Post Here Whenever You Take A Positive Step - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Today I learnt how to use a semi colon! Hopefully it will improve my job applications.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
What if I went out of my comfort zone and it was a negative experience?

Sorry for my English.
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
Today I learnt how to use a semi colon! Hopefully it will improve my job applications.
Can you teach me?

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
Verily; for it is neat.

AIIOW3VERYT_8Nų5H47EE
the demon is the healer
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM
nothing

i called back the dentist and set up an appointment
Posted via Mobile Device
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
🐞 Moderator 🐞

I said something in public for the first time in nine years (very quietly, to my dad). I was supposed to say more today, but I had nothing to say. Iím used to not talking in public after how long it has been, so itís going to be weird for me.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I said something in public for the first time in nine years (very quietly, to my dad). I was supposed to say more today, but I had nothing to say. Iím used to not talking in public after how long it has been, so itís going to be weird for me.
Jee, that's fantastic. What did it feel like? Do you think you'll be able to start saying a bit more?
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
🐞 Moderator 🐞

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Jee, that's fantastic. What did it feel like? Do you think you'll be able to start saying a bit more?
Thanks. It wasnít as scary as I thought, but I still made sure no one else could hear me. Iím sure it will get easier if I keep trying, and Iíll try again tomorrow.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:44 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Thanks. It wasnít as scary as I thought, but I still made sure no one else could hear me. Iím sure it will get easier if I keep trying, and Iíll try again tomorrow.
That's great. Would be strange after not doing it for so long I guess.

I think that's a huge positive step.
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
🐞 Moderator 🐞

Quote:
That's great. Would be strange after not doing it for so long I guess.

I think that's a huge positive step.
I used to try to hide under tables if I thought I had to talk to someone, and if I thought anyone had accidentally heard me, I couldnít relax for a few hours. It will be nice to be able to talk to my family in public again. Itís embarrassing having to nod or shake my head all the time. My family want me to talk to people in the supermarket if they say anything to me. When Iím ready, Iíll go into a shop by myself.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:00 AM
bipolar

Quote:
I used to try to hide under tables if I thought I had to talk to someone, and if I thought anyone had accidentally heard me, I couldnít relax for a few hours. It will be nice to be able to talk to my family in public again. Itís embarrassing having to nod or shake my head all the time. My family want me to talk to people in the supermarket if they say anything to me. When Iím ready, Iíll go into a shop by myself.
That will be a big one - but I guess the thing to do is to work up to it so it won't everwhelm you.

I find that condition (selective mutism) very interesting for some reason, like I told you before. I don't think I ever knew it was actually associated with anxiety. I don't know what I thought caused it though - which is probably a bit odd.

The daughter of one of my wife's friends had it as a young girl - but we aren't really in touch with them much anymore so I don't know if she still has it.
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
🐞 Moderator 🐞

Quote:
That will be a big one - but I guess the thing to do is to work up to it so it won't everwhelm you.

I find that condition (selective mutism) very interesting for some reason, like I told you before. I don't think I ever knew it was actually associated with anxiety. I don't know what I thought caused it though - which is probably a bit odd.

The daughter of one of my wife's friends had it as a young girl - but we aren't really in touch with them much anymore so I don't know if she still has it.
If I’m not buying anything, I can go into shops by myself, but if anyone talks to me, I can’t answer them. I think if it was something like “Yes” or “No,” I would be okay if I tried now because I’ve noticed that when I picture it, I’m less scared about talking to strangers than I would be of talking to my family in public. The strangers don’t know I can’t talk, so they can’t make a big deal out of it like I always worried my family would. That’s what my family have been telling me, too.

You get so used to not talking that your voice automatically switches off in certain places or if someone else is in the house, even when you’re not feeling anxious. If you try to talk, it’s very quiet/too fast if you can manage to get your voice to work (it freezes).

A lot of people I’ve heard about who have Selective Mutism always thought they were the only one who had it, and when it feels like that, it makes you feel weird and like everyone else is better than you just because they can talk and you can’t. It’s nice to know there are others. It’s supposed to be much more common than people think, and it seems true.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 AM
bipolar

Quote:
If Iím not buying anything, I can go into shops by myself, but if anyone talks to me, I canít answer them. I think if it was something like ďYesĒ or ďNo,Ē I would be okay if I tried now because Iíve noticed that when I picture it, Iím less scared about talking to strangers than I would be of talking to my family in public. The strangers donít know I canít talk, so they canít make a big deal out of it like I always worried my family would. Thatís what my family have been telling me, too.

You get so used to not talking that your voice automatically switches off in certain places or if someone else is in the house, even when youíre not feeling anxious. If you try to talk, itís very quiet/too fast if you can manage to get your voice to work (it freezes).

A lot of people Iíve heard about who have Selective Mutism always thought they were the only one who had it, and when it feels like that, it makes you feel weird and like everyone else is better than you just because they can talk and you canít. Itís nice to know there are others. Itís supposed to be much more common than people think, and it seems true.
I'm sure there must be a lot of people that have it.

I think the closest I've come to it before was when I used to go to quite a lot of meetups for this meetup group. It was for anxiety/depression and I sort of hosted a fair few. One girl was so quiet she would just sit opposite me and look down at her lap. She did answer when I asked her something though, but very quietly. She was a really nice girl - a lot of the people were nice at that meetup.

Sometimes I think I'd like to start a new one - because the one that's going now I don't particularly like the organiser.
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:06 PM
SAS Member

For so many years, I have never be able to find any motivation or good reason to get better and fight my demons. Yes, I wasnít happy with things but I always managed to make excuses and continue in the status quo. Finally, after so much wasted time..I am ready. I have finally found the reason (want to move to a different city!) to get better. Going to take time and I have just begun therapy, but I feel some hope for the first time in a very long time.
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine79 View Post
For so many years, I have never be able to find any motivation or good reason to get better and fight my demons. Yes, I wasnít happy with things but I always managed to make excuses and continue in the status quo. Finally, after so much wasted time..I am ready. I have finally found the reason (want to move to a different city!) to get better. Going to take time and I have just begun therapy, but I feel some hope for the first time in a very long time.
Good luck.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
must feel good to finally have a breakthrough.
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea111red View Post
must feel good to finally have a breakthrough.
Yes! Long way to go yet and probably going to rough but I now have a goal I want to reach. It was a major change at my job back in October plus some other things that made my already bad state of mind much worse. As bad as things were, that was the catalyst to me getting help and starting back to the right track.
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Yes! Long way to go yet and probably going to rough but I now have a goal I want to reach. It was a major change at my job back in October plus some other things that made my already bad state of mind much worse. As bad as things were, that was the catalyst to me getting help and starting back to the right track.
good...good. hope you reach your goals!
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:05 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
Signed up as an electric scooter charger... Haven't made money in 2 years.
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
Called the vet today. Made multiple drafts of what to say, then made the call. Damn, I'm on a roll.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page