Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Triumphs Over Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Share your experience with treatment for social anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f9/share-your-experience-with-treatment-for-social-anxiety-52450/)

Drew 10-31-2008 04:53 PM

Share your experience with treatment for social anxiety

Is there some treatment that has helped you triumph over social anxiety?
Share your experience with it!

If the treatment is not currently listed, click the "Suggest a new listing..." link at the bottom of the page to add it. Once you add it you'll be able to add your experience immediately.

Thanks!

creativedissent 11-29-2008 11:53 PM

shame-attacking exercises!

VIncymon 04-15-2009 08:56 PM

I battle particular days of frustration with longer gym hours !

IT works !... most times.

ezcurrad 06-15-2009 02:29 PM

talkingto myself alot about diffucult things

allangering 06-24-2009 03:26 AM

I am also agree with your experience.Thanks for sharing that, it was wonderful of you.It helped me a lot.

WhimsicalInWV 01-22-2010 02:36 PM

What works for me

Hi,

It's a mix of things that have helped me over the last 3 months.

*RX- I swore after taking about 6 different kind and only getting worse, I wouldn't try again. But finially I tried Paxil.

*Books- The ones that are helping the most are:The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety; The Feeling Good Handbook; The david burns panic attack book, cant think of it right this second.

*Therapy- finding a great therapist. i had to go through so many to find the right one, but it's SO worth it. Plus i don't pay anything (its through a grant). And i go once a week. CBt helps! And talking all my angers out is so great!

*Self talk

*Journaling- didn't want to do it at first, but now i can't stop!

*Exercise-plus it helps me burn alot of nervous energy

*Massage- usually i use a massage cushion and it feels so good!

*Visual rexlation/Meditation and Mindfulness

That's all for right now
Dawn :)

CCS 02-12-2010 07:52 PM

Breathing slowly in through my nose and out my mouth always calms me a tad. And talking to myself in my head always works too. For some reason I can get myself so fired up that nothing bothers me anymore after I do it most the time.

shy797 03-29-2010 06:59 PM

I've had social anxiety since I can remember, I'm almost 23 now. I took Klonapin, every supplement out there, and anti-depressants on and off for years-which helped a little bit when I was in high school, but the Klonapin started making me more anxious for some reason the past few months (my body was probably getting a tolerance to that horrible drug). I decided to stop taking it about a month ago and have been getting panic attacks and embarrassing blushing episodes multiple times a day, pretty much any time someone would talk to me. I finally found something that works right away...it sounds crazy but what do you guys have to lose, it's free! For me it worked 100 times better than any medication or therapy session, or supplement, mainly because it totally stopped my panic attacks in their tracks. I actually cried the next night after my panic-free day at work, how could something so easy and free cure panic disorder and NO stupid doctors tell us about this!? For the past week I've been doing it pretty much everyday, now when I would normally get a panic attack I still feel the anticipatory anxiety but then NOTHING. It's called EFT, I heard about it years ago but figured it was a bunch of crap since no one really acknowledged it. I hope this helps someone, here is the link for the free manual (I didn't buy any of the DVDs just used the free manual and it worked). It's 100 times better than any medication or therapy session I hope you all try it out, good luck!!

https://www.emofree.com/downloadeftmanual.asp

Jayne311 04-28-2010 03:00 PM

I just tried one of the EFT videos on youtube for anxiety, and I did find it very relaxing. I felt a little tired after I got done, and like my arms and legs were a little heavy, but a few minutes have passed and now everything feels like normal, except I feel less anxious.

To test it, right after I got done watching the video, I checked my email. That always gives me anxiety, and plus I'm waiting for a really important email. I felt a bit better about checking it. Kind of like I was able to realize that even if I got the most horrible email ever, it didn't have to bother me. I was still a little anxious about it, but it wasn't as much as before. I feel like the video got me to relax about it.

Blargh 05-18-2010 10:41 PM

Mindfulness is certainly part of the picture. Two things helped me get out of SA: 1. Realizing that not everyone is part of the same social bloc. Individuals have their own motivations, hopes, and fears. Fearing that everyone is against you is mathematically unlikely at best, destructive paranoia at worst. 2. Your SA keeps you in a reactive state that doesn't allow much critical thinking. If someone talks to you, it's hard to snap out in time. Be mindful. Treat the individual as you would be treated--like an equal. A fellow human being. If you manage that, you're on the road to more proactive thinking and behavior.

DI117 08-12-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blargh (Post 1391184)
Mindfulness is certainly part of the picture. Two things helped me get out of SA: 1. Realizing that not everyone is part of the same social bloc. Individuals have their own motivations, hopes, and fears. Fearing that everyone is against you is mathematically unlikely at best, destructive paranoia at worst. 2. Your SA keeps you in a reactive state that doesn't allow much critical thinking. If someone talks to you, it's hard to snap out in time. Be mindful. Treat the individual as you would be treated--like an equal. A fellow human being. If you manage that, you're on the road to more proactive thinking and behavior.

This

The biggest step I took to getting through my anxiety was realizing that I am in control of my thought process. You have to push yourself to realize that you are in control of every thought, remind yourself that YOU are in control and not the anxiety. Think of the anxiety as a metaphysical layer over your brain, it's not human, it can't actually do any harm to you, so why bother being scared? Once you put it in to scale, it becomes more of a pet peeve then a dominating force of your life.

