Joined A Gym! - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
LOL Bob. You crack me up.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with gaining fat. ANY weight gain is GOOD weight gain! I don't want to be told I'm a ****ing string bean.

Also, so what you're saying, when your website tells me 'this is your target calories', and I'm already above it just to maintain my current weight, I actually need to eat even above that? Crazy.

Also, can I just drink that muscle milk or whatever it's called. Will that help me too? (I remember in college I'd drink milk like crazy and that fills you up / gains weight on itself)
Quote:
This still isn't clear. What you're telling me is I need to eat above the surplus I have on your website, correct? That's a ****-ton of food.
Nope re fat, reread. Women are attracted more in your age group to lean physiques carrying some muscle, on average (not all of them, obviously, need saying). That means not gaining fat. Fat is your enemy because in order to get the maximum % of women thinking your body is hot in your age range it needs to have a low bodyfat %. As stated, when you lose fat you lose muscle, to some degree, the two are unavoidably linked, you want to gain weight and maximise muscle gain, minimise fat gain and then later on when you need to lose weight and maximise fat gain and minimise muscle gain. These cycles are called "bulking and cutting". You bulk with the minimum fat gain, you cut with the minimum muscle loss.

The fat has to come off at some point given your goal, and since in doing so you lose some muscle, just don't excess fat in the first place.

Re my fitnesspal, I assume you set it to a goal of gaining half a lb a week? That will give you a very rough basic estimate as to what you need to eat. It might be wrong though, so you need to weigh and keep tabs on this, and adjust calories up or down depending on how much weight you have gained. within a few months you will know pretty accurately what you need to eat. It probably won't be far off the MFP estimate though.

Go with the estimate for now if you have set 0.5 lbs per week. Eat that much, and get enough protein. After 2 weeks weigh yourself and see if you have gained weight. If you have gained too much, drop calories back a bit, if you have gained too little raise them. Make sure you lift hard at the gym and increase weights over time. Done.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Tired

Quote:
I take that as a yes? yikes. I'm going to literally have to eat all that I've eaten today another round of to get anywhere.
What?
No. I linked them in case they wanted to correct anything I wrote. I have learned this myself, but haven't done it to anywhere near the success they have, their knowledge trumps mine, though I am pretty sure I am basically correct. Nobody has suggested you need to eat twice as many calories as you need. Didn't you read my posts, I explained it all.

1. Did you set MFP target weight to gain 0.5lbs per week? If not do that.
2. What was the calorie target given?
3. How much protein in g did you eat today?

post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
1.) Yes it's at .5
2.) Calorie target 2080. Currently above it at 2803.
3.) 126g protein eaten

I have a question: Do you think I should drink muscle milk **** or no

The world is quiet here.

post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It says if I ate everyday like today I'd weigh 161 pounds in 5 weeks. Bull****.

The world is quiet here.
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Tired

@wmu'14

Ok, I don't trust that 2080 is right (internet is saying thats maintenance).

Go here:
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cal...ture-tdee.html

fill it in and post back what it gives ya

post #46 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Tired

Also bear in mind you probably need to have weighed your meals (or they be prepared) for the MFP calories to be accurate.

post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
@wmu'14

Ok, I don't trust that 2080 is right (internet is saying thats maintenance).

Go here:
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cal...ture-tdee.html

fill it in and post back what it gives ya
Ha ha 1781

The world is quiet here.
post #48 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

**** this ****. I'm going to go out and buy a bunch of muscle milk **** now before I go to gym. (Even if I can't gain weight, I like the exercise)

(And for the record, women do like buff guys. They also like guys with fat too. The one thing they don't like is skinny string bean bean pole twig guys)

The world is quiet here.
post #49 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Tired

Ok, that's fine then the MFP probably isn't too far off the mark. So you overate by about 800 calories today, assuming you logged accurately, which you probably didn't.

post #50 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Ok, that's fine then the MFP probably isn't too far off the mark. So you overate by about 800 calories today, assuming you logged accurately, which you probably didn't.
So I overate but that's technically my 'maintenance', correct? I really need to be overeating my overeating, correct?

Yah, got my shoes on off to buy me a bunch of milk.

