Made some friends at college - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Lord of Spuds

My Mood: Asleep

Made some friends at college

Prior to college I basically had no friends in school for about 4 years, due to a mix of anxiety and feeling like I didn't need them. I was a mute in class and avoided every type of social interaction. The usual things applied: absolutely terrified of group assignments, having anxiety attacks prior to presentations, dying inside when entering rooms when everyone's already seated, etc.
I got into a depression (that's still lasting) and had some bad moments yet I didn't (don't) want to see a therapist or let my mother know about any of this.
It had been tough but I managed to get a diploma in the end and get into college.

During the holidays prior to college I found out about this community and figured that college is a great opportunity to face my anxiety issues and to finally make some friends and talk more, since it's a fresh start.

So I did. Anxiety was very present but I forced myself to let my voice be heard during group assignments and talk to people next to me about their interests. I formed a group with two friends I made and we do practically everything together in college - sitting in class, doing assignments, eating, leaving, etc.
Atm we only talk when in college which makes it a bit hard to see them as 'real' friends but that might change with time.

It's probably not that huge of a thing for others but considering I haven't had any people to hang out with in school for many years it feels like a big improvement.

Unfortunately I do still have a bunch of other anxiety issues but at least this gave me a bit more of a positive mindset.

~♧
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Well done! You should be proud of yourself for pulling that off, even if you don't hang out with them outside the college grounds, it sure is a great start. I'm in the same boat. I'm a freshman at university and I hadn't talked to people outside my family for like six years... I was so nervous about moving out of my house in a city I knew no one, plus the fact that I would have to speak with other human beings to get various things done.
I found this community by accident and to be honest it was exactly what I needed.
With the help of this community I realized that going to university meant that I had the chance for a fresh start. It's been approximately a week since classes started and in this short time I have accomplished to initiate an awkward smalltalk with some colleagues that apparently got me into new experiences. I hanged out with them outside the university grounds and I even went to the cinema with them the day after. The best part is that we have many things in common. I wouldn't have met them if I didn't take the first step and talk to them, because even though it was awkward it paid of. I know that probably by the end of the first semester, I won't be hanging out with all of them or even any of them, but I'm willing to try and take steps away this crippling anxiety. I wish the best for you! Cheer up!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:15 PM
SAS Member

Well done!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 04:48 PM
SAS Member

Just remember to maintain that friendship. I knew roughly 10 people while I was still in college. I knew them well enough to hang out with them outside of school sometimes. Then when I left college I lost all contact with all of them. I haven't spoken to any of them since I left 5 years ago.

ayy lmao
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Congrats bro

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page