Monday 08-27-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blargh (Post 1391184)

I think Mindfulness is such a good tool for people with SA. I recommend Zen and the art of happiness. Or even Zen for dummies.;) Since Mindfulness, and Mediation, teach about the monkey mind..that part of us that's always yapping, and in our case telling us what we are doing wrong, judging ourselves..Mindfulness and meditation, teaches how to turn off the inner voices. To just be in the moment. To accept what is. You might not like it but you can at lest accept it and that brings it's own peace. Acceptance has been the key for me. The more I accept myself warts and all, the more I feel , confident.
Being that I have OCD it has been hard to trying to learn to Mediate but at the same time, it has helped me to at start to learn how to turn off the obsessive thinking.

eccentricpeter 09-30-2010 04:19 AM

my experience with treatment for social anxiety is a dumb counsellor who doens't give me meds when I clearly need them.

Ruthless78 11-25-2010 04:02 PM

Hey guys :).
I'm new here, but not new to blushing and social anxiety! Found the forum and wanted to tell you about my success with EFT. I've had my blushing problem for about 20yrs I'd say, and i've tried prozac but thankfully i'm off it and honestly wouldn't touch Big Pharma with a barge pole these days. The 'side' effects are horrendous, including making anxiety worse! Thanks Big Pharma.. I'm happy to see others are trying EFT. It really is amazing and there is so much in the way of free video on you tube, and also the free manual from the emofree website, that you really don't have to see an EFT therapist and part with cash. I'm broke so that's not an option for me lol.
I recommend a guy called Brad Yates on you tube ('eftwizard' is his channel). Loads of vids from him. Today at university, there were a number of situations that would normally have caused me to panic and blush furiously, but NOTHING happened!!! I really recommend trying it out. As i say, it is free so there is nothing to lose, apart from your time tapping along with a few videos. This one is a good starter i think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQvp...eature=related

There are lots of other people making EFT vids, but this guy is really good. Bear in mind that you can make up your own scripts specific to how you feel etc and thinking about situations that cause blushing while tapping really seems to clear the fear. It helps to be as specific as possible, so persevere for a while. However you might not need to, as being vague and feeling shame, fear, panic etc still is very effective i've found. EFT rocks!!!!!

walkerbonbon 12-14-2010 03:34 PM

I set little goals for myself and tackle them one by one. For example, I couldn't make eye contact during conversations for a long time. So I set a goal to be able to learn to make eye contact. I did it in manageable steps, like first making eye contact with strangers while shopping or while walking the dog.

Then I learned to make eye contact by looking near the person's eyes, but really on brigge of the nose. I did this till I felt comfortable.
then I worked myself up to maintaining real eye contact breifly.
I also watched reality TV shows and documentaries (not movies with actors) to observe how people make eye contact in real life. It's a lot less than I thought.

So that's how i was able to teach myself to make eye contact.

I did similar things with conversation, speaking in front of a group, and making small talk. Breaking up each thing into small, manageable, Do-able tasks.

And I may have setbacks occasionally but I just get back in there and keep at it.

Good luck to all!

mischa nieves 01-04-2011 07:27 AM

I've found that EFT works very well.

Also positive affirmations. Flooding my mind with positive thoughts helps drown the negative ones.

Relaxation techniques.

Learning to listen to what you tell yourself. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. We are constantly critical of everything we do, constantly putting ourselves down. I started writing down the things I said to myself, boy was I emotionally bashing myself. Then I worked at replacing those thoughts.

'Become your own best friend'. I read that somewhere and it's true. Sometimes we think we'll feel better if we know that everyone likes us, but in reality it's our own self love that we are truly in need of.

Colhad75 02-09-2011 06:32 AM

The Law of Attraction and the book "The Secret". The first thing it did was help me to change my thinking thus enabling me to overcome depression and anxiety to a large degree.

We all have the ability to change our mind from negative to positive. Depression, Social Anxiety and such are thoughts that you choose to have. The thing to realise is that you can change your mind to say you're positive, happy and can smile. Just by deciding to think that way goes along way to helping to overcome depression.

The ability to chose how you think belongs to you.

AlekParker 02-16-2011 01:01 PM

CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy. There are many people who have overcome or controlled Social anxiety with CBT and CBT is a proven method with a plethora of scientific studies that have proved that it will work. (given that you put the time and effort to do it)

A lot of what is talked about above by other forum members, like countering negative thoughts, self talk, positivity, relaxation techniques, affirmations, mindfulness even meditation are all related to COGNITIVE Therapy. Cognition is the 'process of thought' in our mind. We can change this towards the better with all these techniques combined.

Where Exposure, or puting yourself in gradual social situations starting with small goals and working your way towards larger is related to BEHAVIORAL Therapy.

Combined, these are the fundamentals of Cognitive-Behavioral therapy. We need to relate our thoughts and feelings with the actions or behaviors that we take, both gradually and progressively. We can't merely sit around and try to 'feel good' we have to eventually add behavioral therapy to our cognitive therapy and combine them.

Dr Richard's Tapes, Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) and 'The Work' are examples of/ or use CBT techniques within them.

We have an active group that meets 3 times a week where we practice all these methods to overcoming social anxiety. Iff you'd like to join:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...group-therapy/

RenegadeReloaded 03-15-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colhad75 (Post 1782372)
The Law of Attraction and the book "The Secret". The first thing it did was help me to change my thinking thus enabling me to overcome depression and anxiety to a large degree.

We all have the ability to change our mind from negative to positive. Depression, Social Anxiety and such are thoughts that you choose to have. The thing to realise is that you can change your mind to say you're positive, happy and can smile. Just by deciding to think that way goes along way to helping to overcome depression.

The ability to chose how you think belongs to you.

Hi I've watched the movie callled ''the secret'' and it was about law of attraction too. Except i didn't found any tools to help me change the way I see things.

Is the book more detailed ? Or is it even about the same thing ? I want to try it again, this time reading.

laessence 10-19-2011 12:00 PM

There are self-help books that have helped me. Also facing a fear everyday helps tremendously.