Mind Reading - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Mind Reading

I was talking to my cognitive therapist for the first time the other day and one of the things he mentioned was that we'd look at things people do which they shouldn't or something (can't remember the exact wording) and one of them was "mind reading". This isn't the professor xavier type of mind reading but the kind where you trying to read someone's mind all the time in case they think you're stupid or an idiod or their laughing at you, which is what happens with SA. You think that people are laughing at you all the time and you're affraid of rejection.

Strait away and without any training I decided that this was true of me and now when I talk to someone I just look at them, and what they've got to say and then say something back. There's no need to mind read, just watch them, don't intensely analyse what their doing all the time, just listen to them. That's what I'm doing now and I feel totally different, maybe this is already a turning point. Think about it.

"When's the competition? Tomorrow (says the student). You're not ready. Like all the others, you want to find the way to win without accepting the way to loose. To die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes, free your ambitious mind and practice the art of dying." Bruce Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Bon
Walking in the light

Exactly!

I've done, (and do) at times.......If someone has an "off" look on their face when they're talking to me, I used to think, they weren't happy with me........It could be anything, when, in actuality, they were thinking about what I was saying, or something else all together. We can be our own worst enemies!;-)

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realspark
Exactly!
It could be anything, when, in actuality, they were thinking about what I was saying, or something else all together. We can be our own worst enemies!;-)
They WERE talking about you? I actually meant that they weren't talking about you and that you were just kind of analysing them intensely, almost to get a rejection out of them.

But I know that situation as well, where you see a bunch of people and you think they're talking about you, it's probably irrational, and even if it isn't why do you care what they think? You can't do anyting about it so you may as well not feel bad, you haven't done anything wrong.

"When's the competition? Tomorrow (says the student). You're not ready. Like all the others, you want to find the way to win without accepting the way to loose. To die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes, free your ambitious mind and practice the art of dying." Bruce Lee

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 10:24 PM

I think as SAer's we have a tendancy to over analyze body language to much, which leads us to believe people are thinking of us in negative ways. I know I have done that way to many times in the past. I try not to do that anymore and just listen to them instead.

I am glad that you have reached a turning point and wish you continued success.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page