The world is quiet here.
post #51 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Tired

Ok, well, I salute you sir, you are the long con troll. I actually bought it. Your trolling was a masterful piece of deranged persistence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14
Muscle milk.
Quote:
Fat turning to muscle.
Quote:
And my stereotypes about women are 100% accurate FWIW

I suppose you kept me occupied and my mind off food during my cut at least.

post #52 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Ok, well, I salute you sir, you are the long con troll. I actually bought it. Your trolling was a masterful piece of deranged persistence.

I suppose you kept me occupied and my mind off food during my cut at least.
What's wrong with muscle milk? That's better than miserably failing at eating high above my surplus
Posted via Mobile Device
post #53 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Barbells and kittens

@splendidbob

First off you have the patience of a saint. You pretty well nailed it, not much to add from me.

If Planet Fitness truly doesn't allow barbell lifts you could substitute some dumbbell variations and still make some progress.

Rather than squat, bench and row for workout A and squat, overhead press and deadlift for workout B you could do dumbbell Bulgarian split squats, dumbbell bench and one arm dumbbell rows for workout A and goblet squat, standing dumbbell overhead press and dumbbell Romanian deadlift for workout B.

@wmu'14 I find my maintenance calories to be around 30% higher than the online calculators say they should be. Even if you were the same that would be under 3k calories for you. That shouldn't take any special means to hit every day.
post #54 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
@splendidbob

First off you have the patience of a saint. You pretty well nailed it, not much to add from me.

If Planet Fitness truly doesn't allow barbell lifts you could substitute some dumbbell variations and still make some progress.

Rather than squat, bench and row for workout A and squat, overhead press and deadlift for workout B you could do dumbbell Bulgarian split squats, dumbbell bench and one arm dumbbell rows for workout A and goblet squat, standing dumbbell overhead press and dumbbell Romanian deadlift for workout B.

@wmu'14 I find my maintenance calories to be around 30% higher than the online calculators say they should be. Even if you were the same that would be under 3k calories for you. That shouldn't take any special means to hit every day.
But it assumes everyone has the same metabolism.

Also to get 3K is about half of what I ate yesterday. So essentially id have to eat a whole nother meall.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #55 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
But it assumes everyone has the same metabolism.

Also to get 3K is about half of what I ate yesterday. So essentially id have to eat a whole nother meall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Having never tracked your calories long-term along with your bodyweight you're just assuming you don't have the same metabolism as everyone else because you don't really know for sure. It's very possible you might have a higher metabolism and in that case you'll have to eat more than most people. That's just the reality of this. 3k was just a made up guess by me, by the way, you'll have to figure out your own numbers by trial and error. Starting with those calculators is still your best bet.

My own maintenance calories are in the low 4000's. I know this from years of tracking them and observing my weight. This is the hand I was dealt. I complain sometimes, but in the end I get it done because this is what I want for myself. So I guess you have to ask yourself if this is what you want. Your goal of just not being skinny isn't anything crazy. Hit the gym three times a week and eat (maybe) 3k calories a day. That first year is a breeze. You have a real, step by step blueprint here. It's up to you.
post #56 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
So I went and joined a gym. It was super-intimidating to do this. I had to sit n the parking lot for an hour before I was able to gain the courage to enter it and join. I'm not exaggerating - I was afraid I'd have a panic attack once I got inside.

I walked around the equipment and it was all intimidating. So I sat in the locker room for a bit.

Then I tried a treadmill for like 10 minutes and watched a few people use a couple of the machines so a few minutes after they were done I got off the treadmill and tried those machines. It wasn't hard at all. I went to a couple other machines next but couldn't figure them out. It had a diagram how to use the machine but the machine didn't match the diagram. So then I went home.

I'd say it was pretty successful actually. Yah the people in there all had perfect bodies but they minded their own business and the only staff member was working the front desk and she was very nice.

Nothing intimidating or hard at all. Got to figure out how to use some of the other equipment, and the big thing will be I can't go so late every night.

Using a cardio machine (which I'm comfortable with) first was a great idea and I owe splenddbob here for that advice.. I can do that for 10 minutes or so every time. It got me psyched to try out a machine and got me watching people use them.

I am watching YouTube videos trying to learn the equipment.

Exercising in a gym was something I've wanted to do for 10 years or so now but was always too scared to do it. I get so achey at work sitting at a computer all day and then coming home and watching TV or surfing Internet or reading. I am a string-bean too so I hope this helps with that.

I'm not exaggerating. This is Yuge for me.

post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Having never tracked your calories long-term along with your bodyweight you're just assuming you don't have the same metabolism as everyone else because you don't really know for sure. It's very possible you might have a higher metabolism and in that case you'll have to eat more than most people. That's just the reality of this. 3k was just a made up guess by me, by the way, you'll have to figure out your own numbers by trial and error. Starting with those calculators is still your best bet.

My own maintenance calories are in the low 4000's. I know this from years of tracking them and observing my weight. This is the hand I was dealt. I complain sometimes, but in the end I get it done because this is what I want for myself. So I guess you have to ask yourself if this is what you want. Your goal of just not being skinny isn't anything crazy. Hit the gym three times a week and eat (maybe) 3k calories a day. That first year is a breeze. You have a real, step by step blueprint here. It's up to you.
4K!!?!?!?!?!?!!? What's your meal plan??!?!!?!!??!?!?!
(I really think drinking a lot of milk is the best answer for me (and eating a little more too))

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixWW View Post
Lol, if you are this afraid of a little fitness gym, try a boxing gym. after i joined a boxing gym the fitness gym feels like child play.
LOL it's called a history of Social Anxiety Disorder. But I passed that fear and have exercised there 4 times since joining last Thursday LOL.

The world is quiet here.
post #58 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Permanently An Idiot

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
(I really think drinking a lot of milk is the best answer for me (and eating a little more too))
Eating more cals isn't that difficult. You just have to eat smarter, not necessarily more food.

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning
post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Permanently Banned

be careful with the treadmill, it definitely does cause knee problems, I use knee straps while using it because of this
post #60 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
(I really think drinking a lot of milk is the best answer for me (and eating a little more too)
That's maintenance, I shoot for 5k+ right now. That's three 1000 calorie meals and two 1000 calorie shakes.

Breakfast is usually six slices of turkey bacon, a slice of cheese and an egg on two pieces of low sodium bread, a banana, 12oz of milk and a bowl of oatmeal with a 1/4 cup of granola. If I'm in a hurry I'll just eat like four bowls of cereal, a protein

Lunch is two servings of high protein peanut butter and a serving of jelly on low sodium bread, two servings of frozen veggies, a banana and 12oz of milk.

I make a shake I divide into two servings for mid morning and mid afternoon with the following:
24oz of 2% milk
2 cups oatmeal
1 serving of protein powder
1/2 serving of carb powder
1 cup of kale
1 cup of strawberries
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
6 tablespoons of olive oil
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon of peanut butter

Dinner is two beef patties and two slices of cheese on low sodium bread, 1 1/2 cups of kale pasta, two servings of frozen veggies, a banana and a 12oz glass of milk.

That's my main meal plan. When I eat other meals I just make sure they're around 1000 calories and if not I'll eat other stuff after to make it work out. I'm not a great cook, so i mostly eat the same stuff every day because it's easier than figuring up calories all the time. Getting enough protein is a given and I'm not so much worried about fat and carb ratios as much as total calories. Lately I haven't been doing so great keeping up because I finished school and haven't found a job yet and I'm not getting up as early as normal. That makes it hard to get everything in within a shorter time. When I'm getting up at 5:30am getting 5k+ isn't a big deal. That's why I'm stuck at 220lbs. That's really about as big as I care to be, but I want to bulk up around 235lbs and cut back down to a more lean 220lbs than I am now. I've been doing this for six years now and every bit of strength and size is hard to come by. Everything really has to be on point. It's nothing like that in the beginning though, so don't let that put you off.

Milk definitely helps getting in more calories. Like I said milk, nuts, cereal or whatever you get down easily.

If you're shooting for 3k that's 3 700 calorie meals and two 450 calorie shakes. That's manageable. Or just four 750 calorie meals. I'd try for all food at first or just one shake. Save the special tactics for down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWelshOne View Post
Eating more cals isn't that difficult. You just have to eat smarter, not necessarily more food.
Pretty much. Putting olive oil in/on stuff, drinking milk or whatever works for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page