My very small victories since 2011 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My very small victories since 2011

I once read somewhere that one of the best therapeutic things you can do, especially if you're a child, is to list the things you're thankful for and acknowledge the things that you've accomplished no matter how small or trivial it may seem.

I just read my very first post on this forum. It was in 2011, the beginning of my senior year in high school, and I was questioning whether I had extreme shyness or social anxieties. The year before that, I almost dropped out because my anxieties became too unbearable despite earning As and Bs in school.

I took a long hiatus from this forum, returned once to talk about my anxieties about my high school graduation ceremony.

I took another long hiatus until I hit college where I struggled a lot. That's when I spent a lot more time here. It was in 2013.

During this time in 2013, I had a mental breakdown simply because I would have to take the bus myself to school. While it was far away, it would have only taken one bus trip to college and yet I was so fearful that I cried for days. I ultimately never took the bus and transferred to another university.

I didn't get my driver's license until I was in 2015. I was 21. I got the permits on my first try, and passed the test on my first try! So proud. I haven't driven since, but at least I have my ID and I can pick up driving when I absolutely need it in the future.

In 2017, I had to take a last minute CLEP exam to get one last credit and scored a 63 (56 to pass), got the credit, and graduated college. I officially graduated December 2017. Wish I had tried the CLEP exams earlier to save time and money (tip to all of you current high schoolers and college students!).

I finally took the bus for the first time in May 2018. I got lost, but I made it home. And now I have that experience under my belt. I got my bus card this month.

I didn't get a job until just last week at 24. Although I'm struggling a lot with anxieties, and I'm only currently in training, and I honestly don't know what the future holds for me at this place, at least I did well at the interview and was offered the job over others who were interviewed.

Many of these things don't seem like a big deal. In fact, many high schoolers may have already accomplished these things (driver's license, first job, taking the bus).

But I'm still thankful. I've gone through it and I survived it and now I'm going to survive my current situation and my next chapter even if there will be a lot of struggles. I'm still scared, and I'm probably going to lose sleep tonight thinking about work tomorrow, but at least I'm experiencing it now.

My ultimate (realistic) goal is to be healthier, go back to being a vegan for ethical reasons, buy a car and drive, improve credit score, buy a home, take care of my mom, and work for myself as an artist and graphic/web designer.

I hope I can make another post in the years to come to tell you about accomplishing those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by misski View Post
I once read somewhere that one of the best therapeutic things you can do, especially if you're a child, is to list the things you're thankful for and acknowledge the things that you've accomplished no matter how small or trivial it may seem.

I just read my very first post on this forum. It was in 2011, the beginning of my senior year in high school, and I was questioning whether I had extreme shyness or social anxieties. The year before that, I almost dropped out because my anxieties became too unbearable despite earning As and Bs in school.

I took a long hiatus from this forum, returned once to talk about my anxieties about my high school graduation ceremony.

I took another long hiatus until I hit college where I struggled a lot. That's when I spent a lot more time here. It was in 2013.

During this time in 2013, I had a mental breakdown simply because I would have to take the bus myself to school. While it was far away, it would have only taken one bus trip to college and yet I was so fearful that I cried for days. I ultimately never took the bus and transferred to another university.

I didn't get my driver's license until I was in 2015. I was 21. I got the permits on my first try, and passed the test on my first try! So proud. I haven't driven since, but at least I have my ID and I can pick up driving when I absolutely need it in the future.

In 2017, I had to take a last minute CLEP exam to get one last credit and scored a 63 (56 to pass), got the credit, and graduated college. I officially graduated December 2017. Wish I had tried the CLEP exams earlier to save time and money (tip to all of you current high schoolers and college students!).

I finally took the bus for the first time in May 2018. I got lost, but I made it home. And now I have that experience under my belt. I got my bus card this month.

I didn't get a job until just last week at 24. Although I'm struggling a lot with anxieties, and I'm only currently in training, and I honestly don't know what the future holds for me at this place, at least I did well at the interview and was offered the job over others who were interviewed.

Many of these things don't seem like a big deal. In fact, many high schoolers may have already accomplished these things (driver's license, first job, taking the bus).

But I'm still thankful. I've gone through it and I survived it and now I'm going to survive my current situation and my next chapter even if there will be a lot of struggles. I'm still scared, and I'm probably going to lose sleep tonight thinking about work tomorrow, but at least I'm experiencing it now.

My ultimate (realistic) goal is to be healthier, go back to being a vegan for ethical reasons, buy a car and drive, improve credit score, buy a home, take care of my mom, and work for myself as an artist and graphic/web designer.

I hope I can make another post in the years to come to tell you about accomplishing those things.
Well those are some great accomplishments - you should feel proud of yourself.

That's pretty good you got your licence first time like that. My son took 3 goes to get his - although I think the ladies were a bit tough at the place he went to for the first 2 times. At the 3rd place he got it no problem. I was pretty worried about that - it's much easier when you can just drive yourself around, gives you a lot more independence.

