Joined A Gym! - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
nope, its np wmu, just do what @JH1983 says, go to myfitnesspal.com and log your calories every day, it takes 2 minutes once you are up and running and have your regular meals set in. If you don't have the caloric surplus it isn't going to work.

2 things:

1. The weight you are lifting goes up over time
2. You have a very slight caloric surplus

then you gain muscle. When your body fat gets too high, you keep training and switch to a deficit, rinse and repeat. There isn't any point in being one of those guys who goes to the gym, doesn't do this and just lifts the same weight forever.
x2, @wmu'14

Forgot to mention MyFitnessPal. It's a pain at first, but once you've got everything in there it's easy.

And definitely don't be one of those guys Bob mentioned, every gym is full of them. There's more to this than just screwing around with weights. Gotta progress and gotta eat to gain. Cutting will be a breeze for you like it is for me because we've got high metabolisms. Where we struggle is gaining weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
I definitely need to cut the cardio
Posted via Mobile Device
Not necessarily. Maybe limit it. The heavier you get the more you'll need it because you'll get winded easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
I know all too well. I'm eating 4000+ calories a day just to maintain my weight.

Just some tips:

Shakes are a must between meals. Not just protein powder, but stuff like whole eggs, oatmeal, olive oil (120 calories per tablespoon), peanut butter, fruit and veggies, Greek yogurt, milk, etc. It's easy to make two 1000 calorie shakes and get them down between meals.

Start small and build onto your meals. Like 3 regular meals and add something small to them a little at a time. A serving of peanuts, a banana, a glass of milk or whatever you can get down easily. Build your meals up and eventually start adding a fourth or fifth meal or whatever works for you. Cereal is good, too. Easy to get down. If I get behind or just struggling to get in calories I'll get up in the night and eat a few bowls with a glass of milk.

Tracking your calories is a must. Eating until you're full isn't going to cut it. Set your calorie goals and reach them. Get your gram or gram and a half of protein per pound of bodyweight and fill the rest with whatever ratio of fat and carbs works for you. Personally super high carb makes me really bloated, so I go a little higher on fat. I'll do cheat weekends sometimes, too. Not where I eat more, but eat less. Not so much less it sets me back though. I'll eat whatever I want and quit when I get full. Good for a mental break from constant eating.

First thing you need to do is figure out what it takes to maintain your weight and start eating about 500 calories over that every day. You'll have to adjust occasionally as you gain weight. Don't say you don't have the body for it, you can get used to it if you want it bad enough.
Yikes. Yes this really is not going to work for me. I'm not going to eat non-stop. I'd say I might as well cancel my membership but I guess I don't see what's wrong with lifting for just the exercise.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
x2, @wmu'14

Forgot to mention MyFitnessPal. It's a pain at first, but once you've got everything in there it's easy.

And definitely don't be one of those guys Bob mentioned, every gym is full of them. There's more to this than just screwing around with weights. Gotta progress and gotta eat to gain. Cutting will be a breeze for you like it is for me because we've got high metabolisms. Where we struggle is gaining weight.

Not necessarily. Maybe limit it. The heavier you get the more you'll need it because you'll get winded easier.
Cardio wastes energy that should be going to muscle building. I'm done with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
I'll have to eat non-stop. Keep in mind how much I have to eat just to maintain my scrawniness. I am the runt in the litter. I was scrawny compared to other kids even though I ate more then they did and before they started to lift. And if I eat non-stop, will the gains be worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, give up now.

Eat non stop is total bull****. It's unbelievably easy to make a surplus. I could eat 3000 calories in the next 15 minutes without the slightest bit of trouble. Seriously, when I finish my cut I will make a video showing how easy it is to eat an extra 3-4k calories. You live in the US ffs, just walk into a restaurant and you will absorb 5k calories through the air.

No, the gains probably wont be worth it in your case because:

1. You wont log your calories
2. You won't eat at a surplus
3. You won't keep the weights you lift rising over time.
4. You won't do it consistently and for long enough

Jesus christ I would love to be in your position and be able to actually lift properly, but I can't because of my damn neck, and I might have to stop entirely, and I love it I ****ing really do.

Do 1-4, and in a year you will gain 15-20lbs of muscle. That's all you are going to get if you don't take steroids, that's all anyone can get.

