourself to your fears, look for positive and healthy relationships. Try to become financially independent, respect yourself. Learn how to stop reacting to negative experiences or people. People who are negative are in great pain. They need help. Wish them the best but do not carry the load if you do not want to. Their actions and words say more about themselves than you. Stay focused on your journey. Watch comedy. Eat your favourite food. Spread love to aomeone in need or randomly.

D) Give Back: help others, listen and give advice. Spread your awareness. Give a helping hand, a hug, a kind word. Appreciate what you got and find beauty. Find beauty in the loss or absence. Find beauty in giving back and loving others. Be kind even when others are not. Make someone laugh, compliment someone, try to smile and give warmth and understanding. Forgive and let go.
Be yourself, be yourself even if you are scared, anxious or sad. Be vulnerable and uncomfortable. Don't feel shame or apologiz for being human! You might actually help others feel less alone in their own struggles this way, you might actually create a positive change... You will attract people who accept you for you. Accept imperfection. Accept others. Give to animals, the environment etc... It does not have to be just people. Embody the person you wish to meet. Appreciate others. Celebrate your successes no matter how small. Set a positive for others. Lift people up.

E) Everyones journey and succeses are different. Don't compare yourself to others. You do not know their life. It is pointless. Focus on yourself. Ask for help if you need it. Do it for you. Talk to people who love and care about you. Call your friends. Expose yourself to uncertainty. You only live once. Make the best out of it. Remember you deserve as much as anyone else. Don't let the opportunity slip by all the time. Be mindful of each moment, decision and choice. You always have a choice. Try it even if you think you won't like it. Give it a shot if you have nothing to lose. You might surprise yourself. Then keep striving to surprise yourself again and again. Don't take life so seriously. Make a fool out of yourself and laugh!
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM
SAS Member

Make a schedule and lists of when you will accomplish them and what you will do/ gain doing it.
Studies show meditation is extremely beneficial, so try your best to at least do 15 minutes of it each day.
Have rest days
Join something and commit to it.
Pamper yourself (very important)
Show gratitude, kindness, appreciation and love to everyone. Don't allow negative seeds invade your thoughts. What you think you become. Practice positivity in all aspectd of your life.
Research and keep looking, listening, feeling.. Use all your senses to gain insight to being a better you.
Be open.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:30 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
- Journaling.
- Self Talk.
- Exercise (Cardio - Strength Training)
- Setting small goals for myself.
- Belly breathing.
- Exposure therapy.
- Going on walks.
- Reading Anxiety Help blogs.