Are you the young lady that just got a job in a library? I used to work in libraries too - but a fair while ago. I worked in all sorts - public ones, plus College and University ones as well. My ex-wife is still a librarian too at a big Uni here - she's a lot higher up than I ever was though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Well those are some great accomplishments - you should feel proud of yourself.
Thank you!

Quote:
That's pretty good you got your licence first time like that. My son took 3 goes to get his - although I think the ladies were a bit tough at the place he went to for the first 2 times. At the 3rd place he got it no problem. I was pretty worried about that - it's much easier when you can just drive yourself around, gives you a lot more independence.
Yes, not driving has inhibited me from many opportunities. I hope to purchase a car in 2019 and start driving regularly.

Quote:
Are you the young lady that just got a job in a library? I used to work in libraries too - but a fair while ago. I worked in all sorts - public ones, plus College and University ones as well. My ex-wife is still a librarian too at a big Uni here - she's a lot higher up than I ever was though.
Yes, exactly right. I can't lie and say it's all peaches and creams right now. It's quite stressful for someone who has never worked, has severe social anxieties, and now have to work what is essentially a customer service job.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Yes, exactly right. I can't lie and say it's all peaches and creams right now. It's quite stressful for someone who has never worked, has severe social anxieties, and now have to work what is essentially a customer service job.
Yeah, it is basically a customer service job isn't it. My wife actually has to take a lot of classes for her job because she's a laison librarian for a University. She has to speak at conferences and things sometimes too. I used to have to do tours etc at one of my jobs - I always found that very difficult.

People think working in libraries would be good for people like us but it sort of depends what you're doing. I hope it all goes well for you though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Yeah, it is basically a customer service job isn't it. My wife actually has to take a lot of classes for her job because she's a laison librarian for a University. She has to speak at conferences and things sometimes too. I used to have to do tours etc at one of my jobs - I always found that very difficult.

People think working in libraries would be good for people like us but it sort of depends what you're doing. I hope it all goes well for you though.
Just my luck, I applied to another branch that actually is good for people like us where they stand behind the counter and shelve books all day. I was told that it was a "boring" job, but I love boring! That job was filled, and I was suggested to go to this branch where it is more customer oriented. And here I am.

I hope it does go well, though. Thank you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Just my luck, I applied to another branch that actually is good for people like us where they stand behind the counter and shelve books all day. I was told that it was a "boring" job, but I love boring! That job was filled, and I was suggested to go to this branch where it is more customer oriented. And here I am.

I hope it does go well, though. Thank you!
Just to let you know - although you might already have heard of it, there are other aspects of library work like cataloguing and acquisitions. I did that for a while a long time ago. It's really an office type situation - no customer service at all there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Just to let you know - although you might already have heard of it, there are other aspects of library work like cataloguing and acquisitions. I did that for a while a long time ago. It's really an office type situation - no customer service at all there.
I'm sorry it took a while for me to see your post! I come here every now and then because lingering too long makes me dwell too much on my anxieties, which doesn't feel 100% great.

Thanks for letting me know! Part of my job when there are no patrons in sight and when there are people in the front who can cover is shelving the books (obviously). I love it! The only issue is the shelves are very close to patrons and it's awkward to bend down near them. Also, sometimes bending down too long can be draining.

But sometimes shelving even three books can take 20 minutes, especially in the juvenile section because they are always out of order. So you spend a long time shelving every book and it's the best thing ever. My coworkers seem to love being in the front helping patrons, which is a wonder, but if I only have to deal with looking for books, shelvings books, and organizing them all day no matter how exhausting it is, I would.

Cataloging and acquisitions... I have to look into that!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:27 PM
bipolar

Quote:
I'm sorry it took a while for me to see your post! I come here every now and then because lingering too long makes me dwell too much on my anxieties, which doesn't feel 100% great.

Thanks for letting me know! Part of my job when there are no patrons in sight and when there are people in the front who can cover is shelving the books (obviously). I love it! The only issue is the shelves are very close to patrons and it's awkward to bend down near them. Also, sometimes bending down too long can be draining.

But sometimes shelving even three books can take 20 minutes, especially in the juvenile section because they are always out of order. So you spend a long time shelving every book and it's the best thing ever. My coworkers seem to love being in the front helping patrons, which is a wonder, but if I only have to deal with looking for books, shelvings books, and organizing them all day no matter how exhausting it is, I would.

Cataloging and acquisitions... I have to look into that!
Hi again - hope things are going okay for you there.

Well if you like shelving you'll probably always have something to do in the library that's for sure - and you'll probably be quite popular because a lot of other people wouldn't want to do it.

Yeah - that other side of library work is important, and things like acquisitions and cataloguing often take place in a back room or section away from the rest of the library. Sometimes you might still have to do a shift on the loans desk as well but it will depend on the library and how big it is etc. Something to look into anyway.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page