You have been told what you need to do, just do it, or don't.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Tired

Sigh, some posters are just Bob rage bait lol

post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Yikes. Yes this really is not going to work for me. I'm not going to eat non-stop. I'd say I might as well cancel my membership but I guess I don't see what's wrong with lifting for just the exercise.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's not non-stop, just more than you eat now and I was giving you ideas to make it easier. And there's nothing wrong with lifting just for exercise if that's what you're into, but your whole thing was not being skinny anymore and this is how you change that. Or don't, I'm just trying to help you out.

Quote:
No, give up now.

Eat non stop is total bull****. It's unbelievably easy to make a surplus. I could eat 3000 calories in the next 15 minutes without the slightest bit of trouble. Seriously, when I finish my cut I will make a video showing how easy it is to eat an extra 3-4k calories. You live in the US ffs, just walk into a restaurant and you will absorb 5k calories through the air.

Jesus christ I would love to be in your position and be able to actually lift properly, but I can't because of my damn neck, and I might have to stop entirely, and I love it I ****ing really do.

Do 1-4, and in a year you will gain 15-20lbs of muscle. That's all you are going to get if you don't take steroids, that's all anyone can get.

Sucks, too. I'd love to see you be able to because I know you'd be meticulous and highly motivated about it. Also, beast with 3k calories in one sitting. 2k is about my max for one meal. Wish I had your appetite. I've been stuck with my current weight awhile. Just can't find the motivation to eat more.
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Tired

Quote:
Sucks, too. I'd love to see you be able to because I know you'd be meticulous and highly motivated about it. Also, beast with 3k calories in one sitting. 2k is about my max for one meal. Wish I had your appetite. I've been stuck with my current weight awhile. Just can't find the motivation to eat more.
Hah, well, I am an ex 350lb binge eater so, that kinda thing is no problem for me .

It's more like this:

Yeh, some people struggle to get the calories, different problems. Wmu sometimes gets to me and I snap lol.

If he logged his calories, at his weight, its almost unthinkable he would be eating more than 3k per day. And yeh, he isn't losing weight, so he is just talking about eating an extra what, 200-300 cals per day for now. It will go up of course, but it's a pretty big jump from eating a protein bar a day or whatever to "eating non stop" .

Yeh, it's frustrating re training. I think I am able to continue in some capacity anyway . The annoying part is, its worse atm not primarily cos of weight training, but because I went swimming and kinda moved my head from side to side getting the water out of my ears lol. fml.

post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Hah, well, I am an ex 350lb binge eater so, that kinda thing is no problem for me .

It's more like this:

Yeh, some people struggle to get the calories, different problems. Wmu sometimes gets to me and I snap lol.

If he logged his calories, at his weight, its almost unthinkable he would be eating more than 3k per day. And yeh, he isn't losing weight, so he is just talking about eating an extra what, 200-300 cals per day for now. It will go up of course, but it's a pretty big jump from eating a protein bar a day or whatever to "eating non stop" .

Yeh, it's frustrating re training. I think I am able to continue in some capacity anyway . The annoying part is, its worse atm not primarily cos of weight training, but because I went swimming and kinda moved my head from side to side getting the water out of my ears lol. fml.
Yeah, at 160lbs I'd say you're right on at 3k. That'd be four small meals. If he's really serious a year or two of training and diet would have him ahead of 90% of commercial gym members.

That's when it gets you when you're just doing something like shaking your head. A few months ago after a heavy deadlift session I was pulling my deadlift socks off and thought I gave myself a hernia. Luckily it was just some kind of weird stretch and I might've been a little dehydrated. Would've been ironic to get taken down by a sock after pulling heavy weight.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
I joined a 24/7 gym a couple of months ago, I started going at 4am because there's less people at that time so it gave me time to get used to the new surroundings and learn how to use the equipment.

Now I can confidently go at any time and I've got my own routine I do.
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I could honestly see myself losing weight doing this! (The calories are simply burned off exercising and not go to muscle or fat)

I guess I just need to find an eating plan and follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00DBINE View Post
I joined a 24/7 gym a couple of months ago, I started going at 4am because there's less people at that time so it gave me time to get used to the new surroundings and learn how to use the equipment.

Now I can confidently go at any time and I've got my own routine I do.
Congrats! I've been going at 11ish at night when it's not too busy, but want to start working my way to earlier in the evening.

The world is quiet here.
post #31 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
No, give up now.

3 of the 4 are completely possible. The 4th is hardest: Here's the thing about eating at a surplus: That'll get harder and harder the more I gain; Eventually I'll have to be eating non-stop. I don't want to do that.

