Joined A Gym! - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDoggy View Post
I just joined the gym too. I don't have much experience using any of the equipment so I'm going to have to do some research and create some beginner routine. My goal is to pack on some weight and muscle. I want to eat cleaner as well.
Congrats! Good luck.

Sucks having a fast metabolism. If I had a slower one I could just spend all day at the gym LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
Yes of course they have barbells
Posted via Mobile Device
I can PM you a copy of Starting Strength if you'd like. It has extremely detailed step-by-step instructions on how to perform all the important lifts. Reading them and watching a few videos will teach you how to do them. Then it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.
post #83 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
I can PM you a copy of Starting Strength if you'd like. It has extremely detailed step-by-step instructions on how to perform all the important lifts. Reading them and watching a few videos will teach you how to do them. Then it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.
That's okay. Maybe if/when I max out on the machines. After all, I am seeing some improvement already.

The world is quiet here.

post #84 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
That's okay. Maybe if/when I max out on the machines. After all, I am seeing some improvement already.
Feel free to PM me whenever and I'll send it to you. Keep in mind it'll take quite a bit of machine work to equal compound lifts. For example the deadlift works traps, lats, forearms, lower back, core, quads and hamstrings. Overhead press works pecs, triceps, front delts, mid delts, rear delts and core. You'd have to use a dozen machines to hit what those two exercises hit. If they have Hammer Strength machines at your gym I'd recommend them over any other machines. Use them whenever possible. Also the hack squat machine isn't half bad. Not the cable one, but the one where you load plates on it. If they don't have Hammer Strength stuff then the Smith machine would still be a step up from regular machines for bench or overhead press. Your core and other stabilizing muscles are going to be the weak link in a machine based routine, so that'll eventually be something you want to put some extra effort into to avoid developing major weaknesses.
post #85 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Tired

Language: English
Yeh, if you are going to do this then you need a scale . Keeping body fat down and relying on random doctors visits isn't going to cut it. Scales or google "dreamer bulk".

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #86 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Negativity Triggerer.

I regretted joining mine. I rarely go. I prefer outdoor exercises over using machines and weights inside a cramp area. With my fit but scrawny frame I probably should go more lol.
post #87 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

So today, nearing the end, I felt like throwing up. I went to the locker room to cool down a bit, came back and did another set. Then I left. When I got home I threw up all over (in the part of the sink that doesn't have the disposal). LOL.

Not sure if I'm drinking enough water or not. I rarely see the other gym-goers drinking water; but doesn't drinking a lot of water increase metabolism? IDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogowiff View Post
I regretted joining mine. I rarely go. I prefer outdoor exercises over using machines and weights inside a cramp area. With my fit but scrawny frame I probably should go more lol.
TBH I prefer bike riding, walking outside, shooting baskets (basketball), chin-ups/pullups at the park, kicking a soccer ball around -> but none of those really build muscle/strength; and that's what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
Yeh, if you are going to do this then you need a scale . Keeping body fat down and relying on random doctors visits isn't going to cut it. Scales or google "dreamer bulk".
I'll get a scale; don't worry.

Also, I'm not afraid of gaining any kind of weight, fat or muscle. I've been a ****ing string bean my whole life (no offense to skinny people, I just don't like being so skinny).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Feel free to PM me whenever and I'll send it to you. Keep in mind it'll take quite a bit of machine work to equal compound lifts. For example the deadlift works traps, lats, forearms, lower back, core, quads and hamstrings. Overhead press works pecs, triceps, front delts, mid delts, rear delts and core. You'd have to use a dozen machines to hit what those two exercises hit. If they have Hammer Strength machines at your gym I'd recommend them over any other machines. Use them whenever possible. Also the hack squat machine isn't half bad. Not the cable one, but the one where you load plates on it. If they don't have Hammer Strength stuff then the Smith machine would still be a step up from regular machines for bench or overhead press. Your core and other stabilizing muscles are going to be the weak link in a machine based routine, so that'll eventually be something you want to put some extra effort into to avoid developing major weaknesses.
Yes, I always see people using the funny cable machine where there's so many handles and grips and stuff. The incredibly buff people are either always using that or the free weights.

The world is quiet here.
post #88 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM
SAS Member

well done mate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page