Learned how to read a clock - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Learned how to read a clock

This is ridiculous but for me its a bit of a triumph.

Im 29 and just this week I learned how to read a 12 hour clock.

When I was a kid and in school we were being taught how to tell the time, the teacher was very critical and would go crazy over any little mistake and make us all feel really stupid - she hated kids and shouldnt have been a teacher.
Whatever way she taught us how to read the clock it didnt make sense to me, she had no patience so im sure this was a factor.

To add to this my mother was very critical, any little mistake I made was made into a big deal and she would constantly call me stupid. When she tried teaching me how to tell time and I didnt get it straight away she would get very angry. Both of my parents would call me a duns and once made me a paper hat with a big D written on it, my mother told me every day that I was going to end up in the special needs school where she worked because I was so stupid, she would be so ashamed that she'll have to leave her job so she'll have to sell the house because she wont be able to afford the mortgage and I will have ruined her life because of my stupidity - I excelled in English and all my other subjects, I just didn't like math so for this I was severely punished.
My parents would put me on the spot and ask me math questions knowing it made me nervous, they would then make fun of me when I didnt get the answer straight away, tell me I was stupid, no good, and should be in special needs.

The criticism must have really effected me as my whole life I avoided clocks and anything to do with maths, I had a fear of numbers. Any time I looked at a 12 hour clock it would bring back feelings of inadequacy and I would feel stupid so I never attempted to learn how to tell time. I could work out addition, subtraction, multiplication and percentages in my head with accuracy but if someone asked me a maths question I would freeze and avoid the question.

Im now a teacher, im trained to teach Art and English to second second level teenagers and adult education.
Last week I was offered a subbing position in a Primary kid school as theyre desperately in need of teachers, I took it and on the first day I was told I have to teach the kids how to tell the time. I had a gut reaction to this and was filled with anxiety, I was convinced I was going to look stupid and everyone will see what an idiot I am but I had no choice but to teach the class.

I had a little bit time to prepare before the class started so I had to look at a clock and teach myself how to tell time but in under 20 seconds I was able to read the clock with no problems. I can tell time, all these years I avoided clocks and thought I couldn't read them and thought that im too stupid.. when in fact I always could.
I also had to teach weight which I easily explained to the class, unaware that I had known how to do this my whole life and never realised how easy it actually all is.

I know how stupid this sounds - I sound so stupid but I think its kind of interesting and shows the effects that criticism can have on some people and makes me wonder what else im capable of that ive always believed I couldnt do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Hey that is still a huge accomplishment congrats .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Permanently Banned

there's always time
for a joke

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Dead
I feel you OP. I couldn't read time on clocks at all until I was around 12/13 and I may still have a bit of a hard time with it occasionally. My uncle still laughs at me about it and likes to "quiz" me by asking me to read the clock. It made me kind of avoid actual clocks, as well since I'm always relying on the digital time.

There's other things that I couldn't figure out how to do until a later age that are embarrassing to admit, such as tying my shoes and recognizing coins. (Well, I still have a problem with the coin part. It makes me very anxious that I'll have to do it, as part of a retail or fast food job when I don't even tell apart a dime from a quarter..) I've struggled with unlocking doors, not knowing from which side to insert a key and my brother and mother have called me a retard because of it.

There's other common sense things I have had a difficult time learning, even though I've been called smart in school. I wouldn't know if it's some sort of learning disability, since I've never gotten it checked but I have always kind of suspected something.

Although I avoided learning to tell time afterwards, partially because of SA and feeling stupid which seems to be where your issue has stemmed from. The great thing is we live in the age of the internet so you can feel free to look up videos on Youtube or online guides such as WikiHow for telling time and practice with them! Good luck and I hope all goes well.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 AM
SAS Member

This genuinely made me feel happy.
Congrats OP.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:24 AM
SAS Member

Damn. Some things just seem so impossibly complicated until they aren’t. I think some people’s minds subconsciously avoid these things that seem impossibly complicated because of their intimidation factor and it causes our conscious minds to think that they can’t be done. Then when we finally do these things or figure them out of achieve them etc they’re surprisingly simple and accomplishable. I have problems with stuff like this all the time. Good for u OP.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Russian, German
My Mood: Blah
@Luzali , congratulations! This is really great when you find out that you actually can do something that you were afraid of for so long. Happy for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I had a mother that was judgemental as well. Poked and laughed the things I did when I was young in a teasing way. Because she was authority figure I could fight back or else...
I guess I am bitter about this with my mom, and I make fun of her constantly in a patronizing way with technology... I think I should stop...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
That's great

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
-Joseph M. Scriven
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:35 PM
-

Sounds like dyscalculia. I've suspected that I may have it even though I was never properly diagnosed. Maths has been my worst subject even to this day and there were times I would be on the verge of tears due to the reminder (like you, due to shame and ridicule, but it was mostly by teachers...)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzali View Post
This is ridiculous but for me its a bit of a triumph.

Im 29 and just this week I learned how to read a 12 hour clock.

When I was a kid and in school we were being taught how to tell the time, the teacher was very critical and would go crazy over any little mistake and make us all feel really stupid - she hated kids and shouldnt have been a teacher.

Whatever way she taught us how to read the clock it didnt make sense to me, she had no patience so im sure this was a factor.

To add to this my mother was very critical, any little mistake I made was made into a big deal and she would constantly call me stupid. When she tried teaching me how to tell time and I didnt get it straight away she would get very angry. Both of my parents would call me a duns and once made me a paper hat with a big D written on it, my mother told me every day that I was going to end up in the special needs school where she worked because I was so stupid, she would be so ashamed that she'll have to leave her job so she'll have to sell the house because she wont be able to afford the mortgage and I will have ruined her life because of my stupidity - I excelled in English and all my other subjects, I just didn't like math so for this I was severely punished.

My parents would put me on the spot and ask me math questions knowing it made me nervous, they would then make fun of me when I didnt get the answer straight away, tell me I was stupid, no good, and should be in special needs.

The criticism must have really effected me as my whole life I avoided clocks and anything to do with maths, I had a fear of numbers. Any time I looked at a 12 hour clock it would bring back feelings of inadequacy and I would feel stupid so I never attempted to learn how to tell time. I could work out addition, subtraction, multiplication and percentages in my head with accuracy but if someone asked me a maths question I would freeze and avoid the question.

Im now a teacher, im trained to teach Art and English to second second level teenagers and adult education.

Last week I was offered a subbing position in a Primary kid school as theyre desperately in need of teachers, I took it and on the first day I was told I have to teach the kids how to tell the time. I had a gut reaction to this and was filled with anxiety, I was convinced I was going to look stupid and everyone will see what an idiot I am but I had no choice but to teach the class.

I had a little bit time to prepare before the class started so I had to look at a clock and teach myself how to tell time but in under 20 seconds I was able to read the clock with no problems. I can tell time, all these years I avoided clocks and thought I couldn't read them and thought that im too stupid.. when in fact I always could.

I also had to teach weight which I easily explained to the class, unaware that I had known how to do this my whole life and never realised how easy it actually all is.

I know how stupid this sounds - I sound so stupid but I think its kind of interesting and shows the effects that criticism can have on some people and makes me wonder what else im capable of that ive always believed I couldnt do.
It's still a fear you faced.

For me, it was the opposite. I got in trouble several times in kindergarten for watching the clock. It was the type that would silent and then only move at every minute. Tick and tock three seconds later to the new minute....just fascinated my five year old mind. Well, I find out years later that that clock will not work by itself. All of the clocks in the school were wired to the one in the main office. The main one would send an impulse of electricity throughout the building to prepare the clocks for the new minute and they would go, shutting down the impulse. Every hour at minute 58....all the clocks would POP....that's the moment the electromagnets would force the clocks to synchronize for the new hour. 1960s technology.

They tore down my school in 2016 and I got to stand in that same classroom one last time....35 years after I left it. The clock was on the wall....stuck at 9:18, the moment the clocks were shut down. They wouldn't let me have the clock even though I talked to guy who repaired them!!!

I ended up buying one off eBay for $20.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page