The world is quiet here.
post #32 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Tired

Quote:
3 of the 4 are completely possible. The 4th is hardest: Here's the thing about eating at a surplus: That'll get harder and harder the more I gain; Eventually I'll have to be eating non-stop. I don't want to do that.
(assume you mean second)

Not until you reach your natural potential or close to, will calories be a big deal, which is like 3 years away or something.

Atm your weight is roughly stable right? that means when you log calories, you will see what calories are your maintenance level. That's literally what you eat right now to maintain. You would then simply make sure protein is high enough (doesn't need to be that high according to the science btw), and then raise by a small amount to gain muscle, but you only want to gain muscle, you don't want to gain fat and that **** has to be dieted off later (and you will lose muscle doing so).

So there are (afaik) 2500 calories per lb of muscle. Let's be really optimistic and say that you are going to gain 24lbs of solid muscle in a year, that amounts to 24*2500=60,000 which equals 164 extra calories per day, or thereabouts. This is on top of what you currently eat. You just need to log it to find out what that amount is.

And don't believe the myth btw, 1lb of extra muscle isnt worth 100 more calories per day, though it will consume extra calories when you intensively train. But realistically, at the end of year 1, you will end up eating something like, what 600 calories more than you do atm, max (not including extra calories burned from the exercise itself, which hunger will take care of). That isn't even remotely challenging, and that's carrying 24 more lbs which basically puts you into the "will attract 17-24 year olds so long as you walk around topless or in muscle shirts" category you want to be in.

It's the exact same deal as weight loss. You think there is some magic going on in your body that means you can't gain / lose weight, until you accurately log it and it turns out you have been eating way more (or in your case less) than you thought.

This btw, is why you stop, research things and don't run with your immediate assumptions. the same applies to things like what women find attractive, fwiw.

I assume you will ignore all of this because really, being honest, you are now looking for an excuse not to go to they gym any more.

post #33 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Not until you reach your natural potential or close to, will calories be a big deal, which is like 3 years away or something.

Atm your weight is roughly stable right? that means when you log calories, you will see what calories are your maintenance level. That's literally what you eat right now to maintain. You would then simply make sure protein is high enough (doesn't need to be that high according to the science btw), and then raise by a small amount to gain muscle, but you only want to gain muscle, you don't want to gain fat and that **** has to be dieted off later (and you will lose muscle doing so).

So there are (afaik) 2500 calories per lb of muscle. Let's be really optimistic and say that you are going to gain 24lbs of solid muscle in a year, that amounts to 24*2500=60,000 which equals 164 extra calories per day, or thereabouts. This is on top of what you currently eat. You just need to log it to find out what that amount is.

And don't believe the myth btw, 1lb of extra muscle isnt worth 100 more calories per day, though it will consume extra calories when you intensively train. But realistically, at the end of year 1, you will end up eating something like, what 600 calories more than you do atm, max (not including extra calories burned from the exercise itself, which hunger will take care of). That isn't even remotely challenging, and that's carrying 24 more lbs which basically puts you into the "will attract 17-24 year olds so long as you walk around topless or in muscle shirts" category you want to be in.

It's the exact same deal as weight loss. You think there is some magic going on in your body that means you can't gain / lose weight, until you accurately log it and it turns out you have been eating way more (or in your case less) than you thought.

This btw, is why you stop, research things and don't run with your immediate assumptions. the same applies to things like what women find attractive, fwiw.

I assume you will ignore all of this because really, being honest, you are now looking for an excuse not to go to they gym any more.
False. I like exercising and am not looking for an excuse to not go to the gym. I hate sitting all day at work and then coming home and sitting. Prior to last week my exercise 'history' included running for fun, running a marathon, riding bikes regularly, going for walks, basketball, golf, track and cross country in high school, body weight exercises at home. All of these (outside of cross country and track in high school; and running a marathon) I try to do every week. I get neck strain and achey in general sitting around all day.

I don't have a problem with gaining fat. That's not an issue at all! Can't my body just turn that fat to muscle?

Yes my weight is roughly stable. I've actually been gaining weight the past couple years. (I don't see it when I look at myself in the mirror though)

Okay, I guess I will do your stupid site and find a 'skinny to regular guy diet' to follow.

(And my stereotypes about women are 100% accurate FWIW)

The world is quiet here.
post #34 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
(assume you mean second)

Okay, it says I need 2080 calories a day. I'm currently at 2155, so I'm over for today.

