new here and a survivor - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Happy

new here and a survivor

started panic attacks at age 23 remember the day vividly, I was a normal parting animal and very socially active before that day then it all changed. I survived on my own fighting it daily for about 10 years with no medical support or medications. It contributed to a failed marriage at that point I sought out help and after several different appointments with my doctor I was finally set up with a very good phycologist who informed me I was not going crazy, I had a chemical imbalance in the old brain. I went on Paxil and have taken it for over 20 years. I am now coming off of it. Just wanted to put this out there for anyone who is going through this. You can and will survive and have a very fulfilling life. I describe it as having a part of my brain asleep for 20+ years and now I am waking it up. The new adventure is just starting I'll let you know how it turns out. I am no doctor or expert but I was embarrassed to seek help for a very long time so I had a lot of experience on dealing with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Formerly "The Quicktion"

My Mood: Mellow
Wait, so was taking the Paxil a good choice or bad choice in your case?

"If you expect nothing from anybody, you're never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

"I've started to focus on a bigger game. The sound the wind makes through the pines; the sentience of animals; what we fear in the dark and what lies beyond the darkness. I'm talking about seeing beyond fear, about looking at the world with love." - Dale Cooper
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulnicura View Post
Wait, so was taking the Paxil a good choice or bad choice in your case?
Paxil was a success for me and being able to live an active life but it does have its consequences.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Thanks for sharing. I've had panic since 18. I'm 33 now. I started getting them again as well as severe anxiety from going off lovely Nardil. One was so severe I ended up at the ER. I felt nutty many times but never went insane. Social support, finding a purpose in life and helping others is keeping me sane. I can't take anything right now besides Ativan. I've become incredibly sensitive to all meds! What did Nardil do to me?

I took Paxil in 11th grade for social anxiety for about 2 weeks. Came off cold turkey due to panic attacks (never had them before). Just learned that paxil is not approved for ppl under 18. Lovely. Doc should have sent me to therapy instead of giving me pills. Stupid doctors.

Dx: Panic Disorder, GAD

Rx: Lorazepam prn, Lyrica prn

Past Rx: Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Luvox, Effexor XR, Cymbalta, Buspar, Gabapentin, Nardil, Remeron, Seroquel
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Li View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've had panic since 18. I'm 33 now. I started getting them again as well as severe anxiety from going off lovely Nardil. One was so severe I ended up at the ER. I felt nutty many times but never went insane. Social support, finding a purpose in life and helping others is keeping me sane. I can't take anything right now besides Ativan. I've become incredibly sensitive to all meds! What did Nardil do to me?

I took Paxil in 11th grade for social anxiety for about 2 weeks. Came off cold turkey due to panic attacks (never had them before). Just learned that paxil is not approved for ppl under 18. Lovely. Doc should have sent me to therapy instead of giving me pills. Stupid doctors.
How long were u taking nardil?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealive View Post
Paxil was a success for me and being able to live an active life but it does have its consequences.
That's a long time wow. What were the consequences?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page