This website doesn't factor in metabolism though? I don't get it.

EDIT: Forgot the pizza I had today: I need 2080 calories a day. I'm currently at 2479

The world is quiet here.
post #35 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Tired

Quote:
I don't have a problem with gaining fat. That's not an issue at all! Can't my body just turn that fat to muscle?
Read my last post ffs, ignore the final paragraph. No. OMFG. Stop running with things you heard once and ****ing look into it. In fact you don't even have to, just trust what I am telling you. And if you don't believe me, then listen to @JH1983 who is muscular beyond your wildest buffest dreams (see muscle thread). Or ask @LonelyLurker (see muscle thread).

No, fat doesn't turn into muscle, no. Omfg. Fat doesn't turn into muscle in the same way that women don't only like buff guys, wth man? Here is how it works. God help me for explaining it because I know you won't take it in. Maybe someone else will gain benefit from it.

Think of it like this, when you have an excess of calories, your body gains weight. Some of this weight is muscle, some of it is fat, this occurs even if you don't lift weights btw (the muscle gain, but it will be a low %). Lifting weights (progressively, which means more over time) "convinces" your body to gain a higher % of muscle. So in reality you would want to start at say 200 cals per day surplus.

At the end of the year, if you are tight with calories, precise, have great genetics, you gain like 24 lbs of muscle, and 6lbs of fat (or whatever, i haven't calculated it).

Now here is what happens when you try to lose that fat, yeh, you lose some muscle as well, so when you have gotten rid of that fat (assuming you log, keep training hard, eat enough protein etc), you will lose 6 lbs of fat and say 2 lbs of muscle.

Hooray, you are now 22lbs of pure muscle up at the end of the year, great victory.

Now here is what happens if you just eat like a pig and don't log (been there btw, and am having to waste time dieting now as a result). You gain something like 35lbs in the year and convince yourself you have gained 35lbs of muscle. Really you have gained 15lbs of muscle and 20lbs of fat. You diet. When you diet you lose muscle. So at the end, you end up with like 5lbs of pure muscle in a year. Oops.

That is why you log, and you make sure you don't gain excess fat, because contrary to what you for some inexplicable reason think, women in the 17-24 age group who are turned on by "muscular dudes" aren't turned on by dudes who have just spent a year basically getting fat.

That is how it works. It just is. You either listen to me, do it properly, get all your pins lined up at the start, or you waste a year gaining virtually no muscle, a bunch of fat and then complain "girls don't like me because I am fat, they are wrong to do so".

Just listen, stop being obstinate for the sake of it, and do it properly.

And yes, /sigh, women in your age group will be more attracted to you if you have a lean muscular physique. It isn't your main problem, btw, but it will help you. Christ. I said it now.

This is your guide.

1. Ideally, start following a good program like stronglifts or whatever. I will leave this for you to research because you can't be spoonfed every damn thing in life. Learn the basic compound lifts properly, so you don't get injured. You don't have to do this, but its going to get you in and out of the gym quicker and be more effective.

2. Train full body 3x per week

3. Make sure that over time the weights, or reps, but ideally the weights go up in time. The more they go up the more muscle you will gain.

4. Log your daily intake via myfitnesspal. You may need to weigh food to be accurate, but you can perhaps skip this depending on 6.

5. Eat minimum of 60-80g protein per day, in reality safer to go higher, 100-150 or whatever. No need for protein powder etc tho.

6. Monitor and log your weight. Raise calories from maintenance (the level which you don't gain weight) by 200 calories for a couple of weeks, see what your weight is. You want to gain no more than 2-3 lbs per month. Absolutely no more than 4. And you better be lifting properly or its gonna be mostly fat. Adjust calories as you go according to weight, mostly ignore MFP's guide though it might be roughly accurate, it might not.

At the end of the year you have gained a whopping amount of muscle, hopefully minimal fat, a tonne of strength and those 17 year old's will be all over you at the beach.

post #36 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Tired

Quote:
Okay, it says I need 2080 calories a day. I'm currently at 2155, so I'm over for today.

This website doesn't factor in metabolism though? I don't get it.

EDIT: Forgot the pizza I had today: I need 2080 calories a day. I'm currently at 2479
Ima ignore this and let you read the post I made after it

post #37 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Read my last post ffs, ignore the final paragraph. No. OMFG. Stop running with things you heard once and ****ing look into it. In fact you don't even have to, just trust what I am telling you. And if you don't believe me, then listen to @JH1983 who is muscular beyond your wildest buffest dreams (see muscle thread). Or ask @LonelyLurker (see muscle thread).

No, fat doesn't turn into muscle, no. Omfg. Fat doesn't turn into muscle in the same way that women don't only like buff guys, wth man? Here is how it works. God help me for explaining it because I know you won't take it in. Maybe someone else will gain benefit from it.

Think of it like this, when you have an excess of calories, your body gains weight. Some of this weight is muscle, some of it is fat, this occurs even if you don't lift weights btw (the muscle gain, but it will be a low %). Lifting weights (progressively, which means more over time) "convinces" your body to gain a higher % of muscle. So in reality you would want to start at say 200 cals per day surplus.

At the end of the year, if you are tight with calories, precise, have great genetics, you gain like 24 lbs of muscle, and 6lbs of fat (or whatever, i haven't calculated it).

Now here is what happens when you try to lose that fat, yeh, you lose some muscle as well, so when you have gotten rid of that fat (assuming you log, keep training hard, eat enough protein etc), you will lose 6 lbs of fat and say 2 lbs of muscle.

Hooray, you are now 22lbs of pure muscle up at the end of the year, great victory.

Now here is what happens if you just eat like a pig and don't log (been there btw, and am having to waste time dieting now as a result). You gain something like 35lbs in the year and convince yourself you have gained 35lbs of muscle. Really you have gained 15lbs of muscle and 20lbs of fat. You diet. When you diet you lose muscle. So at the end, you end up with like 5lbs of pure muscle in a year. Oops.

That is why you log, and you make sure you don't gain excess fat, because contrary to what you for some inexplicable reason think, women in the 17-24 age group who are turned on by "muscular dudes" aren't turned on by dudes who have just spent a year basically getting fat.

That is how it works. It just is. You either listen to me, do it properly, get all your pins lined up at the start, or you waste a year gaining virtually no muscle, a bunch of fat and then complain "girls don't like me because I am fat, they are wrong to do so".

Just listen, stop being obstinate for the sake of it, and do it properly.

And yes, /sigh, women in your age group will be more attracted to you if you have a lean muscular physique. It isn't your main problem, btw, but it will help you. Christ. I said it now.

This is your guide.

1. Ideally, start following a good program like stronglifts or whatever. Learn the basic compound lifts properly, so you don't get injured. You don't have to do this, but its going to get you in and out of the gym quicker.

2. Train full body 3x per week

3. Make sure that over time the weights, or reps, but ideally the weights go up in time. The more they go up the more muscle you will gain.

4. Log your daily intake via myfitnesspal. You may need to weigh food to be accurate, but you can perhaps skip this depending on 6.

5. Eat minimum of 60g protein per day, in reality safer to go higher, 100-150 or whatever. No need for protein powder etc tho.

6. Monitor and log your weight. Raise calories from maintenance (the level which you don't gain weight) by 200 calories for a couple of weeks, see what your weight is. You want to gain no more than 2-3 lbs per month. Absolutely no more than 4. And you better be lifting properly or its gonna be mostly fat. Adjust calories as you go according to weight, mostly ignore MFP's guide though it might be roughly accurate, it might not.

At the end of the year you have gained a whopping amount of muscle, hopefully minimal fat, a tonne of strength and those 17 year old's will be all over you at the beach.
LOL Bob. You crack me up.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with gaining fat. ANY weight gain is GOOD weight gain! I don't want to be told I'm a ****ing string bean.

Also, so what you're saying, when your website tells me 'this is your target calories', and I'm already above it just to maintain my current weight, I actually need to eat even above that? Crazy.

Also, can I just drink that muscle milk or whatever it's called. Will that help me too? (I remember in college I'd drink milk like crazy and that fills you up / gains weight on itself)

The world is quiet here.
post #38 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Ima ignore this and let you read the post I made after it
This still isn't clear. What you're telling me is I need to eat above the surplus I have on your website, correct? That's a ****-ton of food.

The world is quiet here.
post #39 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Tired

Obv I bow before the superior wisdom of the two gents mentioned, as they have actually done it if they wish to correct me.

post #40 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Obv I bow before the superior wisdom of the two gents mentioned, as they have actually done it if they wish to correct me.
I take that as a yes? yikes. I'm going to literally have to eat all that I've eaten today another round of to get anywhere.

The world is